*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1782241-Love-Can-Be-Murderous
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Romance/Love · #1782241
Girl meets boy. Background story of Buffy(this is a story that is connected to my friends)
Love Can Be Murderous 1. A chiming bell echoed the hallways of the local Colorado High School, Coronado High. Locker doors slammed as students raced to their classes. Buffy Delgado, a tall long haired blonde teenage girl who was wearing a red tank top, dark blue jeans with a studded belt and black converse loomed at her locker. She had many classes that were not to mention, AP; or as teachers like to put it “Advanced Placement”. She was frustrated about the fact that she had to take these classes because her mother insisted she do so for her college reputation. She loved her mother, so she was doing it for her. Her mother and brother was the only family she had. She grabbed her hefty books and slammed her locker door, the loud noise echoing through the now deserted hallway. The ticking of the wall clock above the lockers was emphasizing the fact that the bell will be ringing in two minutes. “Shit.” She whispered. Now she would be late for class. Physics was in a totally different building on the other side of school grounds. She’d never make it. She might as well just go to the principal’s office now and get a tardy slip. She walked down the hallway from her locker, her footsteps echoing. When she got out of the building the bell rang. She wasn’t even at the principal’s office before the bell rang. “That clock was so wrong.” She said to herself. She walked into the principal’s office where his secretary, yes his secretary was waiting at her little desk outside his office. “May I help you Miss Delgado?” her little gerbil voice said. Why did the principal need a little minion anyway, and did she really have to remember Buffy’s name but call her by ‘Delgado’? She looked her up and down. “You’re probably here for another tardy slip correct?” She said, already grabbing for the tardy slip stack on her desk. “Yes I am.” She said, trying to sound polite; which didn’t work out very well. The lady, “Mrs. Roy” her nametag said, glared at Buffy from above the rim of her 60’s glasses. It kinda reminded her of her brother Billy’s glare when she annoyed him. “Miss Delgado, I don’t appreciate your attitude, and neither will the principal when he has to sign your fourth tardy slip.” Mrs. Roy snapped back. Buffy glared, her textbooks were starting to get heavy. “May I please just get my slip to get Principal Ayala to sign it so I can get to Physics before I miss anything important, because that is the point of coming to school right, to learn?” Buffy said, shifting her books from her left to her right arm. Mrs. Roy looked at Buffy again, and handed the yellow slip of paper to her. Buffy grabbed it but Mrs. Roy didn’t let it go. “You’re lucky I don’t give you a weeks’ worth of detention Miss Delgado, but you hold quite a subtle point.” Mrs. Roy hissed. Buffy waited for her to let go of the paper, before stomping off down the hall to the Principles office. Someone was already in there so she had to sit on a bench and wait even longer to get a measly piece of paper signed. Buffy could hear the conversation through the door. “Coach please you can’t do this the team needs me. The play-offs are coming up!” A brief pause. “Unless you get your grades up Mr. Santiago you will not be an official part of this team. You know the rules!” Principal Ayala said. Damon Santiago has low grades, since when? “Coach please, can’t you let this slide one time?” Damon said. Another brief pause, then a sigh. “Look Damon, I know you love football. But you know the schools rules, Grades come first. If you can get a ‘B’ on your…your seriously failing Auto Shop? How does a boy fail that? Well anyways if you get at least a ‘B’ on your Auto Shop final, you’ll be able to play, got it?” Damon still didn’t like that, “But-“, Principal Ayala interrupted, “No buts, now go. Get studying!” Damon sighed and Buffy saw the frosted glass door open. Damon looked mad, but when he saw Buffy he forced a smile. Buffy could see in his eyes that he was still mad anyway. She waved sheepishly at him and then he walked off, his backpack on one shoulder. Principal Ayala walked out then and waved Buffy in. What she didn’t know was that Damon never did turn the corner he was supposed to and instead, was watching Buffy who walked into the office. * “So Buffy, what happened this time?” Principal Ayala asked, and he sat in his big chair. Buffy showed him the slip of paper that she wanted to burn to ashes. “Ah, late to class again huh? Is there something wrong Buffy? You have been doing this a lot lately and it’s doesn’t…fit your cup of tea per-say.” Buffy shook her head silently. Principal Ayala sighed and signed the paper. “Your behavior doesn’t seem to be matching your grades is what I’m trying to say Buffy. Your mother says the same.” Buffy looked up. “Yes, Buffy I’ve been calling your mother.” Buffy was about to ask why. “Because, you have so much potential Buffy, and it seems like you’re taking advantage of it.” Buffy shook her head, “I’m not.” She said, sternly. “I’m not saying that’s the case Buffy, it seems that way is all.” “It’s not that way I swear. It’s just…stress is all.” Principal Ayala thought for a moment. “Look Buffy, living without a father is-““It’s not about the fact I didn’t grow up with a father. Do no bring that up!” Buffy hissed. Principal Ayala surrendered, “OK. I’m sorry for mentioning it.” Buffy stayed quiet, looking down at her hands in her lap. “I have a job for you Buffy. I’ve never done this before.” Principal Ayala said, folding is hands together on his desk. Buffy looked up with a raised eyebrow. “I’m listening.” Buffy said simply. Principal Ayala cleared his throat. “I could get rid of all your tardy slips.” Buffy raised her eyebrow again, “What’s the catch?” Principal Ayala laughed. “It’s not necessarily a catch Buffy, more like a favor with me paying you in return.” Buffy crossed her arms and leaned back in her chair. “Go on.” She said. The principal smiled, “I would like for you to tutor a student.” He started. Buffy already knew who it was. Damon. “His name is Damon Santiago, you should know him. He has a low grade in a class of his, which means he can’t play football.” Buffy thought about it. She honestly thought Damon was nice and all, but wouldn’t think he would think the same about her. Buffy shook her head, “I would sir, but do you really think he’ll let me, or like me helping him?” she said, leaning forward in her seat. Principal Ayala laughed, “If it was for his own good and the sake of his football scholarship I think he would reconsider saying no. He’s a smart boy Buffy.” He said. Buffy nodded, “OK, I’ll do it then. “ Principal Ayala smiled. “Good. Well first period is almost over so head out to your next class Buffy. I’ll straighten things out with your first period teacher.” Principal Ayala said, waving Buffy out of the room. “Thank-you!” Buffy called from down the hallway. The principal walked back into his office, “Crazy girl.” He mumbled, then started going through the piles of papers on his desk.
