*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/186411-Shadowlord--Prologue
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Fantasy · #186411
A personal battle is fought, and the knights hopelessly battle the demon horde.
Shadowlord


by: Night Wolf

Prologue



The three Diamonds glittered brightly in the sky like brilliant lights against a black curtain, giving light to all things under them. One was shining silver, one gleaming red, and the other a flawless, radiant green. The shadows retreated to their Master for help as the colored light engulfed them, but they were merely shoved aside as their Master's eyes turned bloodshot. The redness then dissolved, leaving them white as a rolling summer cloud. The shadows withered up and, with long painful howls, died. The dark hooded figure outstretched his arm and waved his finger in numerous patterns. His finger was glowing and yellow sparks were shooting from it in every direction. Sweat was pouring down his face and soaking into his black cloak. He was exhausted; to tired to even think, only knowing that his life depended on the spell he was conjuring. He knew he couldn't last much longer; the stones' magic was too powerful. He would never beat it, and he couldn't shield himself for very long. He had to concentrate...concentrate...how could it have come down to this...what went wrong...?

The ground was shaking and a sizeable crater was forming in a circle around the earthshaking battle. Lightning was frequently striking just a few feet from the struggle. It was the middle of the day, yet the dark clouds made it look as if it was the middle of the night; the only thing that occasionally brightened the sky were the diamonds and flashes of lightning. The thunder that crackled could have shattered just about anything, but the man still stood; his solid determination the only thing keeping him on his feet.

The diamonds floated down from above the cloaked figure and formed a triangle around the man. They started swirling around him in circles, forming breathtaking streaks of color. He was lifted from the ground and the diamonds swirled even faster. Soon the man was no longer visible, as the diamonds had started swirling so fast it looked as if there was a multi-colored sphere suspended in the air.

Suddenly, without warning the sphere rapidly got larger. The wind picked up and grew more violent as the sphere expanded; then it came to an abrupt stop. It was a large three-colored sphere that could fit even the largest of taverns within its boarder. Lightning was striking it a few times a second now and the ball continued to grow.

There was another man at the battlefield, just outside the ever-growing crater, slowly retreating as the crater advanced. One of his arms was straightened in front of him, aiming at the spectacle in front of him, the other bent shielding his face from windburn and flying debris, his white hair waving violently back as the wind threatened to blow him away.

The man quickly recalled his outstretched arm and grabbed an object out of a pouch tied to his belt. He took this item and heaved it toward the sphere. There was a loud sound, like gusting winds, which rose over all of the other noises on the battlefield.
All was quiet.

A long silence followed, which was abruptly ended by the sound of a ring clattering to the ground.





The human warriors stared nervously at the tens-of-thousands of hideously shaped monsters unmoving upon the vast plain ahead of them. The creatures snarled and hissed, their fangs dripping with saliva as they eagerly awaited motion from the meager army opposing them. Their minds were not capable of thinking rationally. The only thoughts on their minds were of tearing the pitiful men standing before them to pieces, the orders of their few commanders that could rationalize (though not specializing at tactics and engagement), and to kill. They had ordered their demon armies to attack the humans only once an approach was made toward them.
There were approximately two thousand foot soldiers and two hundred and fifty knights. In a full battle, they would have no chance of surviving an encounter with these repulsive, terrifying demons. But they only had to hold out for a few minutes for victory.

Behind the warriors stood a row of fifteen white robe magi. In the center of this line stood Kaalik, the possessor of the second ring. He gave Tahgan, commander of the southern armies, the okay to charge. Tahgan nodded and the horns sounded. Thousands of troops rushed towards each other, shouting their respective battle cry. The demons ran with amazing speed and agility, the four-legged beasts emerging in the front line as they passed their muscular two legged kindred.

Kaalik gave commands to the magi, who stayed behind as their human brothers rushed into battle. "Lock your minds and powers as one, and let them follow the commands given."

All the magi closed their eyes and concentrated on the crystal ring. Their power was quickly drained as Kaalik spoke the ancient words. Kaalik telepathically linked his mind to his followers and gave them his orders.
As the magi activated and readied the crystal ring, a battle raged upon the plain. The fighting was most fierce directly in the middle of the front, as the more skilled human soldiers hacked and slashed at the hulking beasts, being careful not to get gashed by the demons' poisonous fangs and claws. The four-legged demons were fighting on the sides, and the front didn't bend for a while. Then the knights began to prevail and force back the center of the demonic army. Ferociously fighting to gain every inch, losing men every step they took forward, they began to bend the front, step by agonizing step. All the warriors' full plate mail armor was smeared with blood, of their own red and of the black of their enemies'. As the front bent more and more, the knights gained ground faster.

Tahgan saw this happen too late. In vain, he turned his horse around and signaled the retreat. Confused, the knights slowly began to give land. But they could have easily drove into the middle of the army, split it, and attempt to rout it.

No you fools! You must make a hasty retreat! Don't you see what's happening?!? Tahgan thought. He looked back at Kaalik, but all the mages seemed not to have moved. Hurry up Kaalik!

The demon army's commanders, seeing the retreat, ordered the flank. The demon army had allowed the knights to force them back far enough, and he gave the command.
Tahgan starred in horror as the demon army's flank closed around the knights, surrounding him and his troops. The noble knights had been tricked by the dimwitted demon commanders.
Kaalik said the final word, and the crystal ring began to glow. He stared out at the battle for a few seconds, and then collapsed.

The knights saw the demons close around them and saw how foolish they had been to try to rout an enemy so much larger than their own. They were too numerous, and now all of the warriors would have to suffer a horrible death; mutilated at the hands of the most atrocious beasts ever created. Exhausted, they raised their swords for their last stand.

The demons charged, the smell of blood and victory dimming their senses, bestowing them with great strength and speed. The rush of the kill was more than they could bear. Each of them had to be the first to reach the hopeless knights...

...and the demons vanished just as they reached the first of the mens' blades, their essence carried away with the easy wind upon Prytris, rustling the grass of a blood stained plain as an everlasting fog settled upon it.

__________________________________________________

Be sure to read the next chapter, "Shadowlord (Chapter I)!


*Cool*Night*Cool*
© Copyright 2001 Shoeter (nightwolf_41 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/186411-Shadowlord--Prologue