*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1821796-Chemical-Reaction
by megg
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Romance/Love · #1821796
This story is about how sometimes when you're in love you'll do anything for that person.
“Chemical Reaction”









Five years ago, to this day, was the day that changed my life. My father got shot right in front of me and I had to become the man of the house. I can remember the day perfectly, which sometimes I think it is a bad thing, but others I think that it was better that I saw rather than it being Francisco, Javier, Carmela, or Mama. The day it happened, I was twelve, Dad and I went out for ice-cream and we were having a guy’s day, minus Francisco and Javier. He stopped in an empty parking lot. He kept looking at his watch. About the fourth time he looked at his watch, he opened the door, and told me he would be back in five minutes. Sure, I’ve been left in the car with my brothers when my mom went to get groceries, but never at a place like this. I knew better than to question my dad though, sometimes he would get angry and maybe hit a wall or someone beside him. Sometimes he would even throw something; I got my temper from him. So, without asking questions, I waited. It was getting dark, the clouds were coming in, wind was blowing, leaves where flying around, it was the middle of fall, and it was suppose to storm tonight. I waited; for five minutes, then ten, and then I started to worry. He said five minutes, five minutes, not seven, not ten, five! When I got out of the car, I knew I would get in trouble, but I was worried about my dad. I started walking down the parking lot to the building, it was very scary, even though I been in more terrifying places than this when we lived down in Mexico, but this was Chicago, and I have never been here before. I finally got to the building, and I went around to the back just like Papa had done. When I got to the back I saw the most harrowing thing ever, my dad had just been shot. There was blood everywhere, he looked at me and told me to run. I ran to the car, I ran as fast as I could, I could hear more gun shots. The closer they were, the louder they got. This just made me want to run faster. I kept running and running till I got to the car. It felt like it took me forever until I got there. When I finally got there, I opened the door, and at that second I felt the most excruciating pain shoot through my leg. I looked down, and realized that I had just been shot. As they drove away I managed to find my way back to my house, and there I treated my wound.

         Snapping me out of my thought, Javier, my youngest brother threw a pillow at me. He told me that breakfast was ready, and ran out of our room as soon as I turned to punch him. Mama must be in a pretty good mood if she made breakfast.  Today was not only the day my Papa died, but it was also my first day of school at Brooks High School. After breakfast I finished getting ready for school, took a shower, brushed my teeth, all that good stuff. When I was finished getting ready I helped Carmela with her hair then left. I was kind of nervous, not that it was my first day of school, but more that this school was on the North Side, and people like me don’t just show up there every day. When I walked into school I went to the principal’s office; he gave me my schedule.

Principal McName then asked, “So, Carlos why did you get transferred, was it your grades, did you get into a fight, or did you move?”

I said, ”No, I was getting okay grades, but I got into a fight and got expelled, which is totally unfair; I mean sure, I got into a fight, but it was the first one the whole year, the other dude started it, and all he got was a dentition.”

Principal McName then put his hand on my shoulder and said, “Son, life isn’t always fair, but you just got to keep living and moving on. Now get to class.”

Then I replied, “Yeah, trust me, I know,” as I walked out the door.

My first day was over, and I went down to Adalberto’s Body Shop. Since my uncle owned it I got a part-time job working there after school. It was a good pastime, and a good way to put money on the table. Today wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be, except for Chemistry where I had to be lab partners with an annoying little preppy cheerleader. Her name was Cameron. I didn’t like her at all. She was from the North Side, so even if I did like her just the littlest bit she was off limits.

The next day, when I walked into Chemistry, Cameron wasn’t there. Not that I care or anything. Chemistry was so boring; it felt like the time kept dragging on. When we got let out I saw Cameron. She walked right past me.

As she walked past I grabbed her shirt and said, “Where were you, why weren’t you in first period?”

She looked at me and replied, “Why do you care?”