Her next class was Auto Shop, one of her only favorite classes. Buffy was also the only girl at school in Auto Shop. She barely made it through the doorway when the bell rang. “Close Delgado, so close.” Mr. Allen said from his desk in the corner, with a perfect view of the door and the rest of the garage. Buffy nodded in a semi-apology. Buffy saw Damon working on an engine near the only window in the garage. The sunlight reflected off his almond skin which was beaded with sweat. It was always hot in the garage due to no air conditioner and it was a smoldering spring day. Damon was actually a very good looking guy, with his high cheek bones and strong jaw line, straight nose, luring, liquid blue eyes. He only had a muscle shirt on which was splattered with motor oil and grease; his dark jeans were as well. He arms were strong, his muscles rippling under his tight, smooth skin as he tightened a bolt with a wrench. “Yo, Buffy. You going to stand there all period or are you going to get to work?” Buffy jumped, snapping out of her day dream. Oh my god, I just day dreamed about Damon Santiago. She walked over to the teacher and handed him a slip from the Principal. She didn’t even read it the whole time she walked over here; she forgot she even had it. She wished she would have though. Her brother Billy, who had black hair cut to a buzz, really tan skin, and glasses with brown eyes behind them, was at his own station in the far corner of the room. They looked at each other and he mouthed “Where were you first period?” Buffy mouthed back, “Principal, thanks to you!” Billy was told to wake Buffy up by their mother who left for work. He never did. “Sorry.” He mouthed back. Buffy rolled her eyes, “Yeah right.” She mouthed at him, glaring. “Well according to Principal Ayala, you’ll help Damon catch up. Have no idea why he’s failing. He’s the third best student in this class.” Yes because Buffy was the first and her brother Billy was second. Her brother could have been the first best, he is excellent with cars, but he doesn’t pay attention and just copies Buffy when he’s done day dreaming in LaLa Land. Buffy nodded and walked over to Damon’s station after getting a couple things from her station. Billy was confused but shrugged and continued working on his engine. Damon had a confused look on his face, looking at his engine. “Damn it.” He whispered to himself; or at least he thought. Buffy leaned on her elbows on the work table. “Need some help?” She asked. Damon looked at Buffy startled. “Jeez, you scared me.” He said, breathing out a sigh. Buffy smiled a little. “Sorry.” Damon nodded, “Its ok. Totally my fault for not paying attention.” Damon said, smiling a crooked smile. Buffy smiled back, but shook out of it and looked at the engine. “Well it seems your fuel pump is busted.” She said, putting her hair up in a ponytail so it’ll stay out of her way. She started looking around the fuel pump for any leaks or loose bolts. “Y-you don’t have to do that. I’m sure you have your engine to fix up still right?” Damon said, hooking his thumb at her station. Buffy shook her head, “Nah, I finished it yesterday. It actually had the same problem yours does.” Buffy found a loose bolt near the bottom of the pump. Buffy motioned Damon to come and see. Damon walked to the other side of the table next to Buffy and leaned over to see. “Oh, damn I never would have seen that.” He said, his warm breath blowing stray pieces of Buffy’s hair around. Buffy shivered, blushing. She pulled back. “Y-yeah, so all you need to do is tighten that up and voila!” Buffy said in a nervous tone. Damon didn’t seem to notice, but he smiled as if he did. “Thanks.” He said. He grabbed a small wrench and tightened the bolt. “No problem. So why are you um, failing?” Buffy asked. Damon closed his eyes in defeat and sighed, “So I’m guessing you did hear my conversation with the Principal earlier?” Buffy shook her head, but then nodded. “But not only that, he asked me to tutor you.” Buffy whispered. Way to go Delgado, like that helped any! Damon blushed lightly with embarrassment. “Don’t be embarrassed I mean you’re probably all worked up on football right? It’s quite normal.” Buffy said, putting a light hand on his shoulder. Nice save. Damon