*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1934370-Hope
Rated: E · Short Story · Tragedy · #1934370
A struggle of a veteran mercenary and young soldier, hoping to see their loved ones again.
A lone veteran Warrior slowly walking in the forest, careful not to leave any noise. His breath ragged, hunched posture, left hand holding his bloody side, and yet his eyes still burned with life. 

I will NOT die here. I’ll live and see my Wife and Child once more.

With only image of his family in his mind, he keeps moving, away from scorched earth, to the safety of rendezvous point.

Wait for me, my family.  I’m coming home to you. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This isn’t my days.

Sulking through the forest quietly, the young Swordsman takes a sip of water from his canteen.

Being chosen on patrol when there’s a victory party? Seriously?
At least I’ll be going home to my dear soon to be wife, after this. I hope the letter will be enough to calm her down.


“Dude, seriously, why us? Is it because we’re the youngest?” Complained my partner loudly, Pike man, while he took a bite of bread.

And why he has to be so loud? Really, he should be careful.

“You know, there might be still an enemy soldier around here, so shut up will you” I said lowly and as quite as I can, straining my ears to hear any unnatural sounds. Thankfully, nothing sounds overtly suspicious. There are always strange sounds in forests after all. 

“Eeeh, they must be all  gon- hurrghh!”

Turning back and drawing my sword quickly, I saw briefly Pike man being butchered from left waist to right shoulder, before redirecting the falchion headed to my side with my shield. An unkempt middle-aged Warrior beholding it, glaring me intensely.

May Heavens accept you, Pike man, and plead for me not to join you!

We both circling each other, looking for opening. Then I’ve noticed that he seems to be straining his sides, which must be a wound. That could be my chances. I wait for it.
When he winces, I cried out while rushing him.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Looking at youthful feature that belong to both the cooling body in front of me and taut Swordsman in front of me, I felt guilty for a moment, but soon I crushed it.
These boys.............young men, had come to war. Therefore, they have to be ready for the consequences.
And now I have to bring it to him.
Suddenly, he rushed me. He doesn’t seem to know about my wounds, good.

 

I can do it!

I swing my swords at his left shoulder. He turns his body around to my left while swinging his blades to my torso.

Gotcha.

My feint works. I immediately jabbed my shield edge to his wounded sides, while jumping to sides, avoiding his swing.
And finding my throat crushed by his hand stab soon after.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Young man, you have the correct strategy. Targeting your opponent previous wound is always a viable strategy.

Disregarding the excruciating pain in my sides, I stab forward with my finger, crushing his trachea.

Too bad I’m used to pain. Goodbye.


Not letting him recovering from the blow, I immediately slashed his torso deeply.
Blood bursting freely from his chest, I watched him staggered back and fall down, carefully noting his fleeting life. 
Playing dead is uncommon but practiced act, after all.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No, I don’t want to fall here...

But my hope is rapidly disappearing. With every second, I feel my life drained away.

I don’t want to die.

The day when I first met her. The day when my heart jumps at joy at her acceptance. When I was proudly accepted as town guard. When I bravely decided to both support mother country and gather dowry. When she berate me for my foolish decision.  Her teary acceptance of my decision.  Our passionate last embrace before departure..........

All of it flashed in my minds, pulling tears from my eyes.

I’m sorry, Marina, it seems you’re right all along.......

With her name in my lips, I embrace the light.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Ma...ri......n..a.......”

Witnessing his last breath and tears, I closed his eyes and moved on.

If I don’t get away from here quickly, another patrol will find me.  It’s a miracle I’m still alive after all that.


With passing time, I’ve noticed that my worsened condition and continuous blood leaks. I’ve never got this bad before, but I toughen it up. After all, I’ve promised her-----

Without warning, I fall to the ground.

My leg fails to respond.

....No way! Move! I shouldn’t fall here!


Slowly, but surely, I moved my hands forward. Inch by inch, I’m crawling in the ground, trying to get even little closer to safety, to her.

I moved, even when my legs getting colder and numb. 
My eyes started to get blurry, yet I continued to grab the dirt in front.
My finger start getting weaker, but I keep pulling myself forward.

Joyce, I’m coming back to you!


-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Hah! Yah! Doryah!”

Looking at my child swinging his wooden sword happily, I can’t help but reminded of Gerald.
Truly, having a husband whose profession is professional mercenary gets me filled with worry each time he’s gone, especially if it’s war jobs. He always comes back though, and he did say this will be his last mercenary job.
I hope you’re safe, wherever you are. Money is aplenty here, but you’re irreplaceable.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A happy girl running through the street, full of happiness.

Today he is coming back! And we will be married soon!

Clutched in my arms is his letter from frontlines, saying that his battle is over and he will be coming home with the earliest march. It has become creased of being read over and over again.  I’ve honestly though his decision to join a battle for dowry money is rather stupid, but all I can think now that he’s alive! And coming home!

In front of me is a march of returning soldiers from battlefield. I’ve no doubt he is among them.
His letter is the proof of it.
Now all I need is to find him among the returning soldiers!
© Copyright 2013 Kerfirou (kerfirou at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1934370-Hope