*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1761549-Daily-Flash
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Other · Contest Entry · #1761549
first try at daily flash comp
It was dusk, the sun was tipping over the red horizon, the air traffic control tower had the green shades half-way down to curb the glare.
"ax come in, ax come in, do you read me ax" beads of sweat were starting to form on the forehead of the new air traffic controller, his first professional shift and a plane was down; surely not god please no he said to himself over and over again – come on answer dammit, his hand trembling over the softly illuminated keyboard, he could feel his heart pound rapidly in his chest.
A warm hand was placed on his left shoulder by Arnold Watts the seasoned air traffic control shift head, he had heard the distressed tone in Sam’s voice and honed in on him like a shot to mentor him to reassure and comfort the rookie.
Arnold was stocky had the appearance of an oil rig roughneck driller but he had overseen every emergency the air traffic control team had been through he was ‘the man’ on the floor.
A voice crackled in the rookie Sam’s  left ear. it was faint and weak, “hello tower this is ax do you hear me”  Arnold gently squeezed the shoulder of the rookie as he tried to be calm and collected “hello ax please state your position over” the optimism and adrenaline charging through his veins.
“Five thousand feet, instrument failure, one engine out, can see the runway lights need to come in now”
Sam took a very deep breath collected himself and depressed the switch to speak to the pilot of the stricken Gulfstream private jet
”I will wave you straight through to land ax once you see the Lion Rock you are almost home, it is one mile from the start of runway 13.
© Copyright 2011 tomking97 (tomking97 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1761549-Daily-Flash