shook his head, “It’s not like that at all.” He said to himself; but Buffy heard. Or not. Buffy wasn’t much of a sympathetic but… “Do you want to talk about it? I mean it’s not like we have anything else to do.” Buffy said. Damon held a laugh. “It’s not a very touching story if you catch my drift.” He said, lifting his head up and walking to go grab a towel. Buffy turned her head to follow him. Damon had a hurt look on his face as he wiped the oil from his hands onto the once was bleached white towel. He was looking out the window at something that wasn’t there. “Sometimes it’s better to talk about it then to hold it in.” She said, pushing loose strands of her hair out of her face. Damon smiled softly but with no feeling, “My father is abusive to my mother ok? He finally got arrested last night. I was the one who made the call.” Damon whispered. They were too far away from any ears to hear. Buffy felt sad. “Oh.” She mumbled. “Yeah. “Happy Family” of the football star.” Damon said sarcastically. Buffy saw something in Damon’s liquid-water colored eyes as he looked at her. “It seems like you’re guilty of ratting out your dad.” Buffy whispered, putting another light hand on Damon’s shoulder. Damon looked at Buffy’s hand which was nearly the same skin tone compared to his almond skin, then turned away to the window. “I saved my mother’s life; she didn’t deserve what was happening to her.” There was a pause. Buffy waited. “But I believe my father didn’t mean to do those things. That he was sick or something, ya know?” Damon said, looking towards Buffy. Buffy nodded softly. “Did he ever lash out at you?” Buffy asked, leaning her back against the counter again. Damon nodded, “Yeah once, last year. When the team lost that one play-off game, remember?” Buffy nodded. “Yeah, he got mad and said I wasn’t good enough and hit me with the back end of a fire pick.” Buffy cringed, “Ouch.” Damon nodded, “That’s how I got this. I tell people it’s from playing football.” He pointed at a straight line of a scar on his left eyebrow. Buffy felt bad for the guy. “So you want to play football, to show your dad that you are good enough.” Buffy said. Damon nodded, “Yes exactly.” Buffy never knew her dad. Mom said, he had to go away for a very, very long trip that he probably wouldn’t come back from. He hasn’t come back since but Buffy honestly didn’t want him to. If he didn’t have to go on that stupid trip he never would have left them; both Damon and her and father issues. Damon noticed Buffy’s silence. “You ok?” he asked. Buffy snapped out of her thoughts. “Uh, yeah just thinking.” Damon nodded, letting it go. “Look it was nice talking to you, you helped clear my head. I-I’d like to do it again sometime?” Damon said, raising an eyebrow. Buffy smiled. “You need help in another class don’t you?” she asked. Damon sighed, “Damn, you caught me. Yes I need help in U.S. History. I’m not failing or anything, but I barley understand it.” Damon said. Buffy rolled her eyes. Damon smiled, “Please?” he got closer to her. Buffy got nervous, “Maybe.” She simply said. Damon smiled wider and got closer, close enough that Buffy could feel the heat radiating off his body. “Besides, your one cool chick.” He added. She looked in his scorching blue, mesmerizing eyes. They looked like they could see through anything, or even get people to do anything. They were beautiful eyes. Buffy never saw any like them before. “Buffy?” Damon whispered, his warm breathe brushing her face. Buffy shivered and snapped out of it. “OK.” She whispered. Damon smiled, his teeth a blazing white. “Great how about today at my place, after school?” Buffy was confused and disoriented. She was distracted by Damon’s hard stare. She nodded. The bell rang and everyone jumped from their benches and headed for the door. Buffy and Damon were the only ones that didn’t move. Damon smiled one last breath taking smile at Buffy and slide away towards the door. Buffy looked down and noticed a piece of paper in her hand. There was a number and ‘Call me.’ on it. Buffy blushed. Billy came up from behind, “What’s that?” he asked. Buffy jumped, “N-nothing.” Buffy put the piece of paper in her pocket. Billy raised an eyebrow but left it alone. They both walked to their next class.
