*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2035591-Auckland-FC
Rated: E · Other · Other · #2035591
Article about the club and its history
Auckland City Football Club is based in Auckland, New Zealand's largest city. The club was founded in 2004. It was during their first season that Auckland City Football Club beat their rivals Waitakere United. Despite being only ten years old, Auckland City Football Club have competed in five FIFA Club World Cup tournaments. The club competes in the eight-team ASB Premiership which is the highest level of domestic football in the country. Their opening match was a 2-0 defeat against Cairo giants Al Ahly back in 2006. Appearances in 2011, 2012 and 2013 also resulted in single match showings with narrow defeats against J.League clubs on the first two occasions and Morocco’s Raja Casablanca last year. Undoubtedly their standout performance was at Abu Dhabi 2009 when the New Zealanders beat both the host representatives, and the champions of Africa. Those memorable victories over Al Ahli and TP Mazembe Englebert saw the amateur club claim an impressive fifth-place finish. Auckland City FC is an amateur club with most players having full-time occupations outside of football. Auckland City began their second NZFC campaign the same way they finished off their first and led the competition for most of the season.
© Copyright 2015 Grace Jeffries (gracielou at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2035591-Auckland-FC