*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1767676-The-Dragons-thoughts
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Other · #1767676
The dragon remembers
         It had been a thousand years or maybe it was ten thousand.  Funny how time only means something to me in short lengths now.  I could no longer even remember how many lives I had lived.  I could however remember everything that had happen in this life.  I had to somehow recall the beginning as My time was growing short.
         It was not even on earth that it all began.  They had left their home with its green skies and purple oceans just before the star it orbited imploded in on itself.  Each of the elders were kept in status pods while a small worker class lived and died flying them here.  Each replaced by their children who would be replaced by their children and so on and so on.  The knowledge of their home had long been lost before they arrived on earth.  If the status pods had not been set to activate as soon as the ship landed most likely no one would have known how to revive them.
         After the ship landed many of the crew began exploring the surroundings.  The remaining crew began setting up an encampment from supply only reachable from the outside of the hull.  A failsafe put in place so there would be what the elders needed to restore their civilization.  Once the status pods had finish their reviving cycle, the elders put up protective shield encircling the encampment getting both those outside out and those inside in.  That divided the crew into two separate groups.
Most of those who had went exploring blended into local clans of humans sharing what little they knew as the generations spent on the ship had caused many gaps in their knowledge.  The building of the pyramids and traveling on the oceans gifts they give but they were not passed down successfully.  After generations they had become more of legend than fact.
                Those still under the dome where taught the old ways by the elders.  They adjusted to the slightly different interaction of the elements of their new home.  Only after the last elder had taken his cycle of rest was the shield allowed to fall away.  The younger ones who had been born on this sphere were more interested in getting to know the rest the humans instead of learning the ways of the older ones.
                  Many of the elders, my brothers, came back once or twice before seeing the old ways disappear became too much for them.  Unlike most of my brothers I could not stay away I was fascinated by these humans.  As soon as the life span of the form I had taken expired I would come back for another.  They are tenacious and creative.  The old ways are not lost on them and they learn quickly.       
© Copyright 2011 Clanbear (clanbear at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1767676-The-Dragons-thoughts