*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1887573-Sandra-Keating
by diadem
Rated: E · Short Story · Romance/Love · #1887573
Two little kids who fell in love, promised to marry each other when they grow up, but...


                I've only meet you once in a lifetime, but I'll be always loving you--- for eternity.





                When I was eight, my father was hospitalized due to a heart disease he have. My mom brought me every afternoon to the hospital to visit dad. My father’s doctor, Dr. Keating, coincidently happened to be his father. Fate have perfectly planned our little love story— our innocent playful love for one another— from the very day we were born, we were already destined with each other.



         I remembered that afternoon when mom and I were heading to dad’s room, clutching my mom’s hand tightly, I saw Dr. Keating talking to his son, Joshua, who was at the same age with me. He kept on telling him again and again, that he may go and watch the kids across the street, playing baseball but he can never join them. I didn’t mind what I heard and just continued walking to my dad’s quarters.

         While sitting next to mom, watching over dad sleeping, I felt tired, so I decided to get myself a cup of water. I went down the stairs and I was about to head down the hall, when suddenly, a woman shouted noisily, “For God’s sake, Johnson! You’re a doctor, do everything to save your own son!!”

         I turned around, and it was Dr. Keating with a woman I’ve never seen before.

“Don’t you think I am trying my best, Lucia? Huh?!” Dr. Keating replied. “There’s no point in telling me, I am doing my best even with or without your support. Don’t you forget that I may be his doctor, but first and foremost, I’m his father. I can’t give up on him.”

         “But in this point, if everything is not enough, he won’t even reach the age of 15—“

         “He will—he won’t die before any of us. No, I can’t let that happened. But to be frank, the only thing that we can do for him is to pray.”

         I was shocked by what I’ve heard and hurried to Joshua. I’ve never talked to him before, but I didn’t think twice and looked for him, not really knowing what to say. I ran all around the hospital, finally, I found him, sitting alone on the grass. I approached him and lied down next to him. “They—they said you’re going to die.”

         “I know. You don’t have to tell me.” He turned to me and stood up. He brushed the dirt off his shorts.

“Why will you die? You look perfectly healthy to me.”

“Dad says something with my heart is wrong.”

“It seems painful to hear.”

“ But everyone dies, right?” He looked at me and smiled.

         “I’ll die, too?” I was surprised by what he said.

         “Maybe.”

         “But I’m afraid to die.”

         “I’m not. I’ve prepared myself for that day.”

“What happens after death?”

“Just be good—so you’ll end up in heaven.” He smiled then invited me to play with him.



Every afternoon, we played together at the same place. He and I grew closer to each other. One day, while playing together, I asked him something, but deep inside I wished I never did. “I’m wondering, can I be your friend?”

He stopped and stood up, his back facing me. He started to walked away, but I grabbed his hand and said. “Wait—it’s okay if you think I’m not good enough to be your—“

“I’m sorry. You can’t be my friend and I can’t be yours. We’re just strangers playing together. “

“Strangers?”

“That’s possible, right?”

“I guess so.”

He gently brushed my hand away. “I have to go.”

“Wait,” I pulled the tip of his fingers and finally let go when he turned around. “Why—why can’t I be your friend? I’ve never had one.” I then felt hot tears rolling down on my cheeks.

“Don’t cry. It’s not your fault.” He replied as he handed me his handkerchief.

“But why?”

“Be-- because if you’ll be my friend, when I die, then you’ll have to attend my funeral and from above, I’ll see you cry because of me. But I won’t be able to go back to Earth anymore. I can’t be there by your side, and dry your tears up.”



         Years passed and dad finally, was allowed to leave the hospital, but I didn’t want to go. It was so much fun there. I looked for Joshua first, before we finally leave the hospital. Of course, he was easy to find, in the same place waiting for me to come and play with him. When he saw me, he smiled and asked for my hand. Then he slid a grass, tied at each end to form a circle, on my finger.

         “It’s a ring. A promise.”

         “What do you mean?”

         “Well, today is our wedding. The flowers and the bushes are the guests, this blooming pink flower can be your maid of honour and this little plant here can be my best man.” He laughed and I joined him in. “You see this huge tree, standing alone? It’s our priest.”

          I took out my white handkerchief from my pocket and placed it on my head. “This will be my veil, and even if I look ridiculous right now, in overalls, this is still my wedding gown. And this ring, is the sign of our marriage.”

         “The nature have just blessed us and proclaimed you, as my wife, and I, as your husband. We’re now husband and wife.” He bowed down in front of me, I bowed, too then he held my hand tight.

         I looked down and whispered to him “Actually I—“

         “We’re moving to America next week. You won’t have any playmates anymore.” He interrupted me and lied down on the grass. “I’m sorry, and sorry for the sudden marriage.”

         “I’ll be okay.” I smiled at him. “My dad’s already okay, and we were already permitted to leave the hospital. That’s why I came to tell you that were moving today.”

         “Oh, really? Well, this might be a goodbye. But maybe, we’ll see each other again.”

         “I really hope. But it’s mean for the husband to leave his wife just after the wedding.” He laughed and we kept on staring at each other, not knowing what to say. Finally I stood up and took off the ring and wrapped it in my handkerchief. “I’ll bury this ring and we’ll come back to get married here again.”

         “For real.”

         “You and I.” I smiled at him.

He smiled back and said, “Farewell, my dear bride.” He took my hand and gently let it go.



Days passed since we moved out from the hospital and I haven’t heard about him anymore. I haven’t been to the hospital ever since then. But I didn’t forget about him, except the fact that I started to think less about him.

Time travelled fast, soon enough, I was then graduating from high school. I didn’t know what to take up, but I don’t care. Our graduation day finally came when a letter arrived. It was for me. And it was from Joshua.



