*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1944521-Griffon-Rider
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Higg
Rated: ASR · Fiction · Action/Adventure · #1944521
A boy discovers that he is to be a legendary Griffon Rider.
Once upon a time...

Well, actually, that makes it seem like it was a long time ago. It wasn't. Maybe ten years ago, which when you think about it in relation to our knowledge of time, is actually quite miniscule. Even still, it was once upon a time, I guess.

In a land far, far away...

... Now that I think about it, it wasn't far away at all. It was a few miles away, really.

So much for a traditional beginning. Ehh, it sounds good anyway.

Once upon a time, in a land far, far away, there lived a boy, who on all accounts was quite normal. He looked very normal, like any other kid his age. He had sandy, brown hair, a skinny build, and was about four feet tall. He was a bit stronger than the average boy though. That came from working on a farm, his parents' farm actually. He could beat any kid in his class in an arm-wrestle, he was so strong.

That's right, you heard correctly. I said "class." He was even lucky enough to live close enough to a school to which he could walk. It took him an hour, but it was worth it, to learn his letters and numbers. He wasn't the sharpest kid in school, but he did well enough, and oddly enough, he enjoyed going. It was partly because it gave him a few hours during which he didn't have to worry about his chores, and the subjects were actually quite entertaining for him.

Like I said though, he was still quite an ordinary boy, which meant he also had his fair share of curiosity, and as a result, adventure. But you see, adventure doesn't always wait to be sought out, and on this well-fated day, adventure found him.

School was done for the day, and as usual, he wasn't sure how he felt about it. Like any other boy he was glad he didn't have to keep sitting on those darn hard, wooden benches, but he also knew he needed to get back home quickly so that he could help tend his father's crops.

His curiosity often got the best of him after school and he would often find unknown paths home. Today though, he decided to take his normal route home since he had so much to take care of at home. He knew this route so well, that he didn't have to pay much attention to where he was going. Plus, he knew that if he took the normal route that he could use that time to memorize his new list of vocabulary words and get done with his homework early.

That decided, he flopped his shoulder bag on the bench and pulled out the list of vocabulary words. He then slung the bag back over his shoulder and hustled out through the weather beaten, school door, down the smooth, wooden steps, and onto the smoothly paved cobblestones of the square.

The city of Brillow was busy, but not packed, like it would be in a couple of weeks for spring festival. Sure, it was the biggest city in the area, but there were a few other cities near by where a lot of merchants also went to sell their wears. Each city seemed to have its own specialty though and Brillow's pride was its culinary and baking treasures.

To avoid the busyness though, he moved his way around the north corner of the school as quickly as he could. Once he go into the shade of the school building he began to memorize his new vocabulary. He would look at the word, read the definition, and then repeat them as many times as he could stand. This also gave him the chance to keep an eye on where he was going, not that it mattered much. He knew this way home like the back of his eyelids. He did have to pay extra attention to others though, that he didn't run into anyone.

Every time that came up though, it reminded him of the first time he ran into someone on his way home. It was one of those street jugglers and unfortunately for (the boy) the juggler was doing his knife routine. Well, the juggler got knocked of balance and two of the knives almost skewered (the boy). One clatter off the cobblestones and narrowly missed the boy's leg while the other one pierced his shoe between the big toe and ...

"Wait a minute," he thought, "I need to pay more attention to my vocab!"

That's when he also took notice of his surroundings, and nothing seemed familiar. He was in an alleyway he'd never seen before. He turned around to look at where he'd come from and the street he'd turned from looked very familiar. He tried thinking back to what the street looked like the last time he'd been here. He couldn't remember an alley at all. He walked back to the intersection just to double check, and sure enough, he was on course except for this alleyway.

He turned around again to look down the alley, when a white-washed sign with red, painted letters caught his attention. It was on a gate, to what should be the back of a house, but there was definitely a porch several feet behind the gate.

The sign was a couple hundred feet away, so he decided to get a little closer to see what it said. Also, what he thought he was reading was just too fantastical to be true. As he drew closer, though, his wonder and amazement only grew. His eyes hadn't been playing tricks on him in neat, flowing, graceful writing the message, "Free Griffon Cubs!" was written.

