*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2140582-The-Diner
Rated: E · Short Story · Action/Adventure · #2140582
First Short Story
         
Page          | 7

         
The Diner


         A low grumble erupted in my stomach giving me the signal to pull over at the next stop, the road beginning to cause my eyes to droop.
         "Hey hun, are you hungry?" I asked turning my attention from the road to my girlfriend, Rachael, sitting in the passenger seat.
         "Yeah babe, the last time I ate was at my parents," she replied with a smile, rubbing her plump round belly.
         My left hand replaced the right on the steering wheel while my right hand moved to her pregnant belly, rubbing it softly as a smile formed across my face. I returned my attention to the road, the headlights of my pick up catching a large reflective sign reading, Darrell's Diner in 50 mi.
         "We could stop there," I stated pointing out the sign as we past it, giving a small laugh "We could get you and the baby some breakfast and myself some coffee." My eyes focused on the road but my mental focus was being pulled to the conversation I had shared with Racheal's father a few days before.
         "Tom, can I talk to you?" I asked gesturing toward the back door. We both moved through the kitchen then to the back door, leaving Racheal and her mother to discuss names for the baby. Moving onto their back porch each of us took a seat in sturdy wooden chairs Rachael's father had built.
         "Look sir, coming to visit wasn't the only reason I wanted to come up here," I stated as I moved toward the edge of my seat looking Tom in the eyes. "I wanted to ask for your blessing so I can marry your daughter."
         "Are you trying to marry her, because you got her pregnant?" he questioned in a stern voice as he leaned further back into his chair.
         "Look sir, I know that I got Rachael pregnant," I stated embarrassed, "But I love your daughter. I know my job isn't one that's ideal for a marriage, because every day there is a possibility I won't make it home, but I will fight every day to make sure I do to protect Rachael and our child."
         Tom's dark brown eyes narrowed as the contemplated my words; he moved to the edge of the seat. "Jackson, if you can promise to keep my daughter and that child safe then you have my blessing."
         "Sir, I will protect them with my life," I stated with an unwavering voice.
         "We will see about that," he whispered. As we both rose from our chairs, I shot my hand out to shake his own but was met with a hug instead.
         "Welcome to the family."
         Before he could enter the door, I gripped his forearm to stop him. "Don't let Rachael know yet I'm planning on asking her on the way back."
         A set of headlights advancing from the opposite direction caused my focus to shift from popping the question back to the road. An hour had passed the sun had descended below the horizon as we drove down the highway when the sign for Darrell's Diner appeared; it wasn't hard to miss in the dark night sky, its bright lights drawing in travelers like moths to a bug zapper. Flipping on my blinker, I exited the highway into the gravel parking lot then parked the pick-up in front of Darrell's Diner and killed the engine.
         "Hun, we're here," I stated.
         I pulled the keys from the ignition before hopping out of the pickup then quickly moved around the front end of the pickup to open her door. After helping out of the truck, she led the way into the diner taking our seats in a booth, against the far wall with the entire diner in view.
         An older woman looking woman, wearing a pair of faded jeans and a pink shirt tucked into her jeans, approached our booth; placing menus in front of us, "How are y'all doing this evening? What can I get ya to drink?"
         "I'll take a coffee." I yawned.
         "And for you, darlin'?"
         "Can I have a sweet tea, please?" Racheal asked politely.
         "I'll get those right out for ya," she replied and moved back behind the bar.
         "Are y'all ready to order?" she questioned politely.
         Racheal skimmed over her menu before answering, "I would like the breakfast dinner please with scrambled eggs."
         "And for you, hun?" she asked.
         "I'll just have a cheeseburger," I replied "Thank you."
         She retreated, then passed the order through the window to the cook then refilled the trucker's coffee at the bar. I took notice of another couple across the diner, who shared laughs and smiled; both wore wedding bands and held hands.
         "That's what I want for us," I stated softly to Rachael, gesturing with my head in the couple's directions. She shifted her body to examine the couple then back giving me the same kind smile that made me fall for her.
