*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1878904-Prelude-1-of-3
by Dave
Rated: E · Other · Other · #1878904
To set the main story, of which I am currently writing. 1st choice of 3. Please see others
Prelude 1


Lightning rained down from the thick black clouds with a deafening roar and blinding light, penetrating though even the dense smoke that covered everything. The ground violently shuddered, still trembling in the aftermath of the great destruction. Fires raged, uncontrolled and devouring all in its path. The winds whipped the seas into giant, terrifying waves which broke into the land, sweeping aside all before it. The great cities that still stood were knocked down, destroyed and lost forever.

Millions of people roamed the chaotic land, driven out from their homes, as all around them the mountains fell and the very land began to slip into the oceans. Destruction ruled, nothing stood for long, and the spirits of the people had long broken. Their leaders long fled the devastation they created, by above or below, and left those they once lead to the turmoil of the failing earth. This was the time of death and endless ruin, when each day was just one more survived, and the words of safety and refuge had long lost their meanings.

But after what seemed an eternity, the thunder began to fade into the distance, the skies began to clear. The oceans calmed, and the fires died away to embers, glowing red and slowly dimming. The Earth herself settled, and the destruction creased. Those who survived saw the desolation clearly for the first time, and began to weep for what was lost forever. But before long they stood tall again, came together once more, and began to build once more. New maps were drawn, new lands discovered and claimed. New cities build on the remains of some of the old. The ancients began to fade into myth and legend, and all relics of that time was collected and hoarded from all but a few. The memory of the wreckage and ruin the land suffered remains lingering, never to be forgotten completely, but stored away as a nightmare never to be revisited.

And it must never be forgotten what the ancients ones had brought upon us. Some believe the ancients still live, watching from above, while other believe they wait below, both waiting for their time to return, and bring anarchy and ruin to the land once more. And so we wait, standing tall and ready to defend the land. We teach all of their past, so none shall forget what was done to us. And as Guardians of the Earth and Watchers of Chaos, we await the return of the ancient ones, to strike them down and protect the land, to advert the disaster that they will surely bring.



Some kind of extract
By Someone
Some Year
Blah Blah Blah

© Copyright 2012 Dave (davoa at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1878904-Prelude-1-of-3