*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1862901-Behind-the-Shadows
by Sport
Rated: E · Poetry · Emotional · #1862901
What is it to be different?
Behind the Shadows



What is it to be different?

How hard do we try to be the same?

What is it like to just be me all of the time?

At home in my room I am an individual I am different,

But when people are near, when I'm in the halls at school, and in the classrooms I am no longer me, I am no longer different.

People look at me and see right through me, they do not notice the trail of a tear on my cheek, or the loneliness surrounding me, or the talent that I possess.

I disappear in the crowd with my normal looking clothes and no sign of a smile.

In school I am expected to only laugh when I am supposed to, talk when I am supposed to talk, and not to be noticed too much.

That is what other people think normal is and should always be.

I have to make myself seem normal so that they do not see me as different, so that they will accept me.

I am terrified of people's judgment even though I pretend that I'm not and that I do not care what other people think of me.

I am different when I am alone I am me, I look different when nobody is around to watch me with disapproving eyes, and I do what I love to do when there is nobody there trying to change me and criticize me.

I know who I am but I am not brave enough or ready to let everyone else know who I am because the judgment and punishment is just too much.







© Copyright 2012 Sport (writer1622 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1862901-Behind-the-Shadows