It was understandable that he had a hard time believing what he was seeing. Just to make sure it was real he wiped his fingers down the sign and then traced the word "griffon" with his pointer finger.

As he did so, his desire to find out more increased. He pushed the gate half way open before he realized what he was doing. He briskly shook his head and took stock of the situation.

"Mom would never allow me to have one," he thought. "It'd cause way too much trouble ..."

Then his thoughts suddenly changed. "But it wouldn't hurt just to look. After all, I've never seen one before. I've only heard about them in those stories that my father/mother tell us at bed time. It can't hurt. I won't be long."

At that he pushed the gate back open and walked down the path to the porch steps. After he climbed up the steps, he somewhat timidly reached out his fist to knock on the front door. As his knuckles touched the hard wood of the door, it was immediately pulled open, causing him to jump back a little in surprise. In fact, he went far enough back to almost throw himself down the stairs.

In the doorway stood an old man who was undoubtedly a wizard. He was quite tall, at least to the boy. He had on a grey robe that fluttered backwards in the draft going through the doorway. But that wasn't what identified him best. It was the goofy, floppy hat that he wore on his coarse, grey hair. For some reason, only wizards found it fashionable to wear something so odd on their heads, or so he thought. At least, that's what all the stories said. It was a wide-brimmed, grey hat that came to a point, but it wouldn't stand straight up, it just flopped over to one side.

Under the wide-brimmed hat there was an old, wrinkly head with hair almost down to the shoulders and a coarse beard that extended only a couple inches from his face.

"Well, hello there, young man!" said the kindly, old face.

"Hi!" the boy managed to quietly squeak.

"What can I do for you?" the old man asked in his rich tenor voice.

All the boy could get out was another barely audible squeak. He was still shocked from the surprise.

"Now, don't worry. Just calm down a little and try it again," said the old wizard.

At those words he suddenly found courage to speak in his normal voice again. "I wanted to come see the griffon cubs."

"Great! I thought no body was ever going to come by. Follow me around to the side of the house and we'll go have a look."

"Side?!" the boy thought. There wasn't enough room between this and either building to be going around any sides. At least, that he could remember.

As he followed the old man back down the steps and left along the front of the house, he soon noticed that there was room, and to spare. As they came closer to the edge of the house, a large, well-kept, yet weather-worn barn came into view. The large front barn doors faced the house, and seemed strong, but rarely used. The barn wasn't painted so it was that ugly bleached, brown color, but it still fit well into the surroundings.

"How did I miss this before?" the boy thought. "Have you lived here long?" He asked the old wizard.

"Oh yes! Many years! It's a very nice spot of land," he replied. As they approached the large barn doors the wizard said, "Why do you ask?"

"Well, I thought I knew the city backwards and forwards, but I've never noticed this house before, or this alley for that matter."

The old man chuckled softly as they continued towards the barn. A few seconds passed and they were in front of the huge, wooden doors. The old man noiselessly pulled open another smaller door that seemed hidden within the larger one.

The boy could see a dull glow on the other side of the doorway which illuminated a stall gate with a wooden plaque nailed to it. As he stepped inside the boy could see many similar stalls lining a central path, covered in golden straw. The boy counted eight stalls on each side, each with a plaque that had the same red-painted handwriting as the front gate had had.

As he stepped in, he heard the rustle of feathers up and down the whole barn, with a few scattered beak clicks. The whole place smelled of freshly strewn straw. The immaculate smell also brought to his attention how the condition of the barn interior resembled the smell. Clean and fresh. The inside and outside of the barn were absolute opposites. This was no ordinary barn! In fact, the boy couldn't even really identify the source of the light. Sure, there were lanterns hanging from every stall post, but none of them were lit. The only way he could describe it, was that the walls were putting off light. Even still, the light was not harsh and over-bearing.

Just then the small door clattered shut, causing the boy to jump and turn in alarm. The boy suddenly realized that he was alone with an old and intimidating man and probably sixteen large beasts. His eyes started darting about in alarm, looking for safety.

