*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1822808-Someones-Watching-Over-You
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Other · #1822808
Shayla's life was perfect.Until her boyfriend used drugs,began drinking, and abusing her.
You know how everyone goes through that one point in their life where everything goes wrong and they think “Why me?” or “I don’t deserve this.” Well that’s me. I never thought that my perfect life would soon turn to a living nightmare.
My boyfriend, Jonathan O’Grady and I were the definition of perfect. He was the captain of the football team and I was the captain of the volleyball team. We were both juniors in high school and we had everything going for us. He and I have been dating since the ninth grade. I guess you could say we were high school sweethearts. Or so I thought we were. I always thought that he was an amazing guy who could never hurt a fly. He was 6’3” and muscular. He had dark brown hair with the most beautiful baby blue eyes I have ever seen. His skin was tinted tan. He was my knight in shining armor.
It was a normal chilly mid November morning. I was on my normal schedule. Get up at 5:30 and brush the knots out of my auburn hair. Jump in the shower and get ready for school. As I was finding something to wear, my phone went off. I looked at it and thought “Who would be up this early?” I looked at it and saw his name come up on my phone. My eyes lit up and a huge smile escaped my light pink lips. I read the text to myself in a soft whisper, “Good morning beautiful! I hope you had a wonderful sleep. I can’t wait to see you this morning!! See you soon!!” I shut my phone and sat on my bed. I knew there was something going on because he’s not a morning person and it’s Wednesday, Football practice all day. “He’s never happy about that.” I thought. I shrugged it off and finished getting ready for school. At 7:30 there was a knock at the front door. I grabbed my stuff and ran to open the door.
When I opened the door I was embraced with a hug and a huge kiss. After we greeted each other, Jonathan turned me around and put something over my neck. When he was done I looked down at the piece of jewelry hanging on my neck. It was a silver locket in the shape of a heart. A small diamond was in the center of the locket also shaped like a heart. When I saw it tears welled in my green eyes and I turned to face him. “Open it,” he said. When I opened it, a small note was in it. I tried reading it, but I couldn’t see what it said. It was then when he said “I love you.” My heart swelled and I wrapped my arms around his neck and said “Oh Jonathan, I’ve been waiting for you to say that to me! I love you too.” Then he grabbed my hand and we were off to school.
Now I know what you thinking, “This girl’s life is perfect! Why is she complaining? Is she that ungrateful?” But that day was the last day I had ever felt safe with him.
Later that night, I was sitting in my room doing my homework. My phone went off and it was Jonathan. I thought he was telling me goodnight like he usually does but I was wrong. When I answered it I heard a girl talking in the background. I thought it was one of the guys just acting like a girl like they usually do. But that was too good of an impression. I asked him who he was with and he reassured me that he was with the guys and they were hitting on a girl. But I knew better, the voice was too clear to be far away from him. I knew that she was close to him. My vision started to get blurry and I could feel tears coming on. I couldn’t help myself so I snapped.
“Why are you with another girl? Am I not good enough for you?” I snapped into the phone.
“You know what; I’m not going to fight with you. I’m having a good time with someone other than you! Get over it!” He screamed at me.
I heard enough. I slammed my phone shut and threw it on my bed. Tears streaked my rosy cheeks. My mom came into my room; she had heard the whole phone call. I ran into her out stretched arms and cried. After she left my room I was still shaky. My whole body was trembling with the thought of him with another girl. I knew that we would never be the same because I know that a lot of girls are jealous and want to be with him. So it wouldn’t cross my mind if they had done something. That night I cried myself to sleep.
When I woke up the next morning and looked in the mirror I was horrified. My eyes were puffy and red like I had a severe case of pink eye. My skin was pale like I had just seen a ghost and my hair looked like I had been electrocuted. Both my mom and dad walked in my room. When they seen the condition I was in they both agreed to let me stay home and rest. I was too weak to protest so I ignored what they said and went to bed. Before I knew it, I was awoken by a huge pounding on my front door. I jumped out of bed and realized it was 12: 30 in the afternoon. I threw my hair up and went running down the stairs. When I opened the door my stomach dropped and I felt sick.
