*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1943481-Dead-Mans-God-Chapter-One-The-Sighting
by Mikell
Rated: E · Short Story · Action/Adventure · #1943481
An exiled man starts to question his sanity as he believes something is following him.
Dead Man’s God –Short By CM


On the hot desolate plains of the ruined city, I walk alone, my mouth dries as the sun is inescapable. Terrors of regret flash like lightening striking the Earth, leaving me unable to cry, my body has lost the ability. How I wish for the concrete and ravaging noises of the great city, now in memory, they seem almost majestic. Everyday people with stories laid and constructed from a foundation of lies and deceit somehow brings a smile to my face. But, it hurts. I can feel my barren and torrid skin pulling away from its state of stillness. How I long for delusive voices of a deprived civilization to keep this dead man company other than the ones of insanity, masquerading around like a circus full of demons. I guess you never existed, I suppose deep down I knew it...I lived well and did what I was told but in my greatest time of need, you abandon me. Why am I still moving? What am I walking towards? Life is full of corners better taken by the ones willing to have bloody hands.

And then I saw it for the third time since my daughter’s death, a man, no older 20. He was hovering above, not holy but gazing upon me like all the answers lie with perseverance. I must be losing it, people don't fly. I guess this was the moment when I knew I had to face what had been following me all this time, the man in the hoodie with one word on its front...Luv. It was spelled wrong, clever, it represented much more than just a simple word, and it was a twisted view of it. I can't take it anymore, the constant mocking with laughs and finger pointing. I told them this would happen but no one believed me and now, we all pay for it...death in desert of what was. I look up again, it moves, putting his hands in the white "Luv" hoodie. Why do I want to call out? Will it answer or will it just fade like the mirage it is? Screw it, who cares..."Why can't you hear me?!?" ..."Why don't you hear me?!?", I cry out. I dropped to my knees as he replied...

"I can always hear you and I always answer. So, why don't you listen?"
© Copyright 2013 Mikell (coreyv1983 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1943481-Dead-Mans-God-Chapter-One-The-Sighting