2. The other classes went by slow and boring like usual. Billy with his annoying, brotherly-self never paid attention and copied his sister’s answers, notes, etc. in all their classes. Buffy unfortunately has all her classes with him. He finds ways to copy her, even if he sits in front of her in the classes with the teachers that prefer alphabetical order. Buffy hated that, of course what sister doesn’t hate her twin brother at least once in their life? Thankfully they were in their last period, World History. The bell hasn’t rung yet. Buffy sat in her seat which was in the front of the class. She opened her notebook and started writing the notes that were on the white board. When the bell rang, her brother barely walked in on time. He’s so slow, he was right behind me a minute ago. Mrs. Bennett came from her desk to the front of the room. She was the professional kind of teacher; with the dark blue pin-stripe skirt suit with white chiffon blouse underneath and black pumps. She has long beautiful maroon reddish hair; today is was up in a clip. She might dress professionally, but she is pretty cool and mellow. She reminded Buffy of her mother. “OK class, today we will be learning about the Civil War a very important event in our history. Please write down the notes on the board and then turn to page 387 in your books and start your assignment.” She said. She walked back to her desk like a model. Buffy was already done with the page and a half of notes and was already working on the assignment. Someone sat in the seat next to her; where no one ever sat. Buffy looked up from her paper. “Hey.” Damon said with a mock salute greeting. Buffy smiled, “Hey.” Damon looked at Buffy’s paper. “Jeez, done with the notes already? I’ve barley got the first couple lines written down.” Buffy smirked, “Start writing the notes before she starts talking, you’ll finish quicker which means,” she tapped on her paper, “you get to the assignment quicker and have a better chance of finishing it.” She explained. Damon raised his eyebrows, “Impressive.” Buffy smiled, “I try. I do this all for my mom. She wants the best for me.” Damon was confused, “And you don’t for yourself?” Buffy shook her head, “That’s not what I meant. My mom and my brother are the only family I have. My father…turned his back on us I guess and hasn’t come back since.” Buffy whispered, looking straight down at her paper. Damon nodded, “And…you feel like you need to do all you can for your family, right?” Buffy nodded, “Exactly.” She mumbled. Damon moved her hair out of the way so he could see her face. “You shouldn’t cry, you’re too pretty to cry…” Damon whispered. Buffy sniffed, holding back the little tears she had and went back to writing. “Seriously, don’t cry. I’ve learned that back in Middle School. I was crying about my father beating my mom hard enough to go into the hospital. Everyone thought I was the big bad boy, and made fun of the fact that “Mr. Macho” was crying. “Damon laughed lightly, “I got in my first fight that day too. Punched the guy right in the kisser. He just wouldn’t stop pointing, pushing, and laughing at me; and I just lost it.” Buffy shook her head, smiled softly but was still trying to hold back tears. Suck it up, Delgado’s never cry for the small crap. Damon smiled softly, “You seem to take your own advice a little too seriously.” Buffy laughed lightly; pulled her hair behind her ear and looked up at Damon with red-rimmed eyes. Damon looked at her solemnly and then smiled softly. Buffy shook her head lightly, angry with herself. She got up to go turn in her paper before anyone else as usual. Damon sat there, completely ignoring his work. When Buffy got back to her seat she said, “You really should do your work.” Damon shook his head, “You’re distracting me. You’re a lot more interesting.” He smiled a cocky smile. Buffy smiled and rolled her eyes. “What’s the excuse for all the other times?” Damon shrugged, “The same exact thing.” He whispered. Buffy looked at Damon, just stared into his eyes again. They were the light to her dark metaphorically and literally speaking. A rich clear water blue that seemed liquid all the time; they were warm and welcoming. “Buffy?” Damon asked same as earlier. Buffy woke up from her day dream. “Sorry.” Damon smirked, “Seems like I’m not the only one being distracted.” He raised an eyebrow. Buffy smiled sheepishly, blushing a light pink. The bell rang then. Buffy jumped in surprise and rushed to get her stuff into her black checkered backpack. A paper ball hit her in the butt. “Hey!’ Buffy said, turning to find her brother whistling suspiciously. Buffy glared. “What? I didn’t do it, Casper did. He said you were drooling and causing a flood.” Billy said, crossing his arms and raised an eyebrow mockingly. Buffy rolled her eyes. “Let’s just hope you meant that metaphorically and you’re not going even crazier.”She sighed. Damon came up behind her. “Come on. Time’s a wasting.” Buffy jumped. “Hey, uh bro I’m going to help Damon out with school work, k? Tell mom I’ll be home by dinner.” Billy raised an eyebrow again. Buffy gave him the ‘don’t even think about it look’. Billy smirked, “Yeah, ok. I’ll tell her.” He said, grabbing his one binder he brought to school and headed out the door. Damon laughed. Buffy was confused, “What are ya laughing about?” Damon stopped laughing, “I just can’t believe you two are twins. I mean I kinda see it in the face but the hair is just way off proportion.” He said. “I got my hair from my mother. Billy seemed to have gotten it from our father, wherever the hell he might be.” Buffy said. Damon nodded.
