*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1722532-Spicey-Jambalaya
by BiilyC
Rated: E · Short Story · Romance/Love · #1722532
A young couple go on a first date
Spicy Jambalaya

By Billy L Campbell
         



              The young couple approaches the small table just for two.  Joe is a gentleman.  He holds the chair for the young beautiful woman.  She primps her hair needlessly.  Every strain is in perfect order.  They met outside the restaurant on a blind date setup by her friends at work.  The smile on his face lets her know he is pleased with what he sees sitting across from him. 

         “I’m Joe Costello.  I’m glad you showed up.  I heard this is a really nice place to eat.  I hope you like it.”  He is afraid to say too much.  He hopes his nervousness does not show. 

         She examines Joe’s face.  She compares her view with the hype from her girlfriends.  “I heard the food is good.  I wanted to come and see for myself.” 

         These awkward moments are always difficult at the beginning of a first date.  Joe wrings his hand and he is just about to fidget with the watch on his wrist but he stops.  He made that mistake on a previous date.  That date ended before it got started.  He is not ready to look her in the eyes so he looks to his left.  There he sees an elderly couple.  He did not notice them before. 

         “Honey, thank you for 37 wonderful years, let’s do 50 more.”  The old man clicks his glass with the woman sitting next to him. 

         She reaches over and strokes his face tenderly.  “It seems like only yesterday we met at this restaurant.”  He kisses her palm.  The love is gleaming in both their eyes. 

         Joe turns back to Melinda and she is watching the couple also.  Their show of affection is slightly embarrassing him.  Since his date’s eyes are glued to the same scene he feels safe to look again. 

         The elderly couple is enjoying anniversary cake and the man wipes some stray icing from her cheek.  “Honey you always look out for me.  After three children and seven grandchildren, you still make sure I look good.” 

         It is Melinda’s turn to look away.  Her face is beginning to blush from the comments at the other table.  Melinda would never voice her prayerful thoughts and here this woman announced Melinda’s secret desire to the world.  She imagines how nice it would be to have children of her own. 

         Joe thinks the gray heads look very stately as the old man leans forward to kiss his wife on her forehead.  They seem totally oblivious to any voyeurs in their presence.  The hands instinctively reach to hold their partner in a loving manner.  The moment seems extremely private but they do not give the other patrons a second thought.  The young couple spin their heads simultaneously back to each other.  No words come to mind to express what they are watching so they glance again.  They are viewing a living example of love. 

         “How is your Jambalaya tonight?”

         “It is a dish like you, hot and spicy, just like I like it.”  The elderly man leans over to take another mouth full. 

         “We come here every year to enjoy the same meal and I never get tired.  I think I’ll give you another fifty years.”  The young couple looks toward the waiter who has just come back to the table.  Joe thinks to ask for another table.  Before he can mention a word the waiter declares. 

         “I sure am glad you didn’t mind taking the seat this close to the mirror.  I’ll be glad to take your order now.  I’m Charles and our special today is poached Salmon.”  The waiter waits for their response.  They both look back towards the elderly couple but all they see is their own reflections in the mirror.  A stunned appearance dons both faces.  Their heads rotate from the mirror to the waiter and back again to each other.  The waiter responds to the situation.  “Is there something wrong?” 

         “No, I don’t think so.  I think we’ll pass on the Salmon.  I would like to order the Jambalaya if you please.”  Joe clears his throat as he speaks. 

         “Oh that is a new dish the chef just started this week.  I had some last night and it is delicious.  I’m sure you will like it.  It is a little spicy.  Will you have the same thing madam?”  He scribbles a few notes on his pad. 

         Melinda looks directly at Joe while she answers the waiter.  “I’ll have the spicy Jambalaya too, at least for 37 years.” 

         “I’m going for fifty,” says Joe as he reaches for Melinda’s hand. 

© Copyright 2010 BiilyC (fullofjoy at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1722532-Spicey-Jambalaya