*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1974193-Belay-200-Word-Story-Contest-Entry
Rated: E · Short Story · Contest Entry · #1974193
Rock climbing and mother-daughter relationships.
Every muscle in her body ached. Pain radiated out from her fingertips as she let go of her handhold and push! Her leg shook until it nearly failed her, but she gripped the next rock on the wall. Mother yelled an encouraging word from below on the other end of the rope.

Why was she doing this again? Because her therapist had recommended it? She grunted and grappled for another rock. The physical exercise was supposed to be an outlet for her anger.

She pulled herself up. This was supposed to be a bonding experience, to reestablish trust between them or something. After Mother had robbed her of a childhood, she wasn’t sure what good rock climbing would do.

She only felt like she was climbing up and away. Away from Mother telling her she was too fat or not understanding enough. All the times Mother was never there. Prom, graduation, moving into her dorm. All the unanswered phone calls, the begging off from family events because Mother was too tired or sick.

One more push to the top! Her sweaty fingers failed her. This time at least, she smiled, Mother would be there to catch her as she fell.

© Copyright 2014 Morgan Wiggs (vkies at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1974193-Belay-200-Word-Story-Contest-Entry