In a cool and calming, deep voice the man said, "There is nothing to be afraid of here child. No one, or thing, will harm you here. Now, go take a look"

That soothing, deep voice put him immediately at ease and he was once again able to drink in the aroma and feeling of his surroundings.

He could hear the pawing and clawing of dirt to his left and right. To his left, in that red flowing script, he saw the word "Merlin." To the right, in the same handwriting, he read "Thistle." Behind each plaque he saw a pair of ivory-white wings fanning up and out, as if they were stretching, like one would do after a nap.

He walked down the aisle and saw a few more names and wings or bronze beaks. "Briggs," "Sky," "Wing" were a few of those names. All of them, were magnificent and regal beast, but none of them seemed to notice him. Then he came to a stall that had a plaque, but nothing written on it. The boy thought there was then no beast inside and almost just passed it by. Right before he passed out of sight he heard a slight shuffle and then a soft, but distinct cry from inside. As he took a second look inside, he saw a small, feathered beast lying curled up against the wall. The harsh glint of its keen eyes caught the boy's attention and their eyes locked. The boy almost felt as if the beast were speaking to him.

Without releasing his gaze, the boy asked, "Why does this one not have a name?"

Before the old wizard could respond, the boy knew the answer and mouthed the words along with the old man, "Because you have not named him yet."

"But why me?" he asked futilely, because the answer came to him, as if someone had spoken them right after the question left his lips. Because we have been bound together since our births.

"I think you already know the answer to that," replied the old man. The boy's quizzical gaze then shifted to the wizard. "Every now and then, when a griffon is born there is also a child born, somewhere, at the same time. They both come to this world so bound, for... Their souls are linked and cannot be separated. In time, the two will meet, forever joining their paths.

"When they meet, a name must be given to the griffon by the human; otherwise, upon parting both will die. Every rider describes the Naming differently, but all confirm that a telepathic link is solidified at that time."

"Whoa! Are you being serious?!" exclaims the boy.

Yes Reginold, he is.

Reginold immediately began looking around the barn, even behind the wizard and yells, "Who's there? I thought you said we're alone?"

It's me, Reginold, your griffon companion.

The boy stopped in his tracks, and slowly turns back to the young griffon, a skeptical gleam in his eyes.

"How do you know my name?"

Weren't you listening to my kind, old wizard friend?

"Well, yeah, but does that mean that you can see any thoughts in my head?"

Yes. Past and present.

"But I haven't named you yet."

I guess our close proximity is the cause. How else could we know that we've found each other?

"Huh... Oh, good point." He then turned to the old man in consternation. "Wait, I can't take him home! My mom would freak out!"

"Don't worry child," said the old man in his deep and soothing voice. "That is what I am here for. Sometimes this meeting does not happen at such a yound age and it's not as big of a problem. In situations like yours though I am happy to stable your companion for free, until the time is right."

"Oh... ok," said the boy, placated. "Well, how does this 'Naming' thing work out, then?"

"That is for you and your companion to work out," replied the old wizard.

The boy turned to his new friend and asked, "Well... what're your thoughts?"

Well, everyone here calls me Peep.

"Really?! That won't do at all. I'm not calling you that. How about 'Soulrender'?"

That's a little over the top, don't you think? Besides, it's not even remotely true. I rend bodies, goblin mostly, not souls. Don't you even think about naming me anything like that either!

"Alright, fine! Here's something. This ought to work for you. 'Talon'."

Hmm... I think I can agree with that one. Talon it is!

"Well, sounds like it's decided then. What do we do now?" asked the boy as he turned back to the old wizard.

"You go and live your life," answers to old man.

The boy shifted his head back and scrunched his eyes, giving him a quizzical, confused look. "No crazy magic... flash of light... or even lightning?" he asked.

"No, it's quite an unadorned ritual," answered the wizard.

"Ok, well I better get going then," says the boy. At that he patted himself down, checking that he had everything. As he did so, the wizard walked to the barn door and opened it. As the boy stepped outside he noticed the sun's position. It was hanging right above the horizon. The boy stopped dead in his tracks as dread began to fill him. He should have been home by now.

"Is everything alright, boy?"

