*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1805533-Balloons
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Action/Adventure · #1805533
A balloon fight amongst teams and a troubled soldiers will, not to give up.
Balloons shot into the men knocking onto the ground. The young men refilled their weapons, no thoughts, only the carnage which ensued.
“Flank them from the right side, they’ll NEVER see it coming!”
Bob O’Reilly wandered forward dodging one--two--three balloons, he rushed toward his prey.
“I’ll get those blimey bastards. They’re not taking me down, no sir!”
Forward he moved, he saw his comrades falling all around him. Nothing he could do but stare, the light at the end of the tunnel he thought, there must be an end to this horrible madness. Balloons splattered the open air.
Bob withdrew the shabby put together balloon, arching his arm he released it into the eye of his unsuspecting prey.
“Why me, God? Why me? Why not the others?” He fell to his knees crying
Three more of Bob’s enemies rushed him. He was trapped. Nothing to do but take the incoming assault, he wiped the sweat from his forehead as the men drew closer…closer…closer.
He could smell the overdone cologne, gun powder, and a hint of something else. Bob thought to himself for a moment, those pussies are scared? Scared to die? Ha--ha--ha he laughed to himself.
Bob moved into a corner. The only one on his side still standing? The three were so close now, the light at the tunnel shined so bright.
They were here…


***

Mary O’Reilly walked into the hospital room, this would be the day she thought.
“Doctor, oh doctor! Give me the good news.”
“Hello Mary, your husband awoke from his coma last night. We tried to reach you sooner, but you weren’t answering the phone. Come with me we’ll go see your husband.”
They walked down the long corridor, passing rooms of other patients. Mary breathed heavily, she moved from happiness to worry to happiness.
Would Bob even remember? Her brain raced all around and back again, the uncertainty threatened to kill her.
They entered the room where Bob lay, his head nestled atop the pillow and some Western on the TV.
The balloons in Mary’s hand approached the table, Bob’s mind wandered.
“You’re not taking me alive!" He grabbed a cord and wrapped it around his neck…”
Tugging on the cord, he muttered something “I win again. Game over!”
© Copyright 2011 Jowlstar (jowlstar at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1805533-Balloons