*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1888831-The-World-of-Demons-Designs
Rated: 18+ · Other · Fantasy · #1888831
General info about the world and characters of Demons Designs.
Welcome to the Boring stuff. Or rather, just general information about the world of Demon Designs. In order to better understand the world itself, and without adding complicated information to the story that would slow down the plot. I've decided to write out better descriptions in accordance to the characters, the school, and some general information about the world. I strongly urge folks to at least read about the school and the world at the very least.

The World: The setting of the world, which is actually named Wistfall, is a mix of modern society with medieval government. Kings, Princes, Dukes, and Lords all have places of power in the world. There are various kingdoms in Wistfall, but there is one primary Royal Family that rules over all of them. The Primary Royal family is spread out all over the kingdoms, mostly as a means to protect them from being assassinated off.

In Wistfall, the population is heavily uneven. 75% of the population is male, meaning only one out of four males will be fortunate enough to have a female for a companion. Due to this clear uneven gender ratio, it is not uncommon for there to be homosexual male relationships. While magical means are a option for commoner male couples to produce a baby, Noble families only acknowledge naturally born offspring through women as 'true' nobles. Any child born to a noble via magical means is not allowed any claim in inheritance, nor is given any title. As a result, every Ruler is placed in an arranged marriage with a female upon reaching their twelfth birthday. Again, because of the low birthrate of females, any girl from noble or common class may be selected as a marriage mate to the noble son. Common born females are not given the right to refuse if a noble who is to be the head of a ruling estate chooses them to be his wife. Even females already married and with children of their own may be 're-appropriated' to being the wife of a ruling noble if he so desires her.

Magic does exist in Wistfall obviously, however only one out of five thousand humans have magical potential. These gifted humans are called Magi. Of this small percentage, only two or three percent of these Magi are capable of truly harnessing the awesome magical potential that permeates the world untapped. Though a human may be a Magi, many of them are only capable of learning four or five spells, some even less then that. The more talented Magi have limitless potential in spell capacity, they can learn as many spells as they can memorize.

There are very small populations of non-humans in Wistfall. Elf, Dwarf, Fairy, and Naga 'villages' exist in very remote places of Wistfall. These singular villages are all under careful control of the reigning human government. Non-human species are not allowed off their allotted territories without a royal appointed Magi leader or human Master. These villages of non-humans tend to be taken advantage of by the human kingdoms that control their territory. Elves naturally possess the ability to create potions using herbs and animal components. Dwarves craft magically imbued stone and metal work beyond compare. Fairys posse the innate ability to create magical charms and hex items. The Naga can imbue scrolls with magical effects that even a non-Magi can invoke. Because of these natural skills, the human rulers overseeing the villages tend to garner a great deal of wealth by making their non-human inhabitants sell their items -only- to the castle. Which in turn sell the same items for greatly inflated prices to the rest of the kingdom.

Comity Schools: There are seven of these schools scattered through out Wistfall. All human nobility are granted immediate access to the Comity school, and is in fact required to attend from the ages of thirteen to nineteen. Nobility children are allowed to be home schooled up to the age of thirteen, then they are required to move into the Comity school for the next six years. Non-nobility children are given the option to attend the Comity school, providing the parents can afford the lofty tuition fee's. A education at a Comity school is not just about book learning. Commoner students are given the rare opportunity to meet and impress upon the children of nobility, perhaps gaining a foothold to a better life by becoming a friend or useful to these upper-class children.

Children who possess magical talent, regardless of their social ranking, are also granted access to the education of the Comity school. However, they tend to have more classes then other students, in order to help them better understand the history and magical nature they have access too. Magi children of commoner blood are not allowed to leave the Comity school before the age of twenty-two unless they have a noble advocate who is willing to 'take them under their wing' as it were. Or more commonly speaking, become their boss. Common born Magi who do not find a advocate are often assigned to random noble houses based on the needs, or wants, of the noble family. These assigned Magi continue to work for the noble house, until such a time that they are no longer desired. In which case they are re-assigned to a new place. In essence, Common Magi become the property of the kingdom, shuffled around without consideration of their own wishes, are unpaid, and given no courtesy in the case of trying to start a family of their own. Only Magi of noble blood are exempt from this life.