"I'm in for a whoopin'," he said resignedly. "I should've been home by now. My pa's harvesting some of the crops and I should've already been there, helping."

"I'm sorry to hear that."

Suddenly, the boy's face light up in excitement as he realized he might be able to get home quicker than he thought, and maybe he'd be able to make it look like he'd been there working the whole time. "Could I get Talon to fly me home?"

"You'd have to ask him. I'm just a keeper," replied the wizard.

The boy poked his head back into the barn and called, "Talon, do you wanna tak..."

I thought you'd never ask, Regenold. Also, there's no need to yell, I can hear you clearly through you thoughts.

"Oh... right. I don't know if I'll ever get used to that."

I'm sure you will. Are you ready to leave?

"I think so, but how am I supposed to ride you?"

"I believe I can help with that," said the old man. "There is a saddle, as well as, a bit and bridle hanging outside the stall there. I'll need compensation for those, but seeing as you're a young boy, you probably don't have much money on you. You may use them for now, but I ask that you either bring them, or payment, back to me soon."

"Uh..., ok," replied the boy.

"Now, let me show you how to saddle Talon," said the wizard, as he pushed the door all the way open and strode past the boy. The process wasn't really much different from preparing a horse, but it put the boy at ease to see it done by someone who knew what they were doing. The new things were two new straps that kept the saddle from sliding forwards and backwards. One extended from the harness under the wings and around the chest with a strap going up and over the back to keep it in place. The other straps went around the rump and under the tail with another set of straps going up and over the back. Nothing too difficult, plus Regenold could communicate with his to get his assistance.

Once the saddle was in place, the old man had Regenold mount up and then showed him how to strap himself in. There was a belt that extended from the back of the saddle that went around his waist and then he had to hook on two more straps from the front of the saddle onto the belt.

After the wizard was sure that everything was secure he opened the stall and then turned towards the barn doors. The wizard spread his arms high and wide and Regenold both saw and heard the large metal latches and rods shift around on the doors. As soon as the sounds stopped the large barn doors began to swing silently outward. The whole thing left Regenold a little in awe.

"I KNEW IT! I knew you were a wizard! These griffons are cool but this is just the icing on the cake! A real, live wizard! None of my friends will believe me! HA! And right here in our own city!"

"Yes, I am," said the wizard, "but I'm not exactly here in the city. That, though, is something to talk about at another time. You'd best be on your way."

I think he's correct, Regenold. We'd best be off. With that, Talon bounded through the opening, spread his wings and lifted up towards the sky as Regenold yelled out a 'Thank you' that could barely be heard.

Ha, ha! This is fantastic! I haven't been out in a little while and it always feels good to stretch the wings! I'm also glad that this saddle doesn't chafe like I thought it would.

It took the boy a minute to respond. The sudden launch and climb in altitude had left his stomach back on the ground and taken his breath away. Once he could find his breath and his stomach caught up, he said, "I wasn't expecting that at all. You've gotta warn me next time you're gonna do that!"

Yes, I noticed the affect on you, Talon responded. I will be more cautious in the future. By the way, it isn't necessary for you to speak out loud to me.

"Yeah, I guess I know that, but it's kinda weird for me. I might get used to it someday. Oh, and I'm glad to hear you're comfortable with all this equipment on. I kinda understand. Sometimes even this bag feels like too much."

The boy then took a minute to survey the landscape below. The city Brillow was already behind them, and he was seeing plenty of grasslands below him. Ahead of them he could see lots of farmland. There where clear divisions between the many fields, but which of them belonged to who was difficult to make out. Some of those fields had what could only be a farmhouse and usually a barn nearby, too.

With the setting sun to their left, the boy knew they were heading north, which was in the right direction. Not far beyond the farms the boy could see the soft rise and fall of the Burrow Hills. His father's fields were some of those that were closest to the Hills. It took him a minute to find the farmhouse, but it was fortunately not too hard to locate since it wasn't too far from the Burrow Hills' Road. He was surprised to see that Talon was making a bee-line for it already.

Regenold had to prepare himself to talk this time because he wanted to try it telepathically. How do you know where I live? he asked.