“A civil war is a war between organized groups within the same nation state or, less commonly, between two countries created from a formerly-united nation-state. The aim of one side may be to take control of the country or a region, to achieve independence for a region, or to change government policies.” Buffy said, reading from her hand written notes. Damon was lying across his floor on pillows with his head perched up with his hand. Buffy was sitting on his computer chair with her notebook in her lap. Damon was looking up at her. Buffy looked down at Damon. “Do you understand now?” Buffy has repeated the same thing three times. Damon smirked, “I think so. But I seemed to have gotten distracted by you; again.” Damon shifted from lying down to sitting cross-legged. Buffy sighed and rolled her eyes. “You need to start paying attention.” Buffy said, sounding more and more like a teacher. “I am paying attention, just not on the subject.” He mumbled, looking straight at Buffy. Buffy blushed a light pink, moving her hair behind her ear. “Now you’re distracting me.” Buffy said, looking back down at notebook. Buffy was about to say something else when suddenly lips were crushing to hers. Woah, Woah, Woah. Buffy’s notebook fell to the ground. Damon put his rough hands on either side of Buffy’s face; deepening the kiss. Buffy was surprised, she didn’t know if she should react or push him away; but God he was a good kisser. Damon shifted positions to where he was on his knees. Buffy decided on kissing back. She kept her hands where they were though, which was gripping the sides of the chair until her knuckles turned chalk white. Damon pulled away for air. Buffy took the chance to start pulling back but Damon got her lips with his again. Buffy moaned in surprise. Damon took it the wrong way. Damon chewed on Buffy’s lower lip. Buffy gasped in pain which gave Damon a change to slip his tongue into Buffy’s mouth. His tongue was ice cold. Buffy had to pull away, this wasn’t right. She barely knew the guy. Buffy pulled away, putting a hand on Damon’s chest to hold him back from trying to kiss her again. Buffy tried catching her breath. She was shocked at the fact that…..Damon Santiago just kissed her. Damon had a cocky smirk on his face. Buffy just sat there, shocked. “By the look on your face you’re quite happy that I did that.” He whispered, moving her hair out of her face. Buffy shook out of her shock. “I-I….don’t know what to say.” She stuttered. Damon put a finger to her lips. Buffy blushed. Damon smirked. “Uh….damn look at the time. It’s 6. I better get home ya know, before I get in trouble.” Buffy stammered. Buffy slipped past Damon and grabbed her bag and notebook from the floor. Buffy was fiddling with putting her notebook in her backpack when Damon put his hands on hers. Buffy looked up. “At least let me give you a ride.” He whispered. Buffy blushed even more red. Damon kept looking at her. “It’s the least I could do. I mean, I actually was paying attention. I was just trying to figure you out at the same time. And besides, you actually let me kiss you.” Damon said, cracking a smile. Buffy held a laugh. Jeez this guy. “Look, Damon I barley met you and-“Damon interrupted her. “I know. I’m sorry. I just….couldn’t control myself. I would blame the hormones, but you’ve probably heard that one before.” He said, smiling sheepishly. Buffy shook her head. “I-I’ve never had a boyfriend before actually, so no I haven’t.” Buffy whispered, embarrassed. Damon was shocked and confused. “You’re telling me a beautiful girl like you has never had a boyfriend?! Woah wait, you said boyfriend….” Damon smirked. Buffy’s eyes grew big. Crap. “Uh…yeah I-I guess I did.” Buffy laughed nervously. “I mean after…that, most people do end up hooking up anyways.” Buffy added, zipping up her bag. Damon smirked, “Yeah.” Damon brushed her cheek. Buffy pretended not to notice by checking her phone for the time. “Look I-“. Damon finished her sentence. “Have to get home. I know.” He grabbed his keys.
“Look about the whole boyfriend thing…it’s still kinda questionable ok?” Buffy said. Damon scoffed, “Why?” Buffy crossed her arms. “Because, you kissed me out of nowhere and I barley know you!” she exclaimed. Damon laughed. “Barley know me? I told you nearly my whole life story.” Damon shook his head in frustration. Buffy sighed, “True, but I don’t know the basics. Like favorite color, past girlfriends, birthday, movie genre, etc.” Damon shrugged. “Then let’s start now. “Red, none, February 24th, Horror/Suspense/Action.” Damon said, turning his head towards Buffy for a second then turning back towards the road. Buffy just sat there. “What about you?” Buffy swallowed a lump in her throat. “Black or Red, no boyfriends, October 13th, Horror/Action.” Damon smirked, “That’s pretty damn close to what I said. See we know about each other now.” Buffy shook her head. “That’s not enough for me Damon.” “How is that not enough?” Buffy scoffed “Look for now I need to get home and we are just......really good friends that have kissed once.” Buffy said, grabbing her bag from the floor of the car. “Turn here.” She added. Damon turned onto Buffy’s street. A few seconds later they were in her driveway. Damon parked the car and looked over at Buffy. Buffy was reaching for the door handle but the door wouldn’t open. Buffy turned to tell Damon to open the door but lips were on hers again. Buffy was frozen she couldn’t move react or anything, but she was tingly inside. The sneaky bastard. When Damon pulled away Buffy still sat there frozen. “I said a few seconds ago that we were just friends that have-“Damon interrupted, “kissed twice.” Buffy couldn’t help but smile to herself at that. Damon then reached over to press a button that un-locked the doors. Buffy jumped a little at the sudden click that broke the awkward silence. “I’ll see you tomorrow.” Damon said. Buffy nodded and opened the door and got out of the car. Damon pulled his Corvette out of the driveway and drove off into the night.
