*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1937908-The-fate-of-Nate
Rated: E · Poetry · Children's · #1937908
A Children's poem about going against ones better judgement.
The Fate of Nate



Story by Brian A. Coleman









There was an Elephant named Nate who would not skate. He could not understand this fascination for winter. The bare tress the cold breeze, it was like the ice had some mysterious power to entice drawing many to a silly fate to skate. The Sun is what fun is for me, the warmth of summer and the green of the tree that is what gives me glee.

Now Clair Kidittle was a friend of Nat’s who’s insistence to go the distance on ice was something he heard from her quiet often but it had not soften Nate’s view with her he was really becoming quiet through.

Clair would say,” There is nothing like the sensation of gliding without hesitation across a wide winter wonder it is not a blunder again I say Oh the wonder the wonder!”

Nate went on to say, “I have told you once I have told you twice elephants do not mix on ice.” It s only in your head that you feel you cannot do it .Get beyond your fears and pursue it. You will find as soon as you put on those skates all worries will vacate.” Clair said.



“Oh Clair how dare you are a Polar Bear said Nate, Ice and snow is what you know my bulk will not hold on that kind of plain must I continue and continue to explain?”

Clair kept on talking despite Nate’s’ unbending bulking as she went on to say in an encouraging way.”



Coleman page 2

The Fate of Nate “Imagine if you will with the greatest of skill you gliding with grace on such a place you will feel light as a feather as you gather confidence this is not nonsense but I rest my case and go on no more I do not desire to be a big bore.”

Nate sighed and began to ponder maybe she was right he might be just a little too tight.

So he thought and he thought and finally decided to strap on some skates his own concern subsided. As he tied on his last skate with the help of his friend he toddled on down to the pond round the bend. There was no one there except him and the bear so there was plenty of room with some extra to spare.

It was a wonderful sight the sun was so bright the ice glisten and you could her some birds if you listen.



“Come on come on now is the time said Clair, I will push you gently I will push you slow go on that ice and watch yourself go!”

Nat made shaky progress towards the middle feeling some glee well at least a little. He decided to move his feet first the left ones then that the right and he thought boy this must be truly quiet a sight. He started to go this way and then that and then yelled, “Hey Clair I think I’ve got it down pat!” He truly felt pride as he continued to glide and the smile on his face was really quite wide and then it happen oh how could this happen! The ice went Creak the ice went crackle the many splits sent Nate through the icy slits.







Coleman page 3



Nate was not happy no not one little bit he was so angry he could have just spit! Nate said, “Oh Clair Oh Clair old friend of mine as you see I’m not doing so fine I did as you said I must have been out of my head and here I am now past my knees in cold, cold freeze”.

Clair had nothing to say her face in dismay her intentions were good she thought she was right but now looking back this was not all too bright.

“Nate I am sorry Nate I am sad I am really quiet sorry this all went so bad.” If it’s the last thing I do I will rescue you”

“Never mind “, said Nate you have done quiet enough” and he crunched through the ice with a grumpy big huff.



Nate came to the land Clair tried to give him a hand and with a great sneeze they got out of the breeze. Back at Clair’s’ place she gave Nate some space and avoided him looking straight in her face. With his feet in warm water and tea in his hand and a blanket wrapped around him the color of tan.

Nate said, “I am no longer angry that moment is past the short time on ice was actually a blast. But it just goes to show that when you know that you know be wise and do not let others advise.”



© Copyright 2013 Scribber (hemway777 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1937908-The-fate-of-Nate