*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1839156-The-Pack-Chapter-1
by Fell
Rated: 13+ · Chapter · Animal · #1839156
A story I am recently working on. It is fiction and about wolves and other animals.
Almost invisible to the world, the pack was traveling in a single file. At the head of the group was the dragga and drappa, leaders of the pack, following behind were the silvers, second in command, and last was the sikla, the weakest in the group. Husk was the dragga male in the group. He had eyes that looked pure gold, his muzzle was white to faded black and his fur was black with a silver bright streak from his head down to the tip of his tail. He stood tall and proud with his tail lifted into the air as he was searching…searching for something that he was afraid of, not just for him, but for his pack. He could sense it, drawing ever so closer…man. As he saw man traveling with his pack, he noticed that one was on a proud looking steed, with his hand on a long metal object at the side of his waist. Following him was what looked like to be about one-hundred men traveling side by side. Husk had longed feared this race since he was a mere cub.
Husk let out a howl ever so proudly. As he stood waiting, he heard the sounds of tree branches being pushed aside and the sound of twigs snapping, but he did not fret. For this proud wolf knew that it was only his mate Leanne, a proud she-wolf whose fur was as white as snow, with a tail that had a black tip. Her eyes were as green as emeralds, and shined brighter than any star at night. Following her were Kris and Sonya. Kris was a plain gray wolf with a muzzle that faded from white to gray, and his eyes were a sharp silver color. He was less big than Husk or Leanne, but was big enough to stand his ground. Sonya was almost the same size as Kris. Her fur was gray on her back that faded to white on her stomach. Her eyes were a violet purple that turned to a bright purple at night. Following behind them both was Husk’s brother Farris, the sikla. He was a pure black wolf whose eyes were as blue as the sky. His tail was always between his legs to represent that he means no threat to any other member of the pack.
As they all gathered together, they noticed that man was doing something that was unusual to them, they were fighting each other. Husk and his pack were as confounded as to why they were fighting each other. They stood below a snow covered pine tree watching man swing his metal object at each other and see a bright red liquid cover the white snow. The screams of death and pain were filling their heads and decided to move away from the massacre so as to not get involved in it. “How long till we reach the valley?” growled Farris as he was treading behind the rest of the pack. Husk replied with an unsure tone in his voice, “We should probably be there in about eight suns.” The winter was bitter cold and they traveled in a single-file line, and as they were traveling, the group began to grow hungry and tired. “We need to find food, Husk, if we are to travel any further” growled Kris with a loud roar in his stomach. Husk calmly searched around his packs area and came across a den. “Here,” said Husk with a satisfaction of relief, “We’ll stay here for the night. Kris, Farris, and I will go out and see if we can find anything to eat, mean while you and Sonya stay here and warm up.” “Be careful, all of you” said Leanne with a sound of worry in her voice. “Please come back in one piece Kris,” said Sonya as she rubbed her muzzle against his. “I will. You needn’t worry so much Sonya,” said Kris to reassure his mate, even though he knows that he is unsure of how their search will turn out. As the three males headed out, Leanne and Sonya watched as they disappeared into the harsh winter blizzard.
“Mark the territory as we go along, we don’t want any un-welcomed guest,” said Husk as he was sniffing the air as though there was a disturbing scent from another pack. They searched for what seemed to be days, and could not find anything. With disappointment in their eyes, the three wolves started heading back to the den. But as they were heading back, they came across the field of where they saw man fighting one another.
“This might be our only option left,” said Husk as all three of them were looking across the carcasses of men and scavengers picking their eyes out and tearing at their flesh. “But the stories say once you’ve tasted the blood of man, you would hunt nothing else but man,” said Farris with shock. “What other choice do we have Farris? This could be our last chance of survival, and you want to ignore it because of a story?” growled Kris at Farris. “That’s enough from the both of you!” said Husk. “Now Farris, if you do not want to eat, that’s your decision, but I’m not going to let the rest of us starve because of a story we were told.” said Husk as he was glaring at his brother with no intention of listening to reason.
Nightfall was coming, and the trees were covered in shadows of darkness. As Leanne and Sonya waited at the den for the male wolves to return, Leanne started speaking of a secret she knew she could no longer hide. “Sonya,” said Leanne with a stern look in her eyes. “Husk doesn’t know it yet, but…I’m going to be having cubs soon,” said Leanne as she was expecting to see Sonya excited and surprised. “What’s wrong Sonya?” ask Leanne looking at her confoundedly. “Huh? Oh nothing. I’m excited, I really am. But I’m just worried for them. What if they get lost in the blizzard? It’s really dark and this snow isn’t helping one bit,” said Sonya with a look of great worry in not just her eyes, but in her body movement as well. “Don’t worry, they’ll come back in one piece, I just know it,” said Leanne reassuringly.