“Who was that hon?” Buffy’s mother, Mandy, called from the kitchen. Buffy dropped her backpack by the door. “Uh, no one just a friend that needed tutoring.” Her mother laughed, walking into the entry hall with a dish towel in her hands. “Yeah, a friend that is a boy with a nice car.” Buffy blushed lightly, looking down at her backpack she dumped on the floor. She wanted to drop the subject. “So how was your day mom?” she asked, putting her hands in her jean pockets; which is one of her nervous habits that only and unfortunately her brother knew about. “It was the same as usual. Got a new case, been working on it all day. Trial is in four days.” Buffy then did notice that her mother was indeed in her usual attire when she was working on tough cases; a tank top with sweat pants, her hair was up in a messy pony tail. Her mom was very pretty with her long curly brown hair, high cheek bones with her full lips and hazel eyes. “That’s good.” Buffy said. Her mother cocked her head curiously. “Your flushed honey are you ok?” She put her hand on Buffy’s cheek and forehead. Buffy smiled at her worry-some mother. “Yes, mother I’m fine.” Buffy laughed. Her mother was always this worry-some. “Well dinner is waiting for you on the table. I had to scold your brother to not eat it all.” Buffy rolled her eyes. She walked to the dining room where her brother was sitting on a chair to the side playing with his phone. “Yo sis, how was the jock?” Buffy widened her eyes at her brother. Her mother raised her eyebrow and crossed her arms. “This friend that needed help was a jock? Honey you know how those boys can be.” Buffy sighed. “Mom, it was nothing he needed help with a class we have together, ok? That’s all!” “Oh really? Then why did you smile every time he said something funny, which by the way was not funny.” Billy concluded. Buffy glared at her brother. She wanted to choke him. “Buffy why didn’t you tell me about this? Honey you know what I’ve said about boys.” “Mom, just because dad left you to fend for yourself with us doesn’t mean I can’t have my own love life. It’s nothing anyways.” Her mom looked shocked. Buffy rarely talked back to her mom like that. Her mom grew stern. “Your father did not want to leave, trust me. He wanted to watch you grow up but he had no choice.” Her mother’s eyes got a little watery. “Mom, I didn’t mean it that way.” Buffy said, taking a step towards her mother. Her mother shook her head, “I know. It’s been hard on all of us. Just try to watch your words.” Buffy felt bad about talking about their dad like that. I mean she kinda hated the guy for leaving them but, still. “Go and eat your supper before it goes cold.” Her mother whispered. She walked off to the stairs and went up them one at a time. “Nice going sis, now you upset mom.” Billy said, crossing his arms. Buffy turned and glared at her annoying brother. They used to get along so well when they were little, then puberty hit. “You’re really a jerk you know that?” Buffy sneered. Billy smirked, “As a matter of fact I do!” he said back. Buffy rolled her eyes. Now her mother knew about Damon, perfect. Of course there wasn’t really anything to know about, except the fact that he kissed her twice and gave her his number. Should I text him? Maybe after dinner...
Dinner was quiet thanks to Buffy’s comeback to her mom. Billy just sat at the table to “try” and finish his homework while Buffy nibbled at her dinner quietly. Buffy sooner or later gave up on eating her dinner and decided to just stir it around with her utensil. She didn’t feel like eating anymore. She felt miserable and pissed off at herself for talking like that to her mother. She didn’t deserve that all. Billy, unsurprisingly, wasn’t actually doing his homework and saw the look on his sister’s face. He sighed, “I know you didn’t mean to talk to mom like that.” Buffy glanced up from her plate at her brother, but only for a second before bringing her gaze back down to her “masterpiece” of veggies and pasta. Billy continued. “It’s hard on me too ya know.” Buffy looked up again, but this time stayed that way long enough to say. “I never said I was the only one.”
3. Children laughed and danced through the house. It was Buffy’s and Billy’s sixth birthday. Their mother, trying to keep her sanity as the kids romped around the house. She was about ready to pull her beautiful brown hair out because of all the food she had to prepare, the chance of one of the kids breaking something or, even something happening to one of the children themselves. She had a pretty black halter strap dress that went down to her knees and fit her figure well. She always dressed professionally no matter what the occasion. Buffy and Billy were playing games with the other children in the living room while Mandy was in the kitchen dining room area preparing things for the party when the doorbell unexpectedly rang. Mandy went to go get it. When she opened the door she nearly fainted...Her children’s father, her husband was at the door. She could barley talk. “V-Vlad?” He was in a well tailored dark suit. “Hello, Mandy.” “Y-you’re not supposed to...“ “Be here? Yes I know, but I was in desperate need to see my children.” He said with a strong Romanian accent. Mandy grew sad and mad at the same time. “After 6 years? 6 god-damned years?!” Mandy exclaimed. Vlad grew solemn, but had sadness hidden in his expression. “I know, I am truly sorry for that. You know why I had to do what i had to do. It was for you and the children.” He didn’t move from his position from right outside the doorway. Mandy sighed, “You know they won’t know who you are. But if they do recognize you, all you did for them will be for nothing.” Vlad sighed then, “But, I really wanted to see them with my own eyes. The videos I received were not enough for me.” Mandy was close to tears again. Remembering how she recording every single thing she could about the children. Their first words, learning their ABC’s, their first steps, anything and everything that dealt with them. “Oh, Mandy darling please don’t cry. You know how I don’t like it when you do that.” Mandy held a small laugh, wiping a tear from her eye before it ruined her perfect make-up. “They are just so cute. But every time they mention their father and ask where he is I nearly break out in tears. They