*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1794893-fac-entry-unfinished
Rated: 18+ · Fiction · Fantasy · #1794893
two men try to prevet catastrophe
The world shares my apprehension. Arrellion thought to himself as his grey mare carried him silently past another darkened homestead. He had not seen a single person since leaving the forest a week before. At first he praised his luck but as the distance to his destiation dwindled so the disquiet in his soul grew.

Past the abandoned farm the road wound slowly upward through the great bluffs near the river. As he neared the top of the plateau the smell of smoke assualted arrelion's senses. urging his mount faster he rounded the last bend and the horrific vista spread out before him. Where once had stood a vibrant trading village only a smoldering werck remained. Arrrelion's heart stopped. He quickly dismounted and checked his weapons before enterig the newly created ruin.

Keeping to the shadows and making no more noise than one Arrelion made his wa toward the stone husk that was once the Green Dragon Inn. Bodies littered every alleyway and street. Few showed wounds typical of an attack by armed men. Most looked as if they had been ripped appart by some great beast. Finally the three story building lomed before him. The gaping black hole that had onec been the main entrance threatened to swallow the last of his hope.

Across the yard something shifted behid the debris. Arrellion turned and drew his sword i one fluid motion. It was times like these he was glad he didn't need a torch to see at night. He could hear someone breathing raggedly beneath the overturned wagon. A mangled arm stuck out from under the side. A blazing sun tattoo still visible on what remained of the forearm. Putting his shoulder agianst the side he pushed with all the strength his lithe form could muster. Not enough. He quickly thummed through the folded pieces of paper in his belt pouch and found the one containing long course hairs. Holding one of these between his thumb and index finger Arrellion whispered the words. Immediately he felt the power surge through him. He gripped the side of the wagon and easily righted it. Underneath he found two men. The man whose arm had been torn apart was dead but the second still drew shallow breaths.

Arrellion


© Copyright 2011 Michael Bradley (bpeery926 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1794893-fac-entry-unfinished