“Looks like someone woke up on the wrong side I the bed, I’m surprised you came to school looking like that,” I said without realizing how mean that came out, and before I could apologize she stormed to the bathroom; it looked like she was about to cry. Later that day, at lunch, I saw her. When I walked up to her table I could hear some of her friends say stuff about me.

I asked, “Do you think I could talk to you in private?”

Cameron said, “Sure, I guess.”

When we were out in the hall I said, “Sorry about earlier sometimes I say stuff without thinking, stuff I shouldn’t say.”

She replied with sarcasm, “Really? I couldn’t tell, and I’m surprised someone like you knows how to apologize.”

I laughed while I said, “No I’m being serious, after I saw you run off to the bathroom almost crying I felt so bad.”

She replied in sarcasm, “Yeah, you sure looked liked it.”

I then choked, “No, I really did, I’m just good at hiding it, but like I was saying, I’m sorry for saying what I said earlier, I didn’t know you would take it so offensively.”

She hissed, “You know, I was already in a bad mood, and if you knew what I was going through, the littlest things would make you pissed off too.”

I said, “Listen, I don’t know what could be so wrong with your life, I mean you got it all made for you. You have a nice house, nice clothes, you probably get whatever you want, and you’re popular. The only thing you have to worry about is buying the wrong lip gloss or breaking a nail.” Her face was red and I could tell she was getting mad.

She replied as she began walking back to her table, “No, you’re wrong! So how about you just stay out of my business and I’ll say out of yours?”

Later that night when I got home I took a shower, I made dinner for Ma and the kids, and then went over to Lucero’s house. Lucero has been my best friend since as long as I can remember. He’s been here for me through everything and knows every detail about me. His mom and my mom were best friends too, and they still are. I haven’t seen Lucero for about a week since I got expelled and moved schools. When I got to Lucero’s house we talked for a while then went to the lake. We always had crazy parties at the lake. While we were at the lake we saw Sandro, he was the gang leader.

As he approached he asked, “Carlos, where’ve you been?”

I answered, “Around.”

He then claimed, “That’s not a good enough answer, but I need your help. I have a delivery that I need done on Halloween night, and I think you’re the guy for it.”

I stammered, “You know I can’t do deliveries, I’ll do anything else, just not deliveries.”

“Well, I need my best man for the job, so if you don’t want to do this, you could always quit, but if you quit, you know what happens,” mumbled Sandro.

“Fine,” I said trying to fight back some tears. After that I walked back over to Lucero.

Lucero asked, “What was that all about?”

I said, “Sandro said he needed me to do a delivery for him, and that if I didn’t I could quit, and face the consequences.”

“You must be out of your freaking mind tell him if he wants it done to do it his freaking self,” screamed Lucero.

I stammered, “It’s not that easy, and plus if I got jumped out and by a miracle actually lived, I would have no way to put money on the table. We all can’t be rich Mexicans like you.” I then walked away to cool myself off. Later, when I saw Lucero again, I looked at him, he nodded and I could tell we were cool again.

When we were in the car on the way home, Lucero mumbled, “Sorry, you know I just don’t want you getting hurt, all I have left is you and my Ma, and I don’t know what I’d do without yah, you’re like my brother.”

I mumbled back, “Yeah, I know, I’m terrified of the outcome. I can’t just get jumped out  and leave Ma to suffer by herself; she’d never make it, especially with Carmela, Javier, and Francisco. We’re barely making it now with the little I’m making, I couldn’t even imagine what it would be like…”

“Yeah, I know what you mean! You know if you ever need money I could loan you some, you know I got your back,” Lucero said as he pulled up to my house.

“Yeah, I know I could never do that though, because I never know what to expect, especially with how I get paid, but I’ll see you next week bro,” I said as I got out of the car. When I got in the house it was quiet, I’m surprised Ma got the kids asleep so early, especially on a weekend. I decided to sleep on the couch so I wouldn’t wake Francisco and Javier up, since we shared a room.

This weekend went fairly quick. When I got to Chemistry on Monday I was happy to see that Cameron was there. When the announcements went on it said something about a homecoming dance, a homecoming bonfire, and a homecoming football game.          