There standing outside my house was Jonathan. His fists clenched like he was about to snap. His teeth tightly shut inside his mouth. Small holes on his arms like his skin had been punctured multiple times with a small tool. Eyes red like he had been rubbing them all day. He scared me now. Before a word escaped my mouth he had his fingers dug into the side of my arms and he slammed me against the wall. I could smell the alcohol on his breath and a white film on his nose. My heart stopped. I knew what was going on. But I didn’t want to believe it. My perfect boyfriend and our perfect relationship were turning into a total nightmare.
When he slammed me against the wall, the pictures above me shook rapidly. I could feel him grip tighter around my arms. I choked out “Why are you doing this?” between each sob. I almost didn’t recognize my voice.
“You make my life a living hell!” he screamed into my face.
I did the unthinkable. I felt my pale skin get hot with anger. My small fists clenched so hard my knuckles turned white. Before I could stop myself I swung. He caught my wrist the moment I swung and twisted it. I felt a pop and a scream escaped my pale white lips. I felt like my wrist was crushed by a car. The pain was excruciating. I fell to my knees and cried and screamed as loud as I could. My wrist throbbing in pain soon swelled up. I thought the pain was over. I thought wrong. Jonathan picked me up by, my throat and slammed me against the wall once more. His hands began to squeeze the air out of me like a balloon. My vision went blurry and I blacked out.
The next thing I remember was waking up in the hospital with my best friend since first grade, Logan Phillips beside me. He was slumped in a green chair next to the hospital bed. I could tell exhaustion had taken its toll on him His shaggy blond hair reached just above his eyebrows was a mess. Those baby blue eyes looked swollen. I could tell he had been crying for hours. That perfect smile was now hidden by a frown. I followed his body with my eyes. When I got to his hands I saw my hand in his. I always knew he had a crush on me. But I couldn’t get over the fact that he was my best friend. I broke my train of thought when I saw an IV in my hand. I looked around me and saw that I was encased in machines and tubes. I didn’t understand what had happened or why I was here. I needed answers.
When he realized I was awake, his eyes brightened and a smile formed on his lips. He softly kissed my forehead.
“How are you feeling?” he asked.
“My body feels like I was hit with a Mac truck.” I mumbled groggily.
I heard him chuckle. Then he looked at me with that look in his eye like he was full of questions and concern. He looked at my arms and softly traced his finger over the purple and blue blotches on my pale skin. I winced and a tear escaped my eye. When he realized this he pulled away. But I could see that his focus was on my neck. His eyes soon filled with tears again when he asked me what happened. I sat there in silence because I don’t have anything to tell him. The beeping of machines filled the awkward silence. He opened his mouth to say something but it soon shut when the door opened and a familiar face walked in the door. A chill ran up my spine when I saw him. I knew he had something to do with my pain. But I just sat there in silence not even looking at him.
When he walked in the room his stride was filled with confidence but we both knew he was hiding something. He looked right at Logan and scowled. Logan sighed and knew that was his cue to leave. Logan brushed passed him and Jonathan slammed his shoulder against him. Logan looked at me with pleading eyes but he bit his tongue and walked out of the room. Jonathan and I were the only two left in the room. My breathing got silent and I had nothing to say to him. I could hear our heartbeats beating as the pitter patter of the rain crashed against my window filled the silence. He was the first to speak and break the silence. “I’m sorry.” He muttered.
“Why would you put me in here? You could have killed me Jonathan! I thought you loved me like you said.” I choked out.
I have never seen him cry this hard before. He told me he loved me and he never meant to hurt me. He said it was a onetime thing and he promised me he would never hurt me ever again. I accepted his apology. But I knew this wouldn’t be the last time.
