*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1727686-Coven-Wolf
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Horror/Scary · #1727686
Could it be a werewolf?
Coven Werewolf


“Jack.”
“Jack..?”
“Hmm? I can hear you. What is it?”
“We have arrived at Coven. Time to get off.”
“Thanks much,” I said. Handing the gentleman a few coin before departing the wagon. I must have dozed off for a while. It is a day trip from Ivalice to Coven. I remember watching deer run through the fields as we rolled through the valley. I used to be a great hunter. I was known all throughout this country for it. I had a weird addiction to it actually. The bigger and more terrifying are the most fun. People used to call me crazy; I just refer to it as mere enjoyment.
“Hey Jack! How are you? Come over here.” It was Vincent. He was a very good friend of mine, when I lived in the village. He ran the place when I left.
“Hey Vincent. How have you been old friend?”
“Not so good Jack. That’s why I called you here. We have been having people come up missing. Women, children, a lot of our guards as well. We want to protect the village and keep post, but people are becoming scared. No one wants to defend it anymore. They say its suicide.”
“Do you have any idea what is doing all this? This is terrible.”
“We don’t really know. Whatever it is its pretty big. It took down five of our men at one time at the northern front, but for some reason stopped there. It ate the men to where they were barely recognizable. You’ve hunted all over this country, I was hoping you could tell me what have done this, and maybe help us kill it.”
“It sounds like it has to be a bear. What else could have the ferocity to kill and eat five men? Maybe, a pack of wolves, but I’m sure they could have fended these off. It doesn’t seem to make any sense. I will go to the north front and check out for clues there.”
“Alright, be safe.”
We departed from one another. I strolled off towards the front end. I came upon a smell of something dead; I could see some blood, which had soaked into the dirt. I walked around searching the area for anything. After a while I stopped, pulled out my pipe and filled it with some of that tobacco I bought back in Ivalice. I began to think as I pulled out a match and lit the pipe. I then started to stroll away from the village. I don’t know why, I just wanted to walk. It was already late, and the moon was shining brightly. I never took the time to look up at the moon anymore. It was a remarkable sight indeed. A full moon lit the earth almost as though the sun was out. I heard talking, sounded distant. It must have been some guards sent to watch the front end for the night. It was then I turned to the sound of movement.
“Hmm, who is out here?” I asked aloud. No response came.
“Just so ya’ know, I’m not one to trifle with. So if you’re trying to give me a scare I’d suggest going elsewhe...” In a flash, not five foot from me, one of the most amazing creatures stood before me. It was a wolf, but it stood as though it was a man. It looked straight at me, as though its glare pierced my very soul. Being a hunter of every game in the lands, and yet I had never seen something so grand. Shockingly quick, the creature shot towards me knocking me off my feet. As it stood over me it spoke,
“You, you stand before a creature that could rip every limb from your body, but you do not quake in fear. Every victim, either coward or hero has trembled at the very sight of me. Yet you stood there, as though you admire me.” It grasped my neck and raised me up.
“You… speak..? Is what I behold reality?” I said
“What you behold is a curse. I actually have an idea. What say I was to turn you in to what I am? Would you enjoy immortality? Though, you would slay every living, moving thing around you. Even the ones you love.”
“I have no one to love. Once, I loved a woman, but that is no more. Why don’t you kill me? Why do you spare me?”
“You will know why when the time comes. Now just close your eyes, or leave them open, it really doesn’t matter. This will be done, and you have no choice in the matter now.”
I just closed my eyes. I really did feel fear. I was about to be turned into a werewolf. To slaughter all I see. What am I doing? I awoke to be lying in a bed. The first person I saw was Vincent. He immediately sat up and came over to me.
He said, “What happened to you last night? We found laying about a hundred yards from the village. You were attacked severely by some animal. It’s a wonder you’re still alive. I told you something was out there and that people were being killed. Why would you wander off like that?”
“I’m sorry,” I said. What I assumed to be a dream was real. What if I really do turn into a werewolf? I really didn’t want this. It was yet again another full moon tonight. I just closed my eyes, the horror to bad to think about. I fell asleep. I awoke later I had no idea of the time. I seemed to be still me. Maybe it won’t happen. I sat up. I examined myself, but yet I didn’t see any significant damage, just a few scrapes and bruises. I got up and walked outside. When I looked up I just couldn’t move. I began to shake and a shivery feeling shot throughout my body. It was a full moon. Every bone in my body began to ache as if broken. I fell to the ground screaming. I heard dogs begin to bark. The pain was far beyond explanation. My body began to shift, growing hair wildly. I tried to fight the change.
“Please be a dream,” I thought to myself. I heard people yelling, “Run, get everyone out!” I could no longer feel any pain, all I could smell was this irresistible sweet smell coming from the people, all around me. I could refrain no longer and burst into a fury. What I was doing was malevolent. I was shredding people and tearing into them as if I had no compassion for human life. I could see it all as it was happening but could do nothing. The thirst for death was too powerful. Before long there was no one in sight. I turned and sprinted, leaped and landed on top of a house observing the village. Why could I not stop this monster inside me? How could I think, but not be able to control? I then saw Vincent.
“No!” I tried to tell the monster inside me. I felt the monster want to stalk and attack him. Vincent saw me and started to run. The beast went after him. I was gaining on him quickly and the look of utter terror on his face began to excite me.
“Why am I thinking like this? He is my best friend, and I am about to viciously kill him.” The fact that I was beginning to like it dismayed me. He was about ten yards in front of me when I leaped and tore his leg from underneath him. He screamed and fell to the ground hard. I got my bearing and leaped on top of him. Vincent scream, “Jack! No! I know you’re in there! Just stop!” I couldn’t stop what was in me. I grabbed him by his throat and lifted him into the air. I bit him savagely on the shoulder and threw him about five feet from me. I could remember no more, just the feeling of running through fields.
© Copyright 2010 kdpowers (kdpowers at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1727686-Coven-Wolf