*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1903507-Basketball-Greatness-and-Responsibility
Rated: · Short Story · Other · #1903507
A teenager who wanted to go to the NBA realized his school academics were important.
         “Your going to beat me? Are you so serious? I’m about to blow you out on this court and make you never want to play basketball again,”  Mike said arrogantly to his opponent on the basketball court.
         Instead of talking smack, the tall skinny boy was shooting for the basketball of the first possession so the opponent and Mike could start their game of one on one basketball. The tall skinny guy missed the shot so Mike got the first possession. I’m telling you, you not ready for this its ankle breaking time. Get crossed over boy I told you, didn’t I tell you I don’t play around! Swish, see this why you don’t need to play basketball you know what just get off my court you don’t belong here.” Mike told the tall guy cockily. When the guy was walking off the court Mike yelled out,” I’m the best there is on this court nobody can stop me”.
         The next day Mike and his friend Frank were having a conversation.

Frank: Say bro did you do your homework from yesterday?
Mike: I didn’t do it and I don’t really care for school work like that.
Frank: What you mean you don’t care about it you have to get your work done.
Mike: man whatever I am one of the greatest basketball player around here and I already know I’m going to my college UT baby, all the way.
Frank: whatever man have it your way.
         During that time period there was a new dude who was quiet but loved to play basketball his name was Benjamin, when Mike first saw him he was like “ Who are you and what you doing on my court you must want to get whooped?” Mike said arrogantly and rudely to Benjamin. “My name is Benjamin, I’m just about to play some basketball but if you want to shoot around for a while then we can. Mike said “you don’t get it I’m about to make you cry and leave this school. Mike shot for first possession but he missed so Benjamin got the ball first. Swish!!! Ok you got little shot huh alright my ball checkup. Crossover, oh snap good defense kid bet I’m about to break your ankles though, steal- hold up this dude just took my  ball out of my hand. Benjamin crossed Mike over and went in for a layup, “ok is time to show you why I’m the best out here son”. Crossover, fade away game over told you I always win. Benjamin and Mike played for their schools basketball team. I already knew I would make the team I’m the best no doubt, just like my boy Lebron, Arrogantly Mike said. Thanks I’m happy that you let me play for your team hope I could be a big help, “Benjamin said happily. The first game was ok since they still won and then they learned how to play with each other. That junior year they went 15-2.
         That senior year  when everybody was scouted from basketball season, Benjamin got a scholarship to Texas University (UT) because he was good and excelled in academics. Mike also could have got a scholarship from UT but, since he didn’t take his academic classes serious the highest he could get was North Texas University (UNT).  This sucks how this guy was able to get a scholarship from UT and I didn’t whatever I’m still going to the NBA “Mike said. When everyone was off to college it was about to be basketball time so everyone knows Mike and Benjamin were making their basketball team for college. Sir you are ineligible to play for this team until you get good in your academics “said the coach of UNT basketball. You joking right? Coach I have to play for this team I’m one of the best you got here “Mike said worriedly to the coach.” It’s not my problem it’s yours look when you get better in your grades then we can talk.  Benjamin studied and kept his grades so he could still play. Benjamin also was better at basketball. It got to the point that NBA commissioner David Stern scouted him for a while. Benjamin and David Stern’s conversation:
David Stern: How are you I’m the NBA commissioner David Stern, you look really good out there on the court.
Benjamin: Thanks sir that means a lot to me
David Stern: So how would you feel playing for the NBA your junior year?
Benjamin: It would be an honor to play my lifetime goal.
         I’m so excited for the NBA, I’m going to play against some of the best can’t wait this is the life. Junior year, with the first pick in the 2013 NBA draft the Los Angeles Clippers select, Benjamin Jennings from the University of Texas.. Benjamin was so happy about getting drafted that day. That should have been me up there getting drafted first pick, dang I hate I didn’t take school serious I’m so stupid. I’m still one of the best I know it I need to take my school academics serious this last year of college but, now I realize being great takes responsibility especially school.
© Copyright 2012 Roderick Hunter (rhunterivh at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1903507-Basketball-Greatness-and-Responsibility