         This is the moment, I thought as my hands felt my pockets, but the box that contained the ring was missing from my pocket which caused my anxiety to spike even more.
                   "Babe, I'll be right back," I said "I forgot something in the truck."
         I made my way to the entrance of the diner, walking past the waitress with our plated food balanced on her hands. I exited the diner then quickly rushed to the driver's side of the pickup then proceeded to open the door and searched for the box housing the engagement ring. First I checked the center console first without any luck then I moved to the back seat and rifled through the pockets of my jacket still unable to find it.
         Only one more place to look, I thought as my hand ran along the side pocket in the door, where my side arm and shield rested.
         My fingers bushed against the box relieving my worry and anxiety that had begun to consume me. Removing the ring from its housing, I let it fall to the bottom of my pocket when screams rang out from the diner. My reflexes caused me to draw my side arm from the side door, clicking the safety off then I softly closed the truck door careful not to make a sound. Crouched, I moved toward the back side of the truck to get a better view of the commotion inside of the diner. I peered over the bed of the pick-up, to discover two scrawny men; both dressed very poorly like they were maybe addicts looking to rob the place for their next score.
         "Open the damn register lady!" yelled a man as he roughly placed the pistol against her head, as she nervously attempted to do so.
         "Everyone take your wallets and jewelry and put 'em on the table!" yelled his partner toting a shotgun at his hip.
         The man with the shotgun began to move toward Racheal, causing my adrenaline to pump even harder; he ordered her to remove her valuables. A single shot rang out causing more screams, my vision darted to the accomplice holding his gun in the air; both men waved their weapons around even more. Crouched low to the ground, I advanced closer taking a positon against the diner next to the entrance.
         "Hey, leave that woman alone!" ordered a different male voice.
         The man with the shotgun turned to advance in the directions of the couple, "What was that boy?"
         His partner with the pistol moved in closer as well, like hyenas to a wounded prey then placed his pistol against the man's temple; his wife began to sob at the sight begging and pleading with the man not to shoot. I gripped the door handle, I took a deep breath before yanking the door open with my side arm already aimed at the assailants.
         "U.S. Marshall, drop your weapons," I demanded, "Now!"
         Both men froze; the shotgun wielding man with his back to myself tensed as his accomplice eyed me carefully then looking to his partner gave him a quick nod. The shotgun wielder began to spin only to be met by a bullet from my side arm, but another shot rang out as a burning sensation burrowed into my shoulder. The man with the pistol quickly yanked the man from the booth, using him as a human shield; I kept my aim on the assailant doing my best to ignore the radiating pain in my shoulder.
         Just as the pistol wielder began to speak, I saw my opportunity to take my shot. My bullet found its target as the assailant fell to the floor while the patron stood, unharmed.
         "Oh my God! Jackson are you okay?" cried Rachael.
         I turned to meet her as she threw her arms around me, causing me to let out a groan as pain shot throughout my shoulder. She quickly released me, apologized with all of her sincerity then letting me take a seat in a booth. I placed my side arm on the table then drove my hand into my pocket and retrieved the small ring between my fingers.
         "I guess now is as good a time as any," I stated as I moved out of the booth and down on a knee.
         I watched as her hands moved covering her mouth and the tears begin to brim in her eyes, "Rachael, will you marry me?"
         She placed her hand in mine, allowing me to slide the ring onto her finger; her face erupted with a smile and attempted to hug me again causing more groans to come out of myself. The police arrived several minutes after; examined the scene, they took photos of everything then questioned each person that witnessed the events. After the ambulance had patched up my shoulder and the police released everyone, while I helped Rachael into the pickup my cell phone began to vibrate in my pocket. I removed the cell phone from my pocket, looking to the caller I.D.; it read Tom Smith.
         "Hello?" I asked.
         "I'm glad to know that you keep your promises," stated a familiar voice, "Welcome to the family..."
         
         
         

© Copyright 2017 T. Hollis (tlrhollis at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2140582-The-Diner