*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1753253-Circle-of-Sisters
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Drama · #1753253
This is a desperate act trying to right past wrongs.
         The gun’s cold metal pressed firmly into my flesh as I ran across the street with my heart pounding inside my chest.  My breath came out in little white puffs as I kept repeating to myself ‘this is the only way.’  I knew in some small corner of my mind that I had finally reached the point of insanity and if I crossed that fine line I could never come back.  But in my heart I knew this was the only way to stop the pain, to stop Kylie’s face from appearing in my nightmares night after night.  My legs pumped faster and faster as the small house loomed closer in front of me. 

         Time crawled before I reached the house as I stepped up to the pathway leading to the door I slowed my pace trying to think of how to get in.  I crept closer and closer on the wall, feeling my way through the darkness until finally I reached the door.  I placed my numb hand on the cold doorknob and with t he slightest touch it flew open.  From within I heard quiet sobs that sounded vaguely familiar.  My heart jumped into my throat, no one else is supposed to be here.  I stepped through the doorway anger quickly replacing my fear.  I saw a small figure leaning over a body lying limp on the floor.  Who could have beaten me to my revenge, who could have known what I was up to?  As if hearing my thoughts, my very questions, the figure rose and turned gracefully around to see my face.  As they turned brilliant blue eyes shone at me through the darkness.

         “Jessica no” I yelped in terror for my best friend.  “What have you done?”

         “I couldn’t let this go on anymore Joe, and this was the only way to stop it.”  She replied solemnly.  “I love you like the sister I always wanted.  I couldn’t just stand by and let this pain eat away at you anymore; it had to stop.”  Jessica yelled with such fury and passion my anger subsided and a lump rose in my throat.

         I didn’t know what to say, it all seems so strange to me now when I think back on my tragic life.  My best friend, my only friend in the entire world murdered someone in cold blood to try and save my life.  She killed someone so that I could put my life back together as hers began to fall apart.  I couldn’t stand it anymore, all the pain rushed forward and like a storm it raged inside of me.  It was all too much, the murder of my dear sister, of all my mistakes, and now this.  I fell to the floor in quavering sobs that shook my entire body, hear, and soul. 

         Jessica came running to my side and her gloved hands slipped around me crushing me with a strong embrace.  “Oh Joe, I wish with all my heart I could take away your pain.  I wish I could bring Kylie back, but listen to me Joe; it’s not your fault.  It never was and you have got to put this behind you.  Now stop your sobbing and get off that floor, we have to do something about this mess I’ve made.

         With that statement a horrifying sound filled the air, the sound of approaching sirens; they grew louder as they drew near.  My heart leaped and I jumped to my feet, trying to think of something to do.  All I could think of was Kylie and her smiling face, beaming down on me and an idea dawned on me.  I couldn’t let my troubles ruin Jessica’s life.  Not when she so fearlessly saved mine and made me realize how stupid I was for all those years of self-loathing.

         I heard pounding footsteps and willed my legs to walk over to the body on the floor.  To the woman who started this whole nightmare, the woman who ruined my life and almost ruined Jessica’s, the only person I have left in the world.  I knelt by her and without a moment of hesitation I grabbed Jessica’s discarded gun and held it firmly within my hands.  The dull thud of boots on frozen pavement stopped my heart and I turned to Jessica and whispered, “You saved my life, now I’m going to save yours.”  She looked at me with knowing eyes as tears fell down her cheeks.  I shut my eyes for a moment’s peace and the door flung wide open and out of the cold night stepped a policeman.

         Everything around me turned into a blur and all I can remember is Jessica’s face as they took me away.  Our eyes locked and never strayed until into the night they took me away, away to my new home on death row. 

         I saw on the hard bed consumed in thought as I finished Jessica’s letter and signed with my usual goodbye, ‘Yours Truly, Joe.’

© Copyright 2011 Cassandra (calura21 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1753253-Circle-of-Sisters