*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1744327-Betony
Rated: E · Chapter · Drama · #1744327
Betony and Woad move to their Aunt's house after their parents died...
Chapter 1











Of course, when i pressed the doorbell, i faintly heard a piece of classical music, which abruptly stopped when the door swung opened. "Nice doorbell." I said sarcastically and quirked a small smile inspite of my depressed state.

Auntie stood in the doorway and her eyes widened at my approach. "Oh, Betony!" Auntie ran up to me and hugged-more like squeezed me- and pulled me in and slammed the door behind her. "Woad just got here, too. He's not taking this well at all." She said the last part quietly. I nodded, knowing he wouldn't.

But of course, who would take their parents dying well? I certainly wasn't.

She tightened the grip on my hand and ran me upstairs. Auntie led me into a small room with two beds; one on each side, with a small wooden table in between, there was a desk opposite of the beds and a window seat. Plus a big dresser in one corner. The walls were pink and the rug was white. Ugh.

"Look we got the bed all set up for you! This is your new home, I guess. You'll be sharing it with Ann." Auntie tied to sound enthusiastic. Ann was my uber-preppy cousin who seemed to never get sleepy.

"Okay," I said, hiding my disappointment that i was going to be rooming with Ann. "I'm going to go get my bags in the car."

"Alright," replied Auntie. She pointed her thumb behind her into the hall. "Woad, Jack, and Blake are going to be staying in the room next door. Jack volunteered to give you a full tour of the house, he sure seems fond of you." She cracked a lopsided smile. Woad was my younger brother by a one and a half years and Blake was my other cousin who was twins with Ann which were both around my age.

I inwardly groan. Jack was not my cousin, I'm not really sure what his relationship was with his family, but he's friends with Blake and basically lives with them. He even has a bed in Blake's room. I had met Jack Ann's fifteenth birthday party at The Bar (which, is ironically not a bar and the hot spot here in New Jersey) and did nothing but hit on me.

"Sure." I said and pushed past Auntie to get my bags.

When I opened the trunk and lifted out a few bags, I spotted Blake walking up the driveway. He avoided my eyes awkwardly "A little help?" I strained as i handed over the heaviest bag in the car. He was pretty buff. I noticed his shorts and sleeveless shirt and asked "Some jogging to keep the mind fresh?"

"Yup." Blake said. With his free hand he ruffled his semi-sweaty blonde shaggy hair, then opened the door for me. He followed me up to my room where he greeted Auntie on the way. He dropped the bag on the bed that must've been mine. "What do you even have in there?"

"What? Can't handle it?" His blue eyes were amused and I sighed. "My makeup and bathroom stuff. You, know. Girl stuff."

"All of it? My god, how can you take it?" I shrugged. He thought for a minute. “How are you, Betony?” He asked uncomfortably this time.

I ignored the latter. "Oh, just go, girl stuff I gotta do." He left a bit too enthusiastically.

I started unpacking, putting my clothes in the empty drawers in the dresser and putting my makeup bag and bathroom stuff in the corner of the bathroom.

I glanced at myself in the mirror. I looked normal besides my bloodshot eyes and circles under my eyes that I reminded to fix with some concealer later on. I ran a hand through my almost-black, thick, straight hair. My skin was tan and my eyes were a dark brown. I looked almost exotic which i got from my mom who was half Italian and Indian and beautiful. My dad was the all American guy, blond hair and blue eyes, brother of Auntie. Woad looks a lot like my dad.

My body was slim and curvy, i had an original taste of fashion, hence my multi-colored jeans and lacy black shirt-dress that didn’t match at all but still somehow looked really good on me.

I heard the door open of the room and knew it was Ann so I left the bathroom to meet her. "Betony, you here!" She cooed, and like her mother, she ran up and squeezed me. But unlike her mom she said, “Betony, I’m so so so sorry! For everything. But, trust me. You’re gonna love it here!”

I stood there, surprised. Most people been acting really awkward around me, never bringing up my parents. I quickly recovered, suddenly bitter. “I’m sure.” I said sarcastically so she couldn’t tell.

“Do you need any help unpacking?” She released me and eyed the rest of my bags. “Do you like your bed comforter? The color, I mean? Are you nervous for school?” I shortly laughed.

