*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1757949-A-man-of-few-word
Rated: 13+ · Other · Romance/Love · #1757949
Read to find out! All you have to do is read the prologue, seriously.
Prologue:



[Derek]



I've always been quiet, not so much shy. And by always I mean ever since the beginning of high school. But there was a reason for that, and still is. At school, i'm always hiding behind books. I'm a natural bookworm. I don't mean to sound conceited, but i'm most likely one of the smartest kids in my class.



On the exterior, I appear as quiet, everything I just described basically. On the inside; there is way more to it. I am outspoken, I am wise, I am me. Many have tried to crawl underneath me but no onen has ever suceeded. I have one friend, Ashton Anderson. Even I don't speak to him a lot. I have known Ashton for as long as I can remember.



Tomorrow is the first day of school of my senior year, it's finally the last year of high school and I can't wait to get the hell out of here. It's like i've been trapped in hell for the longest time. As the bell rings, I gather my belongings and head straight to my American History class. I sit down and put my bag next to the vacant seat on my right. The bell rings for class to begin and Mrs. Maya walks in. I look around and see my fellow classmates chatting amongst themselves, oblivious to everything around them.



The classroom door flies open and a girl with long white hair walks in. Her skin was soft and she had a lean, thin body. She walked over to the teacher and showed her schedule to her. Mrs. Maya looked up and searched the classroom.



"Okay class, we have a new student," Mrs. Maya smiled warmly. The class became silent as they stared at the girl with white hair in awe. "Her name is Luna Knight." Mrs. Maya looked in my direction and pointed at me.



"You'll be sitting by Derek."



I wasn't too sure how I felt about that. It probably doesn't matter anyway seeing as I won't talk to her. I mean it's highly unlikely. Luna walks over to the table next to me and sits down. She looks at me and smiles a perfect smile. She had violet eyes and as she smiled, the seemed to smile too.



"Hey, I'm Luna, Luna Knight," She whispered. I hesitated at first but then decided to introduce myself.



"Derek Summers."



Chapter one:



[Luna]



He told me his name was Derek, Derek Summers. he had blue eyes and black hair. But as far as information goes, that's all I know. For the past two weeks Derek had barely said two words to me. Scratch that, all he said was two words, he said his name. And i'm not even all that sure if you could count those as words. Every time I would ask him a question he would nod his head yes or no. I must admit that I could have asked him something that wasn't a yes or no question. So yes, I take half the blame.



Derek is in all of my classes except art class. As ironic as it is, every teacher sat me next to him. It looked like he didn't mind, but that was pretty much the only look he had. Every day he seemed calm and at peace with the world. Still, I wonder what he really feels.



I had made one other friend, Ashton Anderson. He sat next to me in my art class, the only class we had together. I found out that he was Derek's best friend. Talk about coincidences. But to be honest, I was kind of surprised that Derek has a best friend.



"What's he like?" I asked as I arrived to my usual seat.



"Who?" He asked raising his eyebrows.



"Derek," I said.



"He's...different," He started. " To be honest, I don't know all too much. I've known him since we were kids anad he's rarely ever let me in."



"Oh." I said fixing my gaze on my empty canvas.



"Why?" He asked.



"Just wondering. He always has his head in a book, very quiet," I stated. "Intriguing."



"You interested?" He asked.



"Interested?" I said confused.



"Yeah, like do you like him?"



"What? No, why would you think that?" I said a little too slowly. I was only thinking.



"Usually the guys aren't so..." I said stopping, searching for a word.



"Mysterious?" Ashton says finishing my sentence.



"Well, I was thinking more along the lines of eccentric." I corrected.



"Same-difference," He laughed.



"I guess, whatever that means," I smiled.



"I have a question," Ashton stated bluntly, "Is your hair naturally white?"



"No, it's blond. I dyed it white. Makes me different." I smiled.



"It's cool," He said.



"Thanks."



"Your eyes are real, right?" He asked.



"Of course," I answered laughing.



********



English was my favorite class. If I didn't know any better, I'd say it was Derek's too. I waltzed into the classroom and plopped down into the seat next to Derek.



"Hey," I said turning towards him. He looked up from his books and smiled, ackonowledging my presence.



"Whatcha reading?" I asked. He lifted his book and showed me the cover. I didn't bother reading the title seeing as how I could care less. I was just trying to get him to say something.



"Cool," I said simply. "What's up?" Derek shrugged his shoulders not even taking his eyes off the book in front of him.



"What gives?" I asked.



"What do you mean?" He said finally speaking. I swear I would have gone crazy if he would have stayed silent.



"Why are you like that?" I asked.



"Like what?" He looked up meeting my eyes, slightly amused. FINALLY!



"Quiet. You don't speak." I stated.



"I'm speaking now," He smiled.



"Name one thing you have said to me besides your name. And don't pick anything from this conversation." He stayed silent, telling me that I was right.



"There's a reason for everything, Luna." He said, his attention turning back to his book.

© Copyright 2011 lovelywriter (awriterslife at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1757949-A-man-of-few-word