*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1937024-Struggle
Rated: E · Short Story · Fantasy · #1937024
A final battle between a group of heroes and Demon King. Can the heroes defeat him?
Splayed on the ground, my companions were all down. Luckily, none of them have died. And yet, this situation would be one can call hopeless. Demon King still stands, not bothered at all by our attacks. It feels to me that he had just finished a nice morning warm up.

“You know, your Hero might be carrying Holy Swords Gram, but really? I even haven’t gotten any flesh wounds. But it looks like I’ll need new robes......” The way he talked, just proves that our action really doesn’t hurt him at all!

Why?! I have been training and been trained since I could remember! I’ve fought in any battles, suffering through any trials that no man should ever experience, and still I’ve fallen short!

This kind of ending shouldn’t be happening..............

“Hero and girlie, please retreat. I shall cover your retreat and hold him.”

When we have been out of it, Gerald the Veteran Warrior has covered us. He is still blue and bloody from the fight, yet standing straight with his lance in ready stance.

“Why?”

“A decent warrior will cover for their comrades to survive.  And I’m also the oldest and thus most expendable. Us old ones has to open path for the young ones after all.”

......Am I that pathetic, to let an old man to cover my back?! What kind of Hero I am!? I’m the one who supposed to protect them!
I try to stand, but every part of my body aches in pain. Not only that, but my head start feel light, probably because of the amount of blood having left my body.  It feels much better when I’m laying down there, feeling the bliss of inactivity and letting myself recover.
 
But I need to stand.

So I stand. Despite all the pain, I stand together with Gerald.

“You’re right....which is why I’m also joining this last stand. You cannot hold him that long by yourself.”

“Brave, foolish young boy, not even letting an old guy to die heroically....”
There’s no barb from his word. Only sadness and respect, mixed together.
I looked at Gerald’s face, and we smiled at each other.  No further words necessary. We’re ready.

“Sarah, Alicia, the two of you, please tell the King I cannot fulfill my promises to marry his daughters.”
I’ve at least sampled them enough, though. Only idiots rejected those fine body.

“Hero.....do you think I’ll let the two of you getting the glory of killing Demon King? Not a chance! You need a Grand Mage Firepower to do that!”
“As a Cleric of the Light Church, I cannot retreat while His people will need my help.”

Me and Gerald looked at each other, and I can see his wry smile.  I’m sure I’m having it too.

“I’ve thought only this young boy that lacked common sense, but noooo, no one here has common sense anymore.....”grumbled the old man. Yeah, I agree with you too.

Now that they have regained their zeal, they won’t accept being ordered to retreat. Such hassle.
Now we are standing together once again, just like in the beginning of battle.

That’s right, my comrades are still willing to fight! I cannot falter here for their sake!

Yet the Demon King just leaning at his big-ass blade, looking thoroughly bored for our exchange.
Great, now he is yawning.  I really want to wipe out that look from his face.

Without warning, I run and slash my sword at him with my full might.  Despite that, he destroys my swords and sweeps me away simultaneously with one lazy swing. When I was able to bring myself, I see pieces of Gram around me.

“Both of your body and swords has been destroyed, idiot. Even a slime know when they are completely out of their depth”

“It doesn’t matter. As long as I breathe, I’ll keep fighting you. If I’ve lost my sword, then I’ll use my knives. If I’ve lost my knives, I’ll use my fist. If I’ve lost my arms, then I’ll kick you. If I’ve lost my legs, I’ll crawl like a worm and bite you. Even If I lost my teeth, I’ll just bash you with my body.  Don’t underestimate the tenacity of human, you bastard!”

Instantly, pieces of Gram suddenly glowed and floating..............

........and pierced my body.

Pain.

Pain pain pain.

Painpainpainpainpainpainpainpainpainpainpainpainpainpainpainpainpainpainpainpainpainpain.

I’ve never felt pain at this level before. The entirety of my existence being stretched and pulled and taken apart and mashed together...
And suddenly, it was over.  My body was flooded by such surge of energy that I’ve never tasted before. I open my eyes and see myself being clad in a green silvery armor, with formerly destroyed Gram at my sides.  My comrades’ voices of shock and awe feel distant.

Marvelous, young Hero. I’ve witnessed your true value of humanity. I, The Great Gram, have decided to grant you full ownership of mine. Use it well
.

So Gram have decided to become truly mine and this armor is actually part of it. Huh. You learn new things every day.

Suddenly, the claps of Demon King reverberate throughout the whole hall, like he truly wants to congratulate me.  Awakens by it, we once again take formations and faced him.

“BwahahahahaHAHAHAHAHA! Interesting!! Very well then, Hero, let me see this mankind tenacity as you call it! I hope this time you can actually wound me, not just my robe.”

With a cry from our soul, we once again challenged him. I lead them, my reformed Gram being held in my hand, my heart filled with renewed hope and my body over surged with power. 

I’m not such an arrogant man, to think we cannot lose against him. He is very powerful after all.

However, even if we have to fail here, I will make sure to carve our struggle into his existence!
© Copyright 2013 Kerfirou (kerfirou at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1937024-Struggle