Well, Talon said, where you live is so much a part of you that I could just feel which way I should go. I think this is may be the only situation where this will be the case, though. Good job with the telepathy, by the way. You'll get the hang of it yet.

Thanks, Regenold thought appreciatively. Maybe I will.

Regenold let his thoughts wander a bit as he watched the grasslands change into farmland beneath them. It was a surreal feeling for him to see the ground -- that until now had always been right beneath his feet -- far below him. Everything almost looked like toys that he had played with just a few years ago.

Regenold suddenly noticed something off in the distance that brought him out of his reverie. In the grassland just beyond his father's fields he could see the tall grass jerking back and forth unnaturally, as if someone was running though them.

They had just passed Regenold's southern neighbor's house, when Talon said, I smell goblins nearby, Regenold. It's making me kinda hungry.

"You eat goblins?! That's disgusting!" exclaimed the boy. "I am glad you said that though. I thought I'd seen something moving about in the grasslands north of my father's fields. If it's goblins then my father might be in danger."

Well, let's go have a look then.

"Not a bad idea," replied Regenold.

They picked up speed as Talon began to beat his wings hard. Talon brought them closer to the ground, but no where near close enough for Regenold to recognize any of the faces of the people out in the fields.

As Talon began to bank towards the movement in the grass, Regenold suddenly could sharply smell goblins ahead of them. The stench made him jerk his head back in revulsion and cover his nose. He also noticed that his sight seemed to be a bit sharper than it had been a moment ago. He could see many dull, grayish-green arms flailing about amongst the grasses that were clearly goblin arms. He also noticed that his hearing had enhanced, too. He began to scowl as he heard the harsh, excited gibbering of goblins among the swishing grasses. The sudden onset of his stronger senses left him, above all, confused. Where did all that come from? he thought to himself.

If you mean our sharing our sense, then I'd have to say it was part of out bond. I was feeling your euphoria earlier and just a minute ago I could feel your nausea. Your sense of touch is quite spectacular. It's much better than mine is.

"That would explain that thrill of the hunt that I'm feeling. This is all very useful, but I wish it didn't have to happen so unexpectedly and all at once. It's pretty confusing."

As nice as that would be, we don't really have time to worry about it. We've got bigger issues at hand. It seems those goblins are heading for your father's farm and I believe that that's your father there, not to far away from the goblins.

"Oh my! You're right! Is there anything you can do?" Regenold cried out.

I'll get it under control. Just hold on tight. This will definitely be a rough and brutal ride.

With that, Talon swooped up and back while rotating so that he could begin a dive straight towards the goblins. The ground began rushing up to them, but at what seemed the last possible moment, Talon spread his wings to level out their flight and use the increased speed to plow right through the group of goblins. When Talon surfaced again above the grass, Regenold saw that Talon had a goblin in his beak, that looked rather limp, as well as, one more in each claw. Those last two had dropped there crude weapons and were trying to beat, scratch and bite their way free of Talon's fore-legs as he began to ascend again very quickly. When they were a considerable distance from the ground Talon released all three and despite their attempts to hold onto Talon's claws even the two live ones plummeted to the grass below where Regenold could hear three bone crunching thuds.

Talon dove again at the goblins by turning in the air the same way as earlier. This time the goblins were ready and the few that had spears had them pointed up at the griffon and braced against the ground. This surprised Regenold and he realized that goblins must not be as stupid as he once they were.

Fortunately, Talon was a quick thinker and before he plowed through them he changed his tactic. He spread his wings wide and brought them both to a stop in front of the group. Plug your ears! Regenold heard in his head as he saw Talon opened his beak and left out what must have been an ear piercing eagle's scream. The cry visible shook each of the goblins. Even a few of the closest ones doubled over in pain while clutching their misshapen ears.

While they were all stunned, Talon raked his claws through the front five goblins which spewed their putridly sweet smelling blood all over the place. The goblins not dead or doubled over in pain, must have noticed they were all doomed, because at that moment they all panicked and turned tail and ran away.

