*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1721550-Halloween-Memories
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Other · Holiday · #1721550
In this essay, I am simply reminiscing about the joys of Halloween from when I was young.
          Ah, the joys of Halloween as a child. We forget as we get older how much fun it was to put on our costumes which we had been tempted to put on since the day we received them. Now, Halloween is a party, where everyone wears goofy costumes, which is held on Halloween, with maybe a haunted house or two thrown in throughout the month. Sometimes I wish I could go back to the time when Halloween was all about dressing up in costumes that I found to be just about the coolest things ever, whether I was a super hero, a rock star, an army man, a cartoon character, or an animal, it all depended on what I was interested in at that time. On Halloween night, my parents would take me trick-or-treating around the neighborhood, stopping at every door, and waiting with great anticipation to yell those wonderful words, "Trick-or-treat!"
         As I got older my costumes changed, pretty soon, I was a video game character or a movie character, rather than the animals I dressed up as in my first few years. Later in life, I decided I liked to make people laugh, so I wore funny costumes. In my last few years of trick-or-treating, I jumped between funny and mildly scary costumes, being a fat plumber one year and a zombie, risen from the dead the next.
         The first year that it was decided I was too old for trick-or-treating was a little boring, but I got used to the idea and started joining loud, rambunctious Halloween parties, I couldn't drink yet, but the other party-goers didn't drink either so there was no alcohol. Of course when I was old enough there was, when I was older there were some inappropriate costumes too, many of which were funny.
         As I look back, I realize you're never too old to stop trick-or-treating, once you hit adulthood, you chaperone the younger kids of the neighborhood along their route, although collecting no candy, you have fun just watching the kids do the exact things you did at that age while trick-or-treating, sometimes, when I do this, a wave of nostalgia hits me and I can't help but maintain a pensive look on my face while I remember the fun I had trick-or-treating at that young, innocent age.
© Copyright 2010 gage man34 (gageman34 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1721550-Halloween-Memories