*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1768402-A-Store-y-Day
Rated: E · Other · Other · #1768402
Written for WDC Survivor.
As people come and go I rest on my soft velvety cushion. The cushion feels so warm and soft I don’t mind at all. People pass by here and there but I don’t care. I wait patiently for the right person to come and take me home. Often, it’s just a random girl or boy that might glance at my heart-shaped ruby. But here I lay where other necklaces surround me. None of those necklaces has a special heart ruby like I do, but often the most picked. There was not even a chance to say hi. I feel lonely and often would just love to be worn around someone’s neck… anyone’s neck. That would give me the company I desire, someone I could talk to, tell jokes, and laugh. But all the same I love my soft velvety cushion too. Sometimes I would hug it and enjoy the soft smooth response it gives when I hug it.

As I hugged it an old looking lady walked by and stopped. She seemed to stare directly at me, specifically my heart ruby. Her eyes only spoke of kindness and sympathy. Then she disappeared and my soul plunged. It seemed as if she would be the perfect fit for me. A moment later everything seemed to go upside down. My cushion was taken away from me and then I rested on hard glass. The way I was placed on the hard glass I cringed. The thud did not feel good nor did I understand what was going on. Then something lifted me off of the hard glass. It felt just as warm and soft as the cushion, but I could tell it wasn’t a cushion, it was the old lady’s hand. The kindness and tenderness the touch possessed as it touched me felt good, better than the velvety cushion in fact. After the hand came the neck. Then I saw a dark-haired young lady smiling.
“How does it feel?” she asked.

I feel perfectly at home, I replied. Of course the question was aimed at the lady though. After seeming to stay in one place forever here I am now able to have a companion- the perfect one. Then the dark-haired young lady went out of view for a contrastingly different view. It was the doors to exit this place that had kept me locked up by glass in one place for a long long time. Outside I saw a giant fierce light that seemed to be just disappearing behind the clouds and saying good bye. People walked to and from these, well, not all of them looks like that Jeep in an ad I had examined one time.

After going into one of those things that was not a Jeep she took me for a drive. The movement was so soft and quiet I was not sure if she was driving or was standing still. The scene through the glass changed though so I am assuming she was driving. The radio was on and tuned to classic rock, my favorite music. As the driving and music went on I felt comfortable… maybe too confortable…

When I woke up it was pitch black. I could hear crickets chirping outside and rats scampering and searching in the deep dark crevices. I looked around and noticed the only light entering into this room was a light from the outside. The wind howled something fierce and threatened to tear down the walls. It was nice and peaceful- well as peaceful as can be- back in the store. This place offered an entirely new world. By watching my new master, I felt like anything that deemed threatening can’t touch me. I am safe here as long as I am with her.

Later on I heard some darkening footsteps and a heavy breath of doom. I shivered, and then wondered about what was happening. Looking out the winder I noticed it was thundering and lightning, like a dark in stormy night would be. Rain started pouring heavily and turning soil into mud. I felt as hollow as a bird’s bone. The lady woke up, came over by my side and took me by her hand. That soft warm reassurance from her allowed me to relax. However something was wrong. Her hand was tense as if trying to protect me. I shuddered at the thought of the doom I had heard only minutes before. What is going on? I do wish to find out quickly. Then a thud of a door being knocked down answered my question. Something bad is happening. A gunshot, my master fell, and then this mysterious clocked figure grabbed me and tied me up in a bag that threatened my very existence. This darkness the bag had left me felt crowded and lack of air. I kept flinching at every hard move received. What happened to the lady who cared for me so much? Would I be able to return to her all in one piece? I was doomed for sure…

After many hours in the darkness the rough meanie took me out of the bag and placed me on some type of wood that kept giving me the itches. I felt heartbroken and alone. This had to be the worst thing that ever happened to me. I carefully moved one of my pearly chains to hang off the edge. Maybe there would be a way to get out of here. I have to try. Slowly, a centimeter at a time, I moved further and further closer to the edge. Just one more move and I can slide myself away to freedom…

Plop! I did it; I made it to the floor. As quickly as I could I went underneath to where that meanie guy would not find me. Now at last I am safe. But this victory did not last long at all. If mice are dumb and small then rats are extremely intelligent and large. The figure that showed up was one of my worst nightmares. The eyes shown red in the very dim light and the size of it was larger than any mouse I had ever seen. This had to be a rat. Drats. The eyes had a look of hunger and greed. I shivered. Here I am a heart ruby necklace and a rat normally went for anything shiny, valuable, or both. In this case I am both. I don’t even know what all I can do to protect myself… Time will surely tell. The rat picked me up and decided to carry me off somewhere.

The next thing I realized I was someplace icky and gooey, like in the back tank of a gas station’s public toilet. There was no way this place would be safe. It all smelled… of… gas. Yuck! Worst place ever yet. My day was totally ruined by that rat. Drats. I should just plot, plot for a way to escape from this nasty place. Yet here I float with no hint for a way out. Then I noticed something was happening. The liquid was going someplace- or somewhere. It might be the key to escaping this very dreadful place. I allowed myself to follow wherever the current of this awful liquid was leading. It turned and twisted and traveled for what seemed to be miles on end. I felt sick. When would this ever end? After what seemed like forever it stopped. I heard the roar of a car engine and the rev of a pedal pressed.

Words: 1,254 (has to be exact w/ prompt rule)
WDC Survivor: 2nd week
© Copyright 2011 Angelica- Happy July 4th! (dragonfish at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1768402-A-Store-y-Day