*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1776012-Light
Rated: E · Short Story · Other · #1776012
unexplainable
As the bleeding sky slowly began to fade, I started to feel vulnerable. My heart sped up slightly but only just enough to make me notice, and not frighten me. I felt had to reach safety. Streetlights began to shudder into life but the area away from the lamp posts became continually more ominous. Dark creatures began to surround the wide circles bathed in luminescence; though they dared not pass the threshold of light. I waited, and since I could not move I gave myself over to the brilliant illumination. Its radiance enveloped my whole being and the fear of the darkness fled from my mind. My confidence renewed, I took on the shadows as they had to retreat in my presence. I ventured away from the light source I had received my courage from, to take on the center of evil itself. But as I strayed from my roots the light in my chest began to dissolve and what was once lit around me dropped into black. Dread stirred and I returned in a panic sprint to the lamp post, the evil animals clicking at the soles of my feet. I didn’t understand what had just transpired. Surrounded in brightness again I started out on my trek a second time, getting twice as far, but my light died again. I was too far away this time to return and the terror re-entered my mind. Terrible monsters swarmed around me and I called to the light. I was beaten down, my body became more wound than flesh, and I tried to cry out once again but my strength had gone completely. How I longed to embrace the wonderful phosphorescence that had delivered me before. My consciousness slowly trickled away and as the dark was nearly absolute, I saw the faces of my attackers. The Light, more powerful than I had ever seen it, ignited the air and the creatures were powerless against it. When everything was peaceful again, and I felt myself restored, the Light picked me up and carried me, away from where it once stood and towards the heart of darkness I had so desperately tried to defeat before. I sat and watched as the Light overcame the evil and with a decimating blow destroyed all together. The sun rose and its veins spread once again across the hills and the Light said to me, “When you do not have me you are nothing, when I am not present within you, you will not survive the trials of this life. When you assume that my power is your own, you lose sight of who I truly am.” He set me down and reached his hand into my chest as crushed my blackened heart. At first I was frightened but a new heart was put in its place and I felt rejuvenated as I never had been. He addressed me once again, “Now you will never be without my presence. So go, and spread me across the land, and change people the way I changed you.” I obeyed and to this day I listen to his voice inside of me and live in peace and laughter…
© Copyright 2011 jrintelman (jrintelman at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1776012-Light