All Comity schools teach the equivalent of first grade all the way to twelfth grade. It is quiet feasible for a noble child to be sent to a Comity school at the age of seven, to begin their education at the first grade, and never see home until their final graduation at nineteen.

Demons: A underlying threat to the world of Wistfall comes from creatures called Demons. These beings exist between the space of reality and oblivion. In order for a demon to pull itself from this between realm they must possess a Magi. Very few demons have the strength to completely possess a Magi, regardless of how weak willed the human may be. In addition, the first lessons a Magi is taught in the Comity school is how to ward themselves from this very possession. Some Magi are taught the morally questionable art of Submission, which is a magic in which the Magi invites a Demon into their own body, then binds them to their will. The Demon effectively becomes a slave in the mind of the Magi, all the demons magic and strength becomes the tool of the Magi, while the demon itself is utterly helpless. Some Magi view this as a partnership (Granted mostly one sided). The Magi gains stronger power, and the demon is 'saved' from being pulled over the side into Oblivion and being utterly destroyed. However, a demon may choose to attack a Magi on it's own, and attempt to force possession onto the human. If the demon succeeds, the human consciousness is suppressed, and the demon takes full control of the Magi's body. The demon gains access to the humans memories, thus allowing them to nearly perfectly mimic their human host. If a demon possesses a Magi, and is undiscovered, it can over time literally devour the Magi's soul. The strength of the soul sustains the demon long enough for them to fully taint the Magi's body. If the demon succeeds in complete and utter dominance of the Magi's body, they can become a permanent part of the living realm. Destroying the host body will not send the demon back to oblivion. In fact, it merely free's the demon to begin building their own body using the abundant magical resources of Wistfall. In the past, a Demon King was raised, which led to a very black period in human history, when nearly all of Wistfall was enslaved.

It should be noted that not all demons are inherently evil creatures. Some walk a very gray line of morality, and actively seek Magi who practice the art of Submission. Some demons gain a preference for a Magi, and will often follow them through the between realm, so they may be on hand if the Magi wishes to 'switch out' one demon for another based on the types of powers they would gain. Fairy charms can even be made that offer these types of demons a temporary 'body' in which the Magi may bind the demons not being 'used'. So they are not in danger of being drawn into Oblivion. Though such charms do post a risk of trust, for if the charm is stolen or lost, the demon can spend centuries bound in the item and unable to move on to a new Magi host.

Characters of Demons Designs


Parry Saight 4ft, 3in. 15 yrs old. Short pink hair with pale lavender eyes. A very slender and non-muscular build. Parry is the youngest of five sons born to a minor noble. He was sent to the Comity school at the age of seven after his eldest brother attempted to drown him in the estate pond. He does not excel in any of his studies, and has barely passable marks in all physical studies. As the youngest son of the Saight nobles, he has no expectations from his family other then to live in case his four elder brothers somehow die off. As many of his people, Parry has a physical interest in males and females alike, but due to his shame over his small and sickly physical appearance he attempts to hide this interest in fear of ridicule.

Knock Whodroe 5ft 11in. 15 yrs old. Long red hair with sea green eyes. A wiry and slightly muscular build. Knock is the son of a perfume merchant wealthy enough to afford to send his son to the Comity school. Knock is the eldest son of the family, with a younger sister being the pride and joy of his parents eyes. Knock is gifted with a beautiful voice and the ability to play any classical instrument with perfection. Because of his delicate and nearly feminine features, Knock has gained a great deal of attention from many different nobles at school. He constantly receives gifts from  those seeking his favor, but has managed to play the field well enough so as not to have offended any noble...nor backed himself into a corner where he has no choice but to commit to any one of them.