“So, are you going to the bonfire, or the homecoming dance?” Cameron asked me as she batted her long eyelashes.

“Eh, probably not, that’s not my thing,” I said as I looked back at her.

“That’s a shame, it might actually be fun with you there,” she said as she winked.

“Oh, well maybe I’ll consider it,” I said back as Ms. Hazard started teaching again. She said we would be going to the library to do a lab, and if we didn’t finish we would have to do it for homework. When we got to the library we sat in the back and talked for a little before started to work.  When class was over Cameron said she would finish the packet.

I saw her again at lunch and she told me to sit with her, but some of her friends gave me dirty looks so I told her I’d catch her later.

“Flirt much,” Alex, Cameron’s best friend said as she walked up to me in the hall.

“What are you talking about?” I questioned, I was a little bit confused.

“You know what I’m talking about, you and Cameron, why don’t you just ask her to the homecoming already?” Alex asked as she got some books out of her locker, which just happened to be right next to mine.

“Because she doesn’t like me, and even if she did she would never go out with me, I’m a Mexican and she’s a white chick. What do you think her parents would say if I stepped foot on their property? They’d probably have me arrested,” I said back as we started walking to class.

“News flash, first of all Cameron does like you, a lot. She doesn’t shut up about you, and second of all Cameron doesn’t care what her parents think, but don’t tell her I told you,” reassured Alex.

“Oh, and plus, I’m busy that day,” I asserted.

Alex chuckled, “That seems like everyone’s excuse these days and what could you have to do on Halloween night?”

Later that evening I found some papers in my book bag that Cameron must have forgotten to take. I decided to take them to her house. When I got to her house, I knocked on the door.

When Cameron opened the door she said, “Hey, what are you doing here?”

I replied, “You forgot these papers, and I didn’t know if you needed them or not.” As soon as I finished I heard a high pitched scream coming from the living room.

“Wait here,” Cameron said as she ran into her living room. I waited for about 3 minutes, and then went to check on her.

“I told you to wait there,” she yelled as she rocked a baby in her arms.

I asked, “Why is it such a big deal, I mean does it really matter if I know you have a little sister?”

“Well, the fact that it’s not my sister, it’s my daughter does matter,” she said as she started to cry a little.

“What, your daughter?” I asked a little nervous.

“Yeah, last year I was down at the lake, and I got drunk. While I was drunk my ex boyfriend took advantage of me, raped me, but please don’t tell anyone, other than my parents you and Alex are the only people who know,” she said crying.

I gave her a hug, and said, “Don’t worry; you’re secrets safe with me if…”

“If what,” she said stuttering.

“If you go to the homecoming dance with me,” I said as I wiped tears off her eyes.

“Really, you would want to go with me, even though you know everything that happened to me?” Cameron said surprised as a smile crossed her face.

“Yeah, well if you want to go,” I said.

“I thought it wasn’t your thing,” she said with sarcasm.

“Well, I guess I can make an exception for you,” I said as we kissed.

After that I went home, then I called her, she wanted me to call when I got home to make sure I was safe. We ended up talking on the phone till 11:30. After that I took a shower and tried to get some sleep. I had such a hard time getting to sleep, I felt so amazing, and that kiss, oh my.

Friday night I went over to Lucero’s house. When I got to his house I told him all about mine and Alex’s conversation and about when I went over Cameron’s house, but I left out the part about it being her baby, her getting raped, and about her crying; the stuff I told her I would keep a secret about. He asked what I was going to do about the delivery Sandro was making me do, since the dance was on Halloween night, and that was the same night I had to do the delivery. I asked if he would please do it for me. He said he would, only because he hasn’t seen me this happy ever since my father died.

A week before the dance I asked Ma if she could help me get a tux for the dance. She asked if I had a date, and I told her about Cameron. She said she was happy for me, and then we went shopping with some of the money our cousins mailed to us last week. After we found a tux Ma took me to a florist, she said we needed to get a corsage. I told her how Cameron told me that she was getting a pale purple dress. She said I should either pick a purple or white corsage. When I found a corsage we bought it, and went home. When we got home I put the corsage in the fridge and put my tux in the closet.