I’ll be waiting in the hospital. Same place. Same time.

– Joshua—



It was short, yet it got me overexcited and hurried to the hospital, and didn’t mind school, even though I was very late already. I dashed to the hospital, unendingly panting, tirelessly running. The forever wait was finally over, and we’ll meet once more. I was so surprised but pleased at the same time. Finally I’ll see his face again, I tried to stop myself from smiling, but, stupid me, I can’t. I was too excited, but nervous at the same time. What would he look like? How tall will he be? Can he still--- Questions kept on running across my mind.

When I got there, everything looked the same, the buildings, the trees and our little place. Yes, our rendezvous looked exactly the same, except that he wasn’t there. I sat on a huge rock and waited for him, waited and waited. It was already afternoon, but he never came. I decided that maybe, he forgot about it-- maybe I was wrong, maybe I was only one-sidedly loving. Maybe, he only thinks of me just like everyone else. Maybe, that wedding will never come true. Dreams, happy endings, they’re all fantasy. I stood up and when I was about to go, someone called my name. I turned around, but it was only Dr. Keating.

“Oh, it’s you. Do you remember me? I was your father’s doctor?”

“Of course, sir. He’s doing fine, it’s all thanks to you.”

“I was actually waiting for you to come, please tell your dad that I’d like to see him again and I also have news for him.”

“Is – is that all?”

“Actually, I don’t know how to start it but that was only an excuse to be able to talk to you. Joshua is not coming anymore. I was the one who sent the letter.”

“What?”

“I can’t hide everything from you anymore. It has been a whole year already. It’s time to tell you the truth—it pains me to see you but it hurts more to make you believe in something, that’s not happening anymore. “

“What do you mean?”

“He passed away at the age of 16. It was only days before his birthday.”

“You’re lying, right?” A tear dropped from my left eye.

“I know it’s hard to believe, but please accept the truth.” He looked down, trying to not meet my eyes.

“This can’t be true.” I shook him hard, but he stayed calm and patted my shoulder.

“Honey, don’t cry.”

“How can I not?! The first and last man I’d ever love—does not live in the same world anymore. I won’t see him ever again.” I knelt down and tears were rolling down.

“My dear, I—I really want to thank you. “

“He—he’s gone.” My heart ached, a pain I’ve never felt before, a pain that only I can understand. A pain, that only I—can feel.

“My son could have never reached such an age, if he didn’t have any inspiration. I give you my deepest gratitude. My son, he—he was doing his best all the time.”

“Are you saying—“

“He passed away a year ago, last April. He was actually here, the whole time. We never moved to America, but he overheard your father’s recovery and didn’t want to be a burden to you, so he made everything up. Two years after you left, he was already bedridden, but he tried to act like he was okay.” He looked at me in the eye and said. “He kept on smiling.”

“Why—why can’t he just be honest with me?” Tears were racing down on my face but they never stopped falling down. I felt my feet shook; unable to carry the pain, but I tried my best to keep on standing.

“He told me about the fake wedding—I’m sorry you had to do that with him—but he said that he only did that because he was afraid he’ll die without getting married. And that” he paused, wiped his tears, and smiled. “He didn’t want you to get married to anyone else—poor Joshua, he fell in love at a young age. He was lucky to have you beside him, thank you for being there.” He shook my hand and wiped his tears again.

“It’s okay to cry.” I faced him, eye to eye. “I’m as hurt as you are. You’re not just his doctor, he was from your own flesh and blood, he was your son. He taught me many things too, I’d like to thank him deeply, too.” I tried to talk in a calm voice, but I can’t stop myself from shaking. He looked at me and started crying hysterically, “My son! I did everything, my dear boy, Papa’s best was not enough.”

“You tried everything.” I wiped my tears and smiled at him, but my tears started rolling back again. “Joshua might—he might be bragging to those angels what a great father he have. “

“Thank you.”

“Thank you, too.”

“I’ll never forget you. I give my deepest gratitude to you.”

“Just like you—your son—he was also everything to me.”

He patted my hand and helped me stood up. “I know.” He looked at the grass behind me, smiled and said. “I’ll give you some time to yourself. I’ll leave you alone now.” He then bid goodbye.

I knelt down on the grass and let everything out. It was too sudden for my little heart to take. I looked down and noticed something white on the ground. It was the handkerchief, I pulled it out and unfolded it. More tears came, when inside that white handkerchief was a real ring, with ‘forever loving you’ written on it.



Years passed, and I became a successful doctor, thanks to the inspiration I have. I’ve been helping children with heart diseases and encouraged them of what life could have prepared for them.

         One day, while visiting a hospital, I got lost so I approached a nurse and asked for directions. “Excuse me, may I know which way is to ward 102?”

         “It’s this way, ma’am. Are you a relative of the patient or perhaps, a friend?”

         “Well, I’ve been helping patients with heart ailments.”

         “Why is that?”

         “Dreams, happy endings, they’re from fantasy. That’s what I used to believe. But one only has to understand how destiny has planned everything. One has to see the true beauty and meaning of love. These people—they can also fall in love.”

I smiled at her confused face, and continued. “Don’t you think so?” She smiled at me and replied. “Ah, of course I do. Everyone—everyone is capable of loving, right?” She smiled again, still her face showed confusion but she went on and handed me a paper and pen. “Um, ma’am, can I have your name please?”

         I smiled again at her and looked at her green eyes. This girl would never realize what pain I’ve gone through because of fate. I looked up and smiled at the clouds up in the sky. I replied:

“Mrs. Keating. Sandra Keating.”

© Copyright 2012 diadem (danadiadem at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1887573-Sandra-Keating