As the night passed and the terrible blizzard had stopped, the ice began to thaw and spots of green where beginning to reveal the precious green that has been hidden for so long. Leanne and Sonya awoke, only to realize that none of the males have returned. Then, in a distance, they heard a long howl through the trees of the forest. It was Husk and the rest of the pack. They were each carrying a piece of elk meat back to the den. The kill was fresh, the blood was brighter than that of ruby, and the food was plentiful. “Where in Tor’s name did you get this?” asked Leanne with shock and surprise. Tor is the ecosystem that all the she-wolves pray to, the same as Fenris for the he-wolves. “We were heading back to the den because we couldn’t find any food, but while we were heading back, we spotted an injured elk trying to limp back to its herd,” growled Husk as he continued with his story. “At first we had made the suggestion of…” Husk paused for a moment. “Of what?” asked Leanne and Sonya with great curiosity. “Of bringing the carcass of man to eat,” whispered Husk with regret. “What?!” said Leanne with great shock, “Have you not heard what happens to a wolf when one taste’s the blood of man? They will never hunt any other prey again and they will start to act like man!” growled Leanne furiously. Farris looked at her with a questioning look on his face, for he had not heard of a wolf acting like man would after he tasted the blood of man before. “The point is we have food now, so we don’t have to worry about eating man at all,” replied Husk with a stern tone in his voice.
Midnight was here, and the snow had melted away from all but the trees. Husk was outside staring at the full moon, thinking of how they were going to get to the valley before spring. As Husk sat in front of the moon, Leanne had sneaked up behind him. Husk growled and turned around quickly, but realized it was only Leanne at his side. “What are you doing?” whimpered Leanne. “I was just thinking if we would reach the valley before spring,” replied Husk. “There’s something I have to tell you Husk,” growled Leanne, “I think its best if we stay at the den for awhile.” “What? We can’t, we need to reach the valley before spring is to come, otherwise-” but Husk was interrupted by Leanne. “I’m pregnant…” growled Leanne, sadden by the fact of not knowing how Husk will react to this. “You’re…you’re pregnant?” whimpered Husk with great amount of shock. “I have been for almost two months now, but they could arrive any sun,” whimpered Leanne, “That’s why I think its best if we stay at the den.” Husk could not believe what he had heard. He was overcome with joy, but also had a deep thought in his mind, how would they ever reach the valley before spring? The answer was clear, they wouldn’t.
Husk sleep was most irregular, for he had seen signs in his dream, signs of the future. He had been standing on a cliff looking down at the valley. There he saw Leanne and the rest of the pack with wolves he had never seen before. A black cloud was above their heads, but as he looked closer he noticed that this was not a black cloud, but crows. They were in mass numbers, and almost seem like they were waiting for something or someone. Then, a figure started appearing. Its eyes were blood red, its fur was blacker than the darkest night, it was covered in claw and bite marks and was as twice as big as Husk. As the dark figure drew ever so closely at his pack, it lifted its paw, and sliced the throats of everyone in his pack. In that moment, Husk awoke, wondering what this nightmare meant…and if it will ever go away.
As morning came, it was unusually quiet. Birds were not singing, the wind was not blowing, and the leaves were still. Husk was the first one to awaken and could feel something in his sense that he had not felt before. “Husk,” said Leanne from the den, “Its time.” Husk’s instincts were kicking in quickly as the wolf went searching for food and scent marking the area. As Husk returned with a few hare’s, everyone was waiting outside the den. He wonder why, and then tried to enter, but as he grew closer, he could hear Leanne snarl. “She needs to do it alone, Husk.” whimpered Sonya. Husk trotted back and forth and as each minute passed, it felt like a sun to him.
As nightfall was filling the sky, Husk heard whines from inside the den. As he crept closer and closer to the den, he could see with his own eyes. Four little bodies, covered in fur against Leanne. “Their beautiful,” said Husk feeling more proud than he had ever felt before. “Husk,” said Leanne weakly, “giving birth to our cubs has used up most of my strength.” With a thought of shock in his mind, Husk quickly gathered all but Farris and took off looking for food. As Farris was left to guard the den, he heard something in the trees. Twigs were snapping, and an unfamiliar scent filled the air.
As the scent was drawing closer, Farris heard Leanne gasp. He quickly turned and went into the den to see what was wrong. “What is it, what’s wrong?” whimpered Farris. “He’s here,” growled Leanne softly, “I can’t believe he’s here...” Farris looked at her with great curiosity and confusion. But as each minute passed, he was drawing closer.
© Copyright 2012 Fell (huttser23 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1839156-The-Pack-Chapter-1