*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1793216-Mind-Games-Chapter-1
by Anna
Rated: E · Chapter · Action/Adventure · #1793216
This is chapter one of my story, Mind Games.
Madeline walked around the room without knowing why. Her body just wanted to do it, and her brain had completely shut down. She heard footsteps coming towards the room, even though there were no windows or doors.
"Whose footsteps are those?" she asked.
"Mine,"Hayden answered. "See? They stopped, and I'm here."
"But you were always here," Madeline said.
"You're supposed to feel that," he explained. "Remember, you have shut down your mind completely and I am taking control. Now, let's relax."
She felt her muscles loosen and she sighed pleasantly. Hayden was sitting across from her with his eyes closed.
Suddenly Madeline didn't feel so relaxed anymore. She felt a throbbing pain in her temple. She felt heavier, clumsier.
"What was that?" she groaned.
"I let go," Hayden said simply.
"But it felt so nice," Madeline protested.
"That's what I'm here for," he said. "To teach you how to let go. If you don't, you'll be trapped in others' control forever."
"There's no one who wants to control me," Madeline said.
"Oh yes," Hayden said. Lots and lots of people. You are a Saviator, and that makes you very powerful. It also makes people want to hunt you down, and possibly kill you."
"Wonderful," she said sarcastically.
"Take this for protection," Hayden said. He handed her a rose, vividly colored and carrying a sweet scent.
"What can it do?" she asked.
"It gives off a scent that wards of evil," he explained. "It is not permanent, though."
She fingered it absently, studying its bright red petals.
"So," she said. "Now what?"
"Sweet dreams," Hayden said. Everything turned black, and she could remember nothing else.


She had no memory of her dream at all. Madeline sat at her desk thinking about the red rose in her lap. It was very important, she was sure of that. But what was it for?
"Hey, Mad Maid," someone whispered from behind. Probably Bob. Madeline ignored him.
"Mad Maid, get your fat head over here, you hear me?"
She turned around---and got smashed in the face by Bob. Her thick glasses skittered to the floor, and she knelt down to find them. Madeline saw her rose slip to the floor and tried to scoop it up. Too late.
"Ooh, what's this?" Debbie said from across the aisle. She snatched the rose and sniffed it.
"No scent," Debbie said. "Anyway, I'm going to hold on to it." She tucked it in her pocket.
"Give that back," Madeline said, gritting her teeth.
"Come and get it," Debbie challenged. Madeline began to stand up, but the teacher made her sit back down. She sat heavily.
If only Debbie would knock that cup of water on her desk to her skirt, Madeline thought. If only...
Suddenly she wasn't sitting at her desk anymore. She flew through a flashing light and landed back in her seat. But she felt strange, as if her mind had been split in half. Madeline realized she had two presences. She could do her work but could also stare at the cup of water on Debbie's desk. Her hand reached out to grab the cup and the water spilled onto her skirt. Skirt? She didn't have a skirt. Then why---
Madeline was whirling through the light again. She landed at her desk. Debbie was crying out in horror. Madeline blinked and looked up. A wave of agonizing pain made her lower head again. It hurt so much she couldn't think. But Debbie's voice still rang through, clear as water.
"Mr. Johnson, my clothes are wet!" Debbie cried.
The teacher looked up from his book and said,"Go get some towels from the janitor."
Debbie stood and the rose fell out of her pocket. Madeline grabbed it and slipped it into her backpack. Debbie gave her a dirty look, then stalked out of the room. Bob stared at Madeline with a terrified look on his face when she turned around to check her backpack. Before she could speak, the bell rang, and class was over.
© Copyright 2011 Anna (chelc848 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1793216-Mind-Games-Chapter-1