Later that week I went to Cameron’s house, we were supposed to be studying, but we talked and occupied ourselves. We talked about college, our future plans, our goals in life, and a lot of other stuff. I even told her about my dad, and about how he was killed. I feel like I finally found someone worth fighting for.

The night before the dance I went over to Lucero’s. He gave me a few pointers and I told him about the delivery. I was a little nervous, I knew that if Sandro or one of him men found out it wasn’t me then they would jump me out no matter what. I was also nervous about the dance. I know it’s hard to believe, but I’ve never really been on a real date before. The closest I’ve ever gotten to a date was taking someone to the lake, but Cameron was special.

As I drove to Cameron’s house I had butterflies in my stomach. I felt like I was sweating bullets, especially when I knocked on Cameron’s door and her mom answered. When I got into the house Cameron introduced me to her parents then we took pictures and went to the dance. We danced all night; we even danced to a slow song. When we were leaving the dance one of the supervisors pulled me aside.

The supervisor said, “Carlos, I’m afraid you’re not allowed to leave the school. We have gotten a police report saying that a man named RamĂ­rez has been looking for you; he has been at your house, and at your uncle’s body shop. Luckily, your family wasn’t home while he was there. They are being held at the police station downtown, and police are going to be here shortly to take to there.”

“What about Lucero, did you hear anything about him?” I asked frantically.

The supervisor looked at me confused and said, “I don’t know who that is, but I’m sure the police can answer your questions when they get here.”

I walked away back over to Cameron and told her what was going on. She got scared and asked if she could come with me. I said I’ll ask the police when they get her, but she needed to call her Ma to tell her what was going on.

We’ve been at the police station for about three hours, and they still haven’t found anything out yet. Another hour went past, and they asked if they could talk to me in private, when I was talking to them they told me that Lucero got shot and died. They already informed his Ma. I sat there and they allowed Cameron to come in, she looked at me and knew instantly that something bad had happened to him. She sat by me and wrapped me up in her arms while I cried and cried. I never thought I would ever be caught dead crying in front of a chick that wasn’t Ma, but right now I could care less When I was sitting there crying I realized that Cameron was the girl who I wanted to marry. I’ve never been so sure of anything in my life.

About three weeks later when I was on my way home from school three guys picked me up and shoved me into a black SUV. I knew that it was Sandro, and that I was going to get jumped and I would probably die. I was afraid, but I mean I probably deserved it, my best friend lost his life, because of me, so why shouldn’t I lose mine? The only part I was really upset about was that I never got to tell Cameron goodbye or how I really felt about her, and I never got to tell Ma, and my little brothers and sister goodbye, and now I would never get to see them again.

When I woke up I was somewhere in the woods. I looked around; there were about a dozen men there. I got stabbed, and kicked till I was praying I would pass out again. I knew I had to stay strong for Cameron and my family, but it hurt so badly.

The next thing I knew I woke up to a really annoying beeping sound in a hospital bed. I could hardly move. Ma was there and I never seen her happier then when I saw her face right now. Later that day Cameron walked in. I could tell she was crying and she hadn’t gotten much sleep, but I was so happy to see her. She stayed by my side till I got out of the hospital. When I got out I told her how I eventually wanted to get married and adopt Julia, her daughter, and start a family, and she wanted the same thing. Words couldn’t describe how I felt right know. Love really can change people, and sometimes it makes them crazy.

Cameron and I ended up getting married six year later on Halloween night. We both graduated from college, and I adopted Julia. We decided Halloween night, because sometimes when something bad happens, something good has to come out of it. Cameron is also carrying my child, and now that I look back I wouldn’t change my life, because everything really does happen for a reason.     

© Copyright 2011 megg (bohachhs at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1821796-Chemical-Reaction