will never know who you are until the time is right; which you still have not told when that will be.” Vlad grew a little paranoid about that subject. “It’s a complicated process.” He simply said. Mandy sighed in frustration. “Everything is always complicated.” Vlad had a concerned look on his face. He hated the fact that he had to hurt his family to protect them. He remembered the day his children were born, how they snuggled up to their mother. They were so peaceful and beautiful children; one wrapped in blue, one wrapped in pink. He promised himself that he would never let anything happen to them. A few months after that, a terrible thing happened. While Mandy and he were downstairs watching the news on T.V, he heard a noise up stairs, in the babies’ bedroom. He jostled up from his seat next to his wife and ran up to the threat. He opened the door of the babies’ bedroom and saw a dark figure standing over the crib. He growled and lunged at the threat. The dark figure turned around and dodged. Mandy came up soon afterwards and turned on the light. Billy and Buffy were crying, not knowing what was going on. Vlad had the man no the vampire trapped in the corner of the room. He stood at a protective position. “What the hell do you think you are doing?!” he started to yell, but then quieted down when he thought of the children. The vampire stood defenselessly in the corner of the room. “The vampires think that you are becoming weak because you received children and became a, what’s it called, a “family man”.” The vampire said calmly. Vlad was confused. While Vlad and the vampire were talking things out, Mandy slowly made her way to the crib without taking her eyes off of the vampiric threat. When she got to the crib she reached down to calm down Buffy and Billy. “Shhh my babies, it’s alright. You’re ok.” “Weak, how?” Vlad asked furiously. The vampire raised an eyebrow. Vlad’s eyes became wide in shock. “A weak ruler? I don’t know if you have noticed but I see nothing wrong with our empire. The vampires are keeping out of sight and none of have been killed.” The vampire laughed darkly. “Yeah sure, but where has the king been to tell us what to do every second? With his mate and children, that’s where.” Vlad noticed this. “That doesn’t give you the right to disrupt and attempt to hurt my family, Michael.” “I’m not the only one that wants to hurt them. All the vampires do. They don’t like the fact that the King vampire, isn’t around. You could call it jealousy but...” The vampire named Michael shrugged. Vlad still stood in his protective stance in front of both Mandy and the crib. “They will come and hurt them. If you do not come back to us and rule like you are supposed to.” Vlad growled. “You have no right to tell me how do to my job.” Michael smirked. “You’re right, I don’t. But as an old friend, I think I have some kind of right.” Vlad clenched his jaw. “There’s no other way?” Michael shook his head. “Afraid not, my friend.” Mandy was confused; she didn’t pay attention because she was preoccupied at trying to calm down her children. She saw her husband’s shoulders slump. That was a bad sign, she knew that much.
That was when her husband had to tell her that he had to leave for a very long time. There was no way to put it gently. Leaving his family behind while he had to control crazed vampires was a scary thing to Mandy. She nearly cried for 2 hours after he left. The last thing to remember him by was a final kiss. And it wasn’t any kiss. It was a worried, un-easy, but loving kiss. One that felt like Vlad himself was afraid for what the future might hold for him and his family. He was rarely afraid of anything. But that kiss showed that he was finally afraid of something; losing his family. Will something happen to them even if he was doing what he had to do to protect her and the children? Mandy didn’t know. She was confused and miserable as she lied on her bed all alone, no big strong husband to comfort her.
Mandy and Vlad were staring at each other in the doorway. Vlad smirked a little. “You haven’t changed.” He murmured. Mandy smiled a small smile. “Neither have you. But, no matter how much I want you to be here, you can’t.” She said sternly and softly. Vlad sighed, “Just one peak at them darling, please.” He pleaded. He rarely pleaded like this. Maybe he did change. Missing your family and wondering if they were all right 24/7 while keeping deranged vampires under control who knows where could change a person. Mandy sighed. Just then Billy wandered into the entry hall. He looked up with big brown eyes. Mandy grew tense, unlike Vlad who smiled a little. His boy...he finally saw his boy in real life. Billy cocked his head. “Mommy, who’s that?” he said, in a slight “baby-tone”. Vlad smiled wider. And now his son has finally talked, music to his ears. Mandy cleared her throat. “Oh, it’s um just a family friend wishing you and your sister a happy birthday. And right now he has to leave.” Mandy turned around to close the door, give Vlad one last stern but loving glance before shutting the door in his face. A tear threatened to escape when she did that to her husband she loved so much. He really didn’t deserve a door slammed in his face. Mandy then turned to find Billy at the window next to the doorway. He was looking outside, waving. She went to the window and saw Vlad outside waving back. Mandy saw how Billy was looking at him. Some kind of longing look, like he was thinking of wanting something that wasn’t there. Mandy gently pulled Billy away from the window, “Go play with the other kid’s honey. Go have fun.” She whispered. Billy looked up at his mother sadly but then smiled, his inner child kicking in and ran off to the living room to play. Mandy looked back at the window and say Vlad outside, still on the porch, looking down at the floor. He looked like he was going to cry. Mandy knocked on the window lightly. Vlad turned his head sharply toward the window. Mandy smiled, close to tears again and put her palm to the window. Vlad smiled lightly and put his hand to the window on the opposite side of the window. Vlad’s hand was three times bigger than hers. Mandy was looking at his and her hand for a few seconds. Vlad tapped on the window. Mandy looked up. Vlad smirked, and Mandy saw his lips word “I love