Stryk Voight 5ft 7in. 15 yrs old. Short silver blue hair with deep midnight blue eyes. A firmly toned but not muscular body. Stryk is the Prince of a small mountain kingdom called Westhaven. Westhaven holds control of the Dwarven Village, granting Stryk a very wealthy and popular position in the Comity. He is the second son of King Voight, though only due to a very unfortunate accident in which his eldest brother was found dead at the base of a cliff. While Stryk is not a suspect in his brothers death, his father has sent both him and his younger brother to two separate Comity schools...just in case. Stryk has a very calculating mind, and has proven to have no match when it comes to his tactics and debate classes. He has mastered every subject expected of a Prince and is unmatched in marksmanship. Stryk is a Magi, though his specialty is 'undiscovered' at the moment. The reason for this being the fact Stryk is possessed. His demon has hidden Stryk's skill for Manipulation magic, as it is one of the few magical powers that marks a Magi as demon possessed.

Gash Gayner 5ft 9in. 15 yrs old. Blond hair with red eyes. Slightly muscular with a pair of scars down each of his shoulder blades. Gash is the son of a pirate. He makes no attempt to hide this fact and is extremely proud of his unaligned heritage. He attends the Comity school in order to gain as high a education as he can, but often makes jokes about how he has a secret book for future kidnapping victims after they all graduate. Because of his parentage, and his complete flouting of the school rules, Gash has nearly been expelled twice. The first time his father paid a hefty fine in order to keep his son in school. The second time Gash assaulted the principal in his own apartment. They remained locked inside for three days. When they finally left, a rather shaken principal reinstated Gash as a student and he has not yet been held accountable for any of his other infractions to date.

Slash Markin 4ft 10in. 15 yrs old. shoulder length green hair often braided down his back, clear blue eyes, golden yellow skin. A thin frame with a fragile looking structure. Slash has elfin blood in his family lineage, though only he in the last five generations of his family has really shown it. With a eternally optimistic outlook on life, Slash makes the most of his position as future Duke of Bealor. In a terribly tragic twist of events, all of Slash's family members were killed in a fire that devastated the family keep. Slash alone survived, carried out of the inferno by the reagent of the house. The reagent raised Slash until he was old enough to be sent to the Comity, where he has spent the rest of his time learning everything he can to take over upon graduation. Though Slash seems to have more interest in dancing and seeing how many of the girls from the female side of the school he can get to kiss him. His well known catch phrase seems to be 'Well I need to find a wife I'll enjoy kissing for the rest of my life now don't I?'

Rip Donnav: 5ft 10in, 15yrs old. Short black hair, dark yellow eyes, dark brown skin. Rip is the son of a Duke in the Lov Isles. With his own little island to one day rule, Rip boasts about how upon graduation, he and his twin brother, Roar, will have a fight to the death on the lip of the holy volcano, to see who will inherit their fathers domain. Rip is considered something of a brute by most of the Comity, for clinging to old values of battle for honor rather then intelligence and strategy. Rip and Gash often clash like fire and black powder, and the pair have both ended up in the healing ward with multiple stab wounds and broken bones. Yet neither boy seems to harbor hard feelings to the other. One day Rip may be cracking Gash's head against the marble floor of the library, and the next they will be trading desserts during lunch.

Rend Astrad 6ft 9in, 18yrs old. Straight long black hair pulled back into a pony tail, emerald green eyes. A very powerful and muscular frame. Rend is a major Prince. Future ruler of the Hygeyan Kingdom with a direct bloodline linking him to the Primary Royalty. He is, in the breakdown of it all, twenty-fifth in line of the True Throne as primary King. Rend has a sharp mind, in that he can easily determine who would best be suited to whatever task he personally could not take care of. By no means a dunce, Rend simply chooses to hide his true intelligence and potential by merely performing to the standard accepted levels. Rend is possessed by a demon however, and has been possessed since he was eight years old. Because of this, he has long managed to go undetected by the Comity as a Magi. he practices his magic in secret and waits to take the throne from his 'father' so he might collect other young Magi and see that they are possessed as well. Rend currently feeds off Parry, gently siphoning off his virility, so he remains weak and easy to control.

There are of course more characters that I could list here. Yet as they would not show up until much later in the story I see no point working out their details right now XD I do hope that all of this helps give any of my readers a better grasp on the world of the story.

© Copyright 2012 Lucausfox (lucausfox at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1888831-The-World-of-Demons-Designs