By the time I got out of the hospital it was Thanksgiving break. I was spending my Saturday lying in bed. At around 7:00 in the evening my phone went off. It was Logan. He asked me if I wanted to go out tonight just me and him. I gladly accepted and rushed to get ready. At 7:30 there was a knock at the door. I ran downstairs and opened the door. He greeted me with a big hug and at that moment I felt safe again. When I pulled away I told him that I wasn’t ready yet and he smiled and told me to take my time. We went upstairs in my room. He sat on his usual spot on my bed and snooped through my drawers. This was his usual routine so it didn’t bother me much. While I was at my dresser doing my hair he looked at me and in the mirror and smiled. “What are you looking at?” I said with a smile as my cheeks turned a bright pink and butterflies filled my stomach. I knew that having this feeling wasn’t normal.
He stood up and came behind me and stood me up. I looked like an ant compared to him. He grabbed my chin and gently lifted it, “Why do you let him do this to you Shayla?” he softly whispered. I could tell he was pleading for an answer through his eyes.
“I just don’t know, Logan.” I softly spoke.
He hugged me and said “I can treat you so much better.”
I looked up at him and said “I know you can.”
Then he hugged me tighter “Get out while you can. I just want you safe Shayla and you know that.”
I shrugged and said “Can we leave now?”
He grabbed my hand and we left. I had no clue where we were going. All I knew was it was quite a drive away. We talked about pointless things like the weather and school. When the car stopped we were some place dark. Logan got out of the car and walked over to my side of the door and opened it for me. When I got out he wrapped his hands around my eyes and led me to the place. I had no clue how long we walked for but it didn’t bother me. I liked being alone with him. He made me feel safe and comfortable. Something I haven’t felt in a very long time. When he removed his hands my jaw dropped and my heart swelled in happiness.
When I was younger mine and Logan’s parents would take us to the beach every Saturday. We had stopped going because there were shark attacks. That was the first time I had been there in twelve years. My heart filled with joy and I hugged him tightly and said “This brings back so many memories.” He laughed and smiled that perfect smile I had missed. I took off my shoes and dug my toes in the sand. I felt like a little girl on Christmas morning. Logan interrupted my train of thought when he grabbed my hand. We walked along the beach. The moon was above us shining bright. The sound of the waves crashing along shore made me smile. The smell of the salt water burned my nose. It all brought back my childhood. We stopped and sat on a rock and sat in the silence. Logan turned to me and caressed my face in his hands.
“I love you, Shayla. I would never hurt you like he does and you know that.” he whispered.
I rested my hand on his wrist and whispered “I love you too Logan.”
He brushed my hair behind my ear and softly kissed me. I wasn’t sure what to do. But I really didn’t want it to stop so I kissed him back. After he kissed me, he rested his forehead on mine and smiled. I blushed and smiled back.
Then he stood up and grabbed my hand. “I should be getting you back home.” he smiled. When we got in the car he looked at me and smiled before he drove off. When we got back to my house and walked me to my front door, hugged me then said “I’ll see you tomorrow?”
“Of course!” I exclaimed. After we said our goodbyes I walked into my house.
When I got in the house was dead silent and all the lights were off. I went into the kitchen to find something to eat. I came upon a note on the refrigerator that said “Went to visit grandma for the weekend. I’ll be back Monday. Love, Mom” I sighed and grabbed food and went up to my room. When I opened my door and turned on my light, Jonathan was sitting on my bed looking at me. I could tell he was furious.
“Where were you?” he asked.
“I was with Logan. Why?” I said confused.
“You dirty tramp!” He screamed
I didn’t understand what I did wrong so I just shrugged and started to walk to the bathroom.
“Where do you think you’re going?” he said while he was walking toward me.
“I’m going to wash my face?” I mumbled.