you.” Mandy felt a tear roll down her cheek then. She nodded. “I love you too.” She mouthed. Vlad smiled wider but then remembered something. “What about Buffy?” he mouthed. Mandy shook her head. “Too risky.” She mouthed. Vlad frowned. “Please?” Mandy thought for a moment. “How?” she mouthed, shrugging. “Other window.” He mouthed. Mandy was hesitant at first but then pointed to the left. Vlad nodded and walked over to the left of the house. Mandy followed, walking through the crowd of kids running around the living room; boys on one side playing, soldier and who else knows what, and girls on the other side playing tag, and other simple kid games. There were about 10 boys that Billy invited and only one girl that Buffy invited. Vlad was waiting by the window when Mandy slid it open a little ways. “She only invited one person?” Vlad asked once the window was open. Mandy looked over at Buffy who was sitting, not really doing much while the other girl played with a doll she brought. Mandy shook her head. “She doesn’t talk much. Her only best friend is Billy, only because they are twins and now each other like the back of their hands. She only invited her because she was the only one who talked to her while she sat alone in the far corner of the classroom.” Vlad nodded. Mandy sighed. “She doesn’t like people very much. The only people she trusts are Billy and me.” Mandy whispered. “Which means, she probably wouldn’t even get close to me?” Vlad said sadly. Mandy looked over at Vlad outside the window, looking sadly in the distance at Buffy. “Billy is a complete opposite in that subject on the other hand. Not shy at all.” The other little girl got up and walked over to Mandy. She shooed Vlad to hide and leaned down to hear what the little girl had to say. “I have to go to the bathroom.” She said softly. Mandy nodded, “That hall right there honey. It’s the very first door.” The little girl nodded and walked to the bathroom. Vlad appeared again before Mandy could turn back around. He was looking at Buffy again, who was now all alone. She was watching the boys playing soldiers and then tucked her legs under her chin. “She is a beautiful little girl.” Vlad whispered. Mandy nodded, “She really is.” Vlad laughed. “Reminds me of you. She’s blonde.” Mandy turned towards Vlad. “You’re the one that told me to dye my hair.” Vlad scoffed, “Yes for protection, not for some stupid experimental reason.” “I know, I’m just messing with you.” Vlad smirked and turned back to watch Buffy. She seemed uncomfortable, left out. “She won’t always be like that, especially when High School comes.” Mandy said, tired of standing in her black satin heels so she sat down on the cushioned chair near the window. Vlad rolled his eyes but she didn’t see. “But such a beautiful flower, my beautiful flower will sooner or later attract an annoying little bee, a pest.” He said with an annoyed tone. Mandy laughed at his saying. “That’s part of life Vlad, how do you think we met?” Vlad looked up at Mandy and considered this. “That is not part of my point. If one boy hurts her...” “You will be the first one I call, that way you can beat him to the ground personally.” Mandy interrupted. Vlad smirked, “You know me so well darling.” Mandy smiled. There were minutes of silence as they watched their children, well be children. Vlad then felt his phone vibrate and pulled it out to look at it. “Damn it.” He hissed. Mandy turned to Vlad. “What is it?” she said, shifting in her seat. Vlad clenched his jaw. “I have to go.” Mandy looked sad, but understood and nodded. Vlad shook his head put pulled a piece of paper out of his suit jacket pocket. Mandy didn’t notice because she was telling a boy to stop jumping on the couch. Mandy turned around and saw the paper, stuck under the window with no Vlad. Mandy sighed and pulled the window up to get the piece of paper. She smoothed it out and read:
I, for some reason am not able to tell you this in person. But, the time when everything changes is within our children’s 17th year, frankly that is all I can tell. I have also had a close vampire of mine, Bishop, watching over you and our children from now on; just in case. If you need anything call to him. He will answer and then report to me. He reports to me daily. I am sorry for all the complicated measures you have been taking and the future ones to come. You and the children did not deserve a life like this. I never wanted our lives to be like this, so overly difficult to consult with, especially when the children came into our lives. Just remember that I will come back and be with you and the children. And that I always will love you. Be strong and keep fighting, like I’m doing every day so I can be there when the time is right.
Vlad

Mandy sighed as she put the paper down in her lap and looked out the window where her husband was only minutes ago. Will their lives ever be normal? Of course not because her husband was the King of the vampiric race. Their lives will never be normal, but at least they could be close to normal. “What’s the matter mommy?” Mandy looked up to see Buffy standing next to her near the arm of the chair. Mandy realized that she was crying. She wiped smoothly and carefully at her eyes before her mascara ran. She sniffed. “Nothing baby, I’m ok.” She whispered, smiling as she smoothed Buffy’s hair behind her ear. “But you were crying.” Buffy said. Mandy smiled lightly. “Yes I was, but I’m fine now I promise.” Buffy looked up at her mother. “Ok.” She said. Mandy kissed Buffy on the forehead. “Go run along and play baby, have fun.” Buffy frowned, “But, I’m not having fun, mommy.” Mandy frowned, copying Buffy. “Well, why not? This is your party you know.” Mandy said, poking Buffy’s belly. Buffy laughed. “I just, don’t have many friends. Kids don’t want to talk to me.” Buffy said. Mandy pulled Buffy’s chin up. “Well honey, sometimes you have to talk first to start a conversation.” Buffy looked down and then back up again. “But I don’t like talking. I’m sh....sh...what is that ‘s’ word again?” Buffy said. Mandy laughed. “You mean shy? Yes I know your shy baby, but you have to overcome that.” Buffy shook her head, “I don’t want to.”
© Copyright 2011 Scarletrose (scarletcrimson at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1782241-Love-Can-Be-Murderous