*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1795852-Aphrodites-Curve
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Evie
Rated: · Chapter · Other · #1795852
A small village is visited by a mysterious woman who changes their lives.

Aphrodite's Curve



Chapter One





The fog floated over the tracks in a smoky curatin as the last train pierced through the night and pulled into the station like an exhausted horse. It shot out it's steam in a loud hiss and came to a stop.
A woman stepped off the train steaps and through the fumes that hovered. She was clothed in fashinable elegance and strode purposefully to the exit and waiting car.
By the time the sun peaked in the sky, everyone in the village of Aphrodite's Curve was talking about the mysterious woman that had moved into the old Victorian on the hill.
A few women gathered together as a impromptu welcoming commitee and decided to give a warm hello to their neighbor.
Teddy walked to her front gate and joined her neighbors Marge and Natalie McGregor. Each cradled something offer. She held a strawberry shortcake in a domed glass stand, the sun glinted over the smooth cream and bright berries.
Margarite held her famous scones in a pretty dish and Natalie held a bouquet of white roses that she had lovingly grown.
Teddy looked at her friends and smiled. Her dark hair played with the easy breeze.
"I'm so excited to see how she decorated the house. Widow Wiilson always kept that place looking like a brothel." she said. They nodded in agreement.
"I heard that everything was delivered in the dead of night." Natalie said excitedly.
"I just hope she's not a bitch." Margarite said adjusting her earring.
The crisp day was bright when they walked up to the large door that was freshly painted a cheery blue and knocked.
The woman that answered was more than any of them were prepared for.
Her hair was a lustrous chestnut that was gathered up carelessly. Stray tendrils framed her oval face and though she had a generous mouth and slim nose, it was her vivid green eyes that caught the women off guard. They sparkled at them in greeting when she smiled.
Teddy was practically pushed forward and she cleared her throat.
"Good morning, my name is Teddy Westwood and this is Margarite Thomason and Natalie McGregor. We would like to welcome you and your family to our village." she said as they offered their gifts.
"Good morning, ladies. Thank you so much for the thougtful welcome. Please come in." she told them as she held the door open.
They were shocked to find how airy and spacious the house was. It was as if someone had tipped it over and let out all the dark velvets and mahogany fall out, then filled it ip with light walls, woods and fabrics.
"It does look better, doesn't it? Honestly, I thought the place resembled a flophouse." their hostess said behind them and they all turned to see her for the first time.
She stood straight in a white skirt and belted blazer. Her eyes curiously became brighter, but they exuded a genuine feeling that made them very comfortable. She guided them to the formal dining room that looked large enough to fit fifteen. They placed down their offerings and she put out her hand.
"I'm Chrsitmas Black and welcome to my home." she told them graciously.
Each woman took the delicate hand in theirs, each felt the confidence in her firm grip.
"Would you like some tea?" she asked and she gestured toward the living room, where they sat on a soft white sofa among plump colorful pillows. Christmas sat on the sage green printed chair close by.
On a low coffee table was a modern looking tea set. The pot was glass and inside the water floated a beautiful blooming flower that set off a fragrant perfume. Strangely, the women didn't hesitate to taste the tea and discovered it to be the perfect sweet blend. Nearby were small sandwiches arranged on a tiered tray.
"This is wonderful!" exclaimed Teddy after sipping the concoction, a little more loudly than she intended.
Christmas smiled. "I'm so glad you like it."
Margarite was impresses as the others, but she concealed it better. She pinned Christmas with a penetrating gaze.
"What brings you to our humble village, Mrs. Black?" she asked.
Christmas held her tea cup with ease.
'There's nothing humble about a village named Aphrodite's Curve. I feel very comfortable about strting over here. My husband passed away and I just couldn't live in our house anymore." she explained. Margarite's defenses came tumbling down at the sight of the young widow and an admiration grew. Most young women would have moved in with their familes and sought their comfort, but Christmas purchased a house of her own. Such bravery Margarite felt was worth rxtending her hand in friendship.
"I'm sorry, Mrs. Black."
Teddy and Margarite said.
"Yes, very sorry." Natalie added. She was a bit mesmerized by the flower that bloomed inside the glass pot. It's ropy pastel petals waved in the pinkish water.
"Please, call me Christmas." she said smiling warmly.
She turned her attention to Natalie.
"Those roses are exquisite, Mrs. McGregor. Do you enter them in compettions."
Natalie shook her head. Her wavy auburn hair caugh the sun as she smiled shyly.
"No. The reward for me is to see them grow strong and beautiful."
Christmas nodded. "It must be a very fulfilling experience to watch something grow so beautfully because it was lovingly nurtured. I believe that it's more than just putting a seed in the ground." she said. Natalie stared at her in surprise.
Noone understood the profound sensations that she felt when she was in her garden. Not even Teddy or Marge.
"Exactly," she said in wonder.
© Copyright 2011 Evie (sevinsweetie at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1795852-Aphrodites-Curve