He grabbed my hair and started to pull me backwards and threw me on my bed. He climbed on top of me and started to hit me. I thrashed underneath him. Kicking, hitting, and screaming as loud and hard as I can. He put his hand over my mouth and started to hit me harder. Every blow to my face killed my heart. He punched me in the ribs and I felt a crack. I let out a gut wrenching scream. But he didn’t care. All he cared about was supporting his addiction. Then my front door slammed open and someone was running up the stairs. I was screaming for help. In an instant, Logan came busting in my bedroom door and seen what Jonathan was doing. He grabbed him by his shirt and yanked him off of my body. My eyes were to swollen to see what was going on. All I could hear was yelling coming from Logan’s mouth. The sounds of bones breaking made my stomach sick. I had no clue how long the fight lasted. All I know is that there was only one left. When I felt someone grab my hands I winced in fear. Then a soothing voice reassured me. It was Logan. The swollenness of my eyes went down a little bit. I could tell that he was bruised bad and had put up a fight.
“Where is he?” I asked.
He looked away and said “He’ll be out for a little while. But I’m calling the police Shayla”
“I shook my head and said thank you so much.” He hugged me and kissed the top of my head. I knew at that moment that I will be ok.
When the police came to my house, Logan was already taking care of my wounds. But I still begged to go to the hospital to get an x-ray of my ribs. Logan had called my parents and they had rushed home to see what happened. I was too shaken up to tell them what happened, so Logan did. After he told them what Jonathan had done to me for the past few weeks, they were upset that anyone would harm their little girl. But what they didn’t understand is that I was scared for my life. No one knew what he was capable of. And with alcohol and drugs involved it just made him more dangerous. I never thought that someone I loved so much could cause me so much physical and mental pain. We ended up pressing charges against Jonathan that same day. He was taken away in a police car with tears streaking down his face telling me how sorry he was and that he never meant to do what he did. Deep down I wanted to believe him, but I knew I couldn’t. After all this I don’t think I ever wanted to speak to him ever again. He could have killed me. I was done.
Three months later I had that same sick feeling in my stomach. Today was the trial. I haven’t seen or heard from Jonathan in that time but I knew he wasn’t doing well. I asked Logan to come and support me. Of course he accepted. When Logan and I pushed open the court doors hand in hand, I could feel every eye fall on us, even Jonathans. One glance at him and he was a new person. His old black shaggy hair was now cut short. He had sores all over his body from the massive drugs he was secretly doing in jail. He was missing a few teeth. I don’t even remember what the old Jonathan looked like. All I know is that I didn’t want to see what the new one was capable of doing. When Logan and I walked past him he tensed up and mumbled something under his breath. I tried to ignore it but part of me just wanted to jump at him and hit him. When we got to our stand I felt light headed. I knew I had to be strong, but it was all coming back to me and I didn’t want to remember. When I was called up to the stand I had told them everything from the start to finish. The good and the bad, I didn’t leave out one detail. After I left the stand, the jury was in tears. Even a couple sniffles came from the judge herself. I couldn’t look at anyone yet so I quietly took my place behind the brown ivory stand in front of me. Jonathan got called to the stand next. He lied about everything and everyone knew it. After he sat down it was time for the verdict. The jury found him guilty and since he was 18 he was charged as an adult. He had a twenty-five year life sentence. I felt like a weight had lifted off my shoulders and heart. I couldn’t look at Jonathan when we left. He was dead to me and nothing would ever change that.
After we left the court, Logan decided to take me to lunch to get my mind off things. He surprised me when we arrived at the Olive Garden. When we were seated it just so happened that we got the table that was farthest from everyone. “This is a nice place to talk and ask questions.” I thought. When we sat down there was one question that I never got answered. Logan seen the questioned look on my face and asked.
“Watcha thinking about babe?” he said confused.
“How did you know what Jonathan was doing when you came busting into my room?” I mumbled.
He smirked and said “You butt dialed me”
I smiled “My butt saved my life.” I said with a small giggle.
Some girls and women are scared to admit that they are in an abusive relationship. But sometimes it takes a friend to speak up for them. When drugs and alcohol are involved the situation gets worse. Never let abuse be unheard. Speak up for yourself or someone you know. You never know, you might be saving a life.
© Copyright 2011 Marissa Decanio (marissajane123 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1822808-Someones-Watching-Over-You