*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1923115-Sophie-Bard--Cold-Darkness
Rated: · Fiction · Writing · #1923115
My 2nd short story with Sophie Bard, written November/ December 2012 semi-autobiographical
Drip, drip, drip.
Today seems to just drip away,
Into clouds of rain and fog.
The chill of winter in the air,
A frigid grasp in, destroying all daylight.

Sophie adjusted her glasses, feeling a deep cold within her; despite the apparent warmth of the coffee shop. She moved her feet within her boots, hearing the leather creak. She took a sip from the coffee mug beside her hand and contemplated the day. Or possibly the last few days. Well to be honest the last few months.
Sophie had taken up several voluntary jobs- the economic situation almost demanded it, no-one wanted to employ a student, particually one interested in administration. She looked outside into the three thirty darkness- it was going to be a bad, no; it already was a bad winter.

The sound of the shop staff, washing up caused her to look up, before she returned to her drink. Despite dressing warmly against the cold and wet- she was already soaked through her jeans. Sophie glanced at her watch, unsure whether it was working properly or just stopping intermittently. Why had she gone into town again? Oh yes, the government wanted her to be in town- the department of work and pensions, preparing and threatening to take money from her- at least she worked for it.
She checked her watch again, time had hardly moved on.
"Why can I not get a paied job?" She thought to herself as everywhere darkened outside.
© Copyright 2013 SnowyCragrat (snowycragrat at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1923115-Sophie-Bard--Cold-Darkness