*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1985980-Rose-the-Grim-Reaper
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Death · #1985980
It's about a 13 year old grim reaper named Rose, and her time w/ Earl Edward Samart
Prologue


Hi, I'm Rose Sutcliff, grim reaper. I'll tell you something I bet you didn't know. Grim reapers are all male, so I suppose I'm gay. Also, we're near sighted, so we wear glasses. We don't look like death, either. Our death scythes can cut through anything. We watch those on our "To Die" list, and collect their Cintimatic records to decide if they deserve to die or not when they expire. Don't get your hopes up. It's rare that you deserve not to die. To you humans, I'm 13. And lastly, unless we get murdered or commit suicide, we're immortal. Now, I can't waste anymore of my time conversing with you. Farewell.

One


It was off of Sunset Avenue, near the school that I met him, Edward. His attire was straight from the late 1800's. It was pouring, and he didn't have an umbrella, so I guess I took pity on him because I came over and covered us both with mine. He slowly looked up at me with eyes that conveyed hopelessness and despair, and for a second I thought he was dead.

"Need any help?" I inquired and he didn't answer.

"I'm not sure of where I am. Not that long ago, I was struck by lightning and a girl grabbed me. I'm not even sure of who I am anymore." He whispered. It dawned on me that I was towering over him, so I knelt down and offered him my hand. A crack of lightning screeched nearby, and it caused us both to jump and look in that direction.

"You must be freezing. Come on, you can stay at my place." I urged quickly. He stared off into space, considering my offer. When he jumped from a loud rumble of thunder, he took my hand.

"My name's Rose. What's your name?" I asked him after I helped him up.

"Edward." His voice was barely audible.

"Also, you're not in the 19th century anymore. You're in the 21st. Specifically 2014."

Two


Only after Edward was dry and beginning to warm up to me did I realize how small he was. Even if you included his wire as a part of his height, I was still at least a foot taller than him. His eyes were a deep green, with a hint of sapphire.

"How old are you?" I asked him; sure that he wasn't a day over ten.

"I'm twelve." He said. I knew that he was warming up to me, but he still gave me brief answers. I knew he wasn't lying about what happened. There was a girl who could travel back in time and to different dimensions, and the description was a perfect match. He told me about his life before, and how he was Earl Samart.

~


In under an hour, Edward and I had bonded tremendously, and he would talk to me freely. I told him that I was going to teach him how to live on the streets of Baltimore country, so in other words, how to fight. When we got outside, I instantly punched him in the face, but before I made contact, he caught my fist. I kicked him clockwise all the way, causing him to fall backwards and release my fist. I taught him for a year, building an unbreakable bond in the process.

Three


I hopped backwards, narrowly avoiding Edward as I checked my "To Die" list for him, and to my surprise, he wasn't there.

"Hey, Ed." I called after I stopped.

"What is it?" he asked and stopped.

"Catch." I said and tossed him my gun. I didn't need it since I had my death scythe.

"Geh?" He exclaimed, barely catching it.

"What's this for?" He fingered the gun as he said this.

"W-well, you need more than your fists, right?" I stammered and blushed as he met my eye.

"Rose?" He whispered gently, beginning to walk over.

"What is it?" I blushed even more when he held my hands in his own.

"I never told you this, but I think I love you..." He paused and smiled sweetly.

"You have a sense of kindness, despite your appearance. And, whenever I look into your eyes, I see us both. Together. Happy." As he said this, his eyes sparkled, and I could see the dark aqua and purple of my eyes reflected off of his light turquoise.

"You're wrong." I muttered and dropped my hands to my sides.

"What?" the sparkle in his eyes was gone.

"I'm a grim reaper, so I live forever. I want to say that you're right, I really do, but you'll just die of old age, and leave me here alone." I explained sadly.

"Is that going to change anything in our relationship?" He said after a few minutes and I smiled a little.

"No. But come on, I need to collect somebody's Cintimatic records." I said and started to walk to Edmonson.

"What're Cintimatic records?" Edward asked as he caught up to me.

"I'll explain on the way there."

Four


By the time we reached Edmonson, Edward had figured out that in order to fire the gun, he needed to click off the safety. A man slowly came into view and was clearly walking directly towards us, and upon closer inspection, he had a gun in his hand.

"That." I said and pointed to the man.

"Is Charles Blanx." I said and lowered my hand, placing them on my death scythes, a pair of myrmidon blades. I looked up and saw that Charles was walking faster, eying us. I readied myself to battle him.

"I'm gonna make you both scream." He said and aimed his gun at me.

"Die!" He shouted and before I could react to the bullet heading towards me, Edward jumped in front of me and took it to the head. I dropped to my knees, took the gun from his hands and pressed it against my chin.

"I love you too, Edward..." I whispered as I pulled the trigger, hands trembling.

                             





© Copyright 2014 Sebastian (mad_hattress at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1985980-Rose-the-Grim-Reaper