*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2083431-The-Invisible-Man
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2083431
Writer's Cramp challenge. Last line must be "I am the invisible man."
My name is Robin, which is quiet apropos, as you will see. But I'm getting ahead of myself, now aren't I?

Mexico City, Mexico

The children played in the dirt courtyard of the orphanage. Their toys were mostly broken or discarded things scrounged from the garbage. A plastic cup was used to dig a hole in the dirt. That was until Sister Hernandez caught Julio.

"Julio, please do not dig holes in the courtyard. Sister Mary Catherine could fall. Heaven forbid," she said crossing herself three times. "Please fill in the hole and stamp it down with your feet."

Julio did as the Sister asked. He then took his cup and squeezed his thin little body between the side of the orphanage and the fence post. He walked past the bakery and the wonderful aroma made his hunger more pronounced. He would stop on the way back if he were lucky.

Señor Ramirez stepped out on the sidewalk before Julio. The boy stopped in his tracks. "I'm watching you," said the man that sold the fruits and vegetables. His finger jabbing at the air before him.

Julio ran to the other side of the street and walked past the grocery store where they sold his favorite candy. His mouth watered just as the thought of the tangy sweetness. Maybe he would stop here instead if he were lucky.

He stood on his favorite corner where the tourist and the rich Mexicans would come to eat under colorful umbrellas and gaze out at the mass of humanity scurrying from here to there. Julio was too old to take the hand of a passing stranger and look darling. He just had to rattle his cup and look as forlorn and hungry as he was.

Señor Freddie sat smoking a fat cigar dressed in his fancy clothes. His sat in the shade of the restaurant's metal roof and sipped his tequila. He had seen Julio so there was no choice. The boy would have to greet him.

"Good day, Señor Freddie," said Julio holding the cup behind his back and stuffing it in the waist of his pants.

"Good day, Señor Jesus," said the man. "When are you going to leave those Sister's and come work for me?"

"The Sister's, they need me," said Julio not bothering to correct Freddie. He tried to stand still although his knees were quivering.

"No, I need you, Jesus. Please sit," said Freddie pointing to the empty seat across from him. He reached in his pocket for the thick wad of bills. He peeled off several and threw them on the table. "Poncho, get the boy some food."

"Thank you, Señor Freddie," said Julio quietly.

Freddie stood and his guards accompanied him to his car.

Julio grabbed Freddie's glass and swallowed the last half inch of liquor. It burned on the way down and was warm in his belly.

"Julio, you need to stay away from him. He is a bad man," said Poncho as he sat a plate of beans, rice and enchiladas before the boy.

"I know, Poncho, but he saw me. I don't like him. All my friends that worked for him are gone to heaven," said Julio.

"It's okay. Eat," said Poncho. He picked up the bills and tossed a few back to Julio.

"Thank you," said Julio. He devoured the meal.


Señor Freddie sat alone in his safe room counting his money.

"Señor Freddie, why don't you give more of that money to the orphanage?" said a voice.

Freddie stood up and spun around looking for the voice in the empty room.

"I am the spirit of all the children you have harmed in your narcotics business," said the voice.

Freddie sat down, pulled his Saint Christopher medal from his shirt and began to pray.

"That medal and your prayers won't help you, but a tithing of say, 25,000 pesos a week to the orphanage will keep me from haunting your every moment," said the voice.

"25,000?" complained Freddie still looking about the room.

"Alright. Then 50,000 will be perfect. And leave the children out of your debauchery or worse things will happen to you," said the voice. A loud report as though a hand slapped the table caused Freddie to jump from his chair.

"Okay, okay," cried Freddie.

The safe room door opened and the guards stormed in with guns drawn.

"Boss, is everything okay?" asked Carlos.

"We need to visit the orphanage now," said Freddie. He stood and pulled out 50,000 pesos from the millions before him.


My name is Robin. I am an invisible man.
© Copyright 2016 NeedingBeachDuf 🐠⛵🏝️ (meduf at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2083431-The-Invisible-Man