“I’m fine. I’m just gonna do some exploring.” I left and Ann called out “Okay!”

I passed Jack’s, Blake’s, and Woad’s room and opened a door. Although they were close (enough) family, I’ve never been to their house. Normally, on holidays and things, they came to Woad’s and my house in Pennsylvania.

Jack tore his eyes off a computer screen he and Woad were intently watching and jumped at my arrival. “Betony!” He practically skipped to me, and god help me, he took my hand and hugged me. I stood frozen for a minute and patted Jack’s back.

“Ok, Ok.” Jack moved around my hips. “Okay!” I finally pushed him off me. Jack chuckled and Woad yelled “Get a room!”

“I’m so glad you’re coming to stay with us.” Jack had clear blue eyes, pale skin, and black hair. With his muscled body, and English heritage he was pretty cute.

“Last time I checked, you’re not part of this family.” I crossed my arms over my chest and Jack made an exaggerated pout.

Woad finally got up from his seat and came to hug me. “Hey, now. Don’t be rude.” He cracked a smile, and I hugged him back.

“So what are you two doing, anyway?” Woad sat back down and fixed his eyes back on the computer screen.

“Call of Duty.” He said automatically. I sighed. Jack noticed me and offered. “So, you up for that house tour?”

“Uhhhh….” I scratched my head but noticed his pleading look and groaned. “Fine.”

As Jack and I left what I will call ‘the office’, Woad called “Keep it PG, you two!” and I laughed.

Jack smiled and walked back down the hall towards my room. He gestured inside. “This is your, obviously, bedroom.” Ann looked up from where she was reading a teen vogue magazine on her bed.

“Oh, are you really going to bother, Jack?” Ann was annoyed for my sake.

“She likes it.” Jack said in a faux seductive voiec and winked. I giggled (I couldn’t help it) and Ann, suprising me, threw her magazine at Jacks head, but he dodged. I guess years of living with your brother’s best friend could do that to you. “And this is your bitch of a roommate, Ann.” He said before leading me out.

Next, he knocked on the door next to my bedroom, before opening it for me. Inside was Blake lifting some weights, Blake got up though, to give Jack some guy-greeting that all men did, he smiled at me. “Giving her the grand tour?” he asked Jack.

“Yes.” I answered for him, shooting him a joking tortured look.

“Well, this is the guy’s room.” He started walking back down the hall and I followed him. “You know I work out a bit, too.”

We entered the next room. Which was the bathroom. I stepped inside, fascinated how it seemed so calm. I laughed out loud at my absurdity. “What are these buttons on top of the toilet?” I asked Jack.

“Only the finest for the Jones household. Toilet from Europe. You see, Betony, the big button is for flushing poo, and the smaller one for pee.” Jack explained the end in a (pretty good) English accent which made me crackup hysterically. “No, but really, Betony, I do work out.” It was then that he pushed his left sleeve up and did some flexes that made his muscles bulge.

My eyes were still fixed on the toilet. “This is so cool!” I was easily impressed by a lot of things, apparently.

Jack was flabbergasted. “Okay, so your impressed by the toilet, but not-not this?” He gestured at the muscle spastically, but couldn’t keep a straight face and we both broke out into giggles, then hysterical laughter, which ended with me on the floor wiping tears off my cheek. “Okay, Okay. Alright I’m good.” Jack cooled off by splashing some of the sink water on his face.

We left the bathroom and went downstairs, still smiling. We entered the kitchen that was so pretty but looked like it belonged by the beach. All sandy colors, with a small island, and a dining room off to the side. We left for Auntie’s room.

“And this is Honey’s room-but we can’t go in.” Jack said abruptly. Honey is what Jack called Auntie. It was strange that we all called her something and her real name is Jan.

“Oh…why?” I wondered. Jack shrugged in response and I let it go. Jack showed me other minor parts of the house, most things imported from France or Italy, and in the study there was a library. I loved to read and was super happy. Jack left me in the library to go back to play Call Of Duty.

I browse for a book and notice one that has my name on the binding. Betony. Surely, it meant the flower. I sat down in a comfy plaid chair in the corner and opened the first page and started reading.

© Copyright 2011 Mrs.Somerhalder (bazabite at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1744327-Betony