*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1740570-A-Not-So-Hidden-Gift-Prologue
Rated: 18+ · Fiction · Other · #1740570
The secret that led to success
(Prologue)



Boston, Massachusetts



2002



"Wow, Caleb can you believe after all of your hard work of writing it has finally paid off", Caleb's wife Jenny said to him as she put her hands on his shoulders and slowly leaned in to kiss him on his cheek then raising her head in amazement to gaze at the many people who were in line for her husband's book signing.



Caleb couldn't believe it himself, It made him so happy that it was happening. Thinking back to all the times of keeping his true talents hidden from his parents and seeming like he wasn't that bright of a kid because he was afraid of what people might think seemed to fade away.



He began to flashback on the day when he first had the idea to write this now published story. He was in his room sitting on the floor reading a book. Not many knew this either but Caleb loved to read books and study them, He always loved how when he read a book he could imagine what





the character's would look like.



His imagination was big. It sometimes surprised him at the idea's that would pop in his head. He decided that he wanted to see how far his imagination could get him so he went and grabbed a notebook and began writing.



The storyline he had in mind seemed simple, sort of a "Boy meets Girl" type thing, Yes there would be some drama. He always knew that's what he liked in the stories he read the drama, the twist, and the perfect endings or the ones that left you wanting more.



He then began to ponder on what his character creation should be, He thought about what he wanted them to wear, how tall they would be, etc. He continued on by coming up with their names. He liked the name Gavin for his main character and for the love interest he thought the name Penny would be suitable.



Now that he had it all planned out he started writing

He began to create his setting....

" It was a cold dreary day in Gavin's apartment he had been dealing with the problems of his landlord who just wouldn't get off his back about paying his monthly rent. He recalled





calmly explaining to the landlord that he wasn't going to be able to make this month's pay because his job had cut



his hours and he was putting in applications elsewhere in hopes of finding something better.



His landlord must not have even given his request the slightest thought seeing as how he was still badgering him for the money but he didn't let that get him down. Thing's seemed to be going well, besides work, he was spending most hours of the day looking through the classified section of the morning newspaper.



He used a marker to circle something he found to be promising. It was always the same, he would put in an application about a week or two later they would call to setup an interview which he would prepare for. When the interview was over they would respond with "we will give you a call" and they never would call. Still even after the what he called "rejections" he didn't give up.

© Copyright 2011 Joshua Jenkins (unclejoshua at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1740570-A-Not-So-Hidden-Gift-Prologue