Talon used the confusion to his advantage. He leaned back on his haunches, spread out his wings, and beat his them furiously. The powerful winds blew most of the rest of the goblins to the ground, some of them were even sent head over heels. Talon then pounced on the group of them and slashed, raked, stomped, and bit them all until the only movement was that of Talon.

Four of the group had been quick enough to get away from the massacre and were still running for their lives. Regenold could still see them and knew that Talon could as well. The griffon leapt back into the air and began skimming across the grass in pursuit. In a matter of seconds Talon had caught the slowest one, putting his talons right through the creature's torso. In another split second there was a second one on the other claw. Ignoring the limp bodies on his claws, Talon continued after the last two.

Talon gave himself a burst of speed and then veered to the right. Regenold could seem the third one coming up fast. This time, Talon opened his beak shortly before they reached it and let lose another cry, this time not so piercing. Talon then closed his beak and sheared off the goblin's head at the same time.

To reach the last one, Talon had to swerve again, this time to the left. As they approached this one Talon slowed a little, but was still able to use the remaining speed and his weight to crush the last goblin to the ground, where he settled down on top of it. He then sat back and let lose on last cry, this time in triumph.

Now that they were out of the heat of the moment Regenold's head started to catch up with him. He started to feel sick and shaken. The smells, blood, carnage was nothing he'd ever experienced before. He never wanted to have to see any of that again.

I'm sorry for all the brutality and gore, but you were going to have to see it sooner or later, Talon said.

After Regenold emptied out his stomach of his lunch and wiped his mouth clean he replied with, "Uh... well, whatever. Just take me over to my father before I have to sick-up again."

As you wish.

With that, Talon sprung back into the air and glided back south, towards the farm. After a minute, the man-high wheat fields finally broke into cleared farmland and gave them both a clear view all the way to the farmhouse. Halfway in between them and the house there was a horse drawn wagon, half filled with wheat, that was moving quickly toward the house. The wagon had three people sitting at the front of it, one was driving the horses and the other two were looking behind them. As soon as they saw the griffon, they turned to the driver and said something. The driver pulled the horses to a stop and all three men jumped off the way and crawled underneath. Regenold chuckled a little bit as he saw them scramble under the wagon.

Talon glided up next to the wagon and landed. None of the men looked out from under the wagon so Regenold had to call out to them. "It's alright Pa! Come on out! It's safe now!"

"Boy?! Is that you?!" a deep, soothing voice called from under the wagon.

"Yeah, Pa! You're gonna love this!" Regenold began unbuckling his harness and was stepping down off the stirrup by the time his pa was done dusting off his trousers. The other two men were doing the same.

"What do you mean, son?" asked Pa. Regenold could tell by looking at his pa's face that he was confused and suspicious. He was a tall man, well, at least taller than the other men there, if not as big as they were. He was a strong man, and Regnold's uncles were stocky men who made his father look even more lean than he normally did.

Regenold wasn't surprised to see his uncles there. They normally came out from the city to help during the harvest. They were both merchants. One was a grocer and sold almost everything that came from Pa's farm while the other ran one of Brillow's most prosperous and prestigious blacksmith shops.

"I just saw you climb off that beast. Were you riding it?" Pa asked (accusingly).

"Yes," Regenold meekly respond, but then quickly added, "I can explain the whole thing!"

"Well you better! If it's safe now we can go gather the last of the crops we had to leave behind while you explain yourself."

Regenold, do you mind if I go 'clean up' after myself? Talon asked.

Regenold turned to Talon and said, "Yeah, it'd probably be better if you did that. I'll talk to you later when I'm ready. Don't go back to the barn yet, though."

Alright, Talon replied and at that he leapt back into the air and flew back towards the carnage they had just left behind.

When Regenold turned back around and looked at his pa and uncles he could tell they were a little confused. Regenold walked over to the wagon and pulled himself up into the back of it. "I was on my way back from school when this happened," he started. He told his story from the back of that wagon as they headed back out to the fields and as the sun disappeared completely behind the horizon.

This was only the beginning of the adventures of Regenold the Griffon Rider, but those are tales for another time.
© Copyright 2013 Higg (higg at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1944521-Griffon-Rider