*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1928352-RENEE
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Dark · #1928352
Another quickie story, about the end of a relationship
Renee lay naked and dormant in her cozy queen size bed. Her warm silk blanket barely covering the bottom half of her body. Her skin still moistened from the events of the last hour, or so. Every muscle completely relaxed, and a subtle look of joy and satisfaction resting on her face.



She’d never been happier.



Jacob sat on the edge of the bed, beside Renee, awake and uneasy. A cold sweat was drying to his back, and his hands shook and fidgeted restlessly. There was no way he was falling asleep tonight. A million thoughts were racing through his mind, and his disappointment was overflowing.



He’d never been more miserable.



“Tonight’s the night”, he thought. “It has to be tonight.”



A dim light from the bedside lamp gently shown on the right half of Jacob’s face. He turned his attention toward Renee, scowling over his right shoulder. She was shifting her position, turning her body to face his, eyes remaining shut.



Renee exhaled, and with a tired voice, asking, “Baby? Can you turn out the light, please?”



“Baby?! ..meh meh meh meh meh meh mease!?!”, he silently and sarcastically mocked. If Renee had opened her eyes, she would have caught a look of pure disgust from the face of her fiance. Jacob had become extremely cold and distant with her, ever since their engagement, yet he never showed it. He never showed it to Renee, anyway.



He shut off the light.



Jacob laid motionless, and uncovered. The glow of a nearby street lamp peeked through the slightly open window beside him.



“How will I do it?” he thought. “What is the easiest way to end this, with as little confrontation as possible?” He didn’t really want to hurt this darling woman beside him. After all, she hadn’t technically done anything to displease him.



Renee shifted her position again, wrapping her arm around Jacob. He thought to himself “Don’t fucking touch me!”, as he rolled his eyes and shook his head in anger. Why couldn’t she just lay there? Why’d she have to be in love with Him?



Several hours passed. Jacob was still awake, with exception of his left arm. Renee was still draped across him, and had diminished the blood circulation. Jacob couldn’t take it anymore, and needed to get out of bed and walk around.



When sensation returned to his arm, Jacob ventured to the kitchen for a hard drink. The only alcohol left in their one bedroom apartment was an almost empty bottle of Hennessy. This was not Jacob’s drink of choice, and there wasn’t even enough for a full glass. Jacob shrugged his shoulders and let out a sigh.



“...It’ll do”.



With a bit of ice and a splash of cola, Jacob mixed his drink and sat at the kitchen table. He nursed the beverage for a good half hour, as he contemplated his approach. And then, it finally it him. He knew exactly what he needed to do. The plan was simple and direct. His plan was Death.



Jacob grabbed two large serrated knives from the utensil rack by the refrigerator and walked calmly and quietly back to the bedroom. Renee was still sound asleep, completely unaware that Jacob was even awake, let alone walking into the room wielding two razor sharp knives.



The chilly night air was pouring through the window, and the digital alarm clock was just approaching 5:00 a.m. Jacob stood at the foot of the bed, momentarily debating how he was going to do this. Nothing inspiring entered his mind, but he knew it would come to him when he was ready.



Jacob knelt beside his spot on the bed. His head rested on his crossed arms, while he watched Renee sleep. The knives were still in his hands.



The alarm clock now read 5:47 a.m. Renee started to shift her position again, but woke herself up in the process. She looked to her right and saw Jacob watching her. He seemed calm, and she figured his insomnia was getting the best of him again.



“Hey you.” she exhaled during a stretch. “How come you’re on the floor? Come lay with me.”



“I’ve been thinking.” he replied.



Renee was intrigued, and trying to wipe the sleep from her eyes. “What have you been thinking about?”



“Us.” he answered. “I have to do something now.”



Renee was wide awake now. Jacob’s words were beginning to worry her. It sounded like he was leaving her and she had no clue what she could have done wrong. She was sitting up now, her back supported by the headboard.



“Well” she was hesitant. “What is it you have to do?”



“This” he replied.



Jacob put his fists on the bed, revealing the knives. Renee was frightened now. She began to scurry off of the other side of the bed. But as she began to make a to run to the door, Jacob rested the front of his neck on tips of each blade. He closed his eyes.



“This is all your fault.” These would be Jacob’s final words. He leaned back slightly, blades still at his throat. Then he lunged himself forward, piercing himself with both knives. Renee let out a shriek, which woke several neighbors.



She moved closer, to see if Jacob was still alive. He was not. A pool of blood covered the bed, beneath Jacob’s head. It had also begun to pour onto the floor, at his knees. The tips of each knife could be seen protruding about an inch out of the back of his neck.




END.
© Copyright 2013 Eric B. (e_busch1979 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1928352-RENEE