*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1716211-Faerie-Interesting
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Other · Fantasy · #1716211
Review, criticisms, and pointing out of mistakeswelcomed. Title suggestions too. Enjoy ^^
         The rain falling down from the unforgiving heavens was like needles I could practically feel them slicing into my skin as I ran. Run, just keep running don't look back, you have to make it.  The clock tolled , one, two, keep running you're almost there,....three, four, c'mon just a few more yards,........five six.......dammit, my foot slipped and I went crashing down into a puddle scraping my knees, I wish I'd worn pants.......seven eight....pick myself up and keep going.......nine, ten.....almost there, my I reached for the handle but the door sprung open and I fell in, eleven, twelve.........the door slammed shut behind me.
         “You're late” declared an angry voice behind me.
         I looked up, my eyes locked with his glaring ones.
         “You try getting here while it's raining while wearing a stupid skirt!”I snapped ignoring his glaring green eyes and picked myself up. “Where's the spare clothes?”
         He jerked his head towards the small door at the back of the room, I got up and headed for the small closet at the back and scrounged through it.  Dress, dress, dress, I hate his sister with a burning passion for not having – ah! T-shirt and a pair of sweat pants.  I no longer hate his sister.
         I stepped into the closet and quickly changed into the clothes, the t-shirt was a little on the snug side but the pants fit just fine.  I walked out of the closet folding the clothes carefully and nearly bumped into him.
         “Oh would you calm down Raide!” I finally snapped going to sit on the loveseat tucked into a corner.  Raide took a seat next to me.
         “I called you here because I am in need of your services” Raide said annoyed, fingers twitching on the armrest. “Believe me I am about as happy as you are about the arrangements.”
         “Would you just calm yourself” I repeated closing my eyes and sighing.  “The only reason I ran over here was because you sounded hysterical, now please explain what you want.”
         “Andrea” he addressed me looking into my eyes. “Someone has taken a very prized possession of mine and I would like for you to get it back.”
         He was far to serious and formal for a boy of fifteen years, though some have said that I don't act like a fifteen year old girl myself so I'm not in a position to judge.
         “And that object would be?” I asked raising a critical eyebrow and leaned back, making ,myself look relaxed and inviting.
         “Confidential and I expect you to treat it as such.” he said gravely, twitching fingers turned into wringing hands, nervous.
         “You have my word” I told him seriously.  “Though we are only fifteen I'll sign something if you are so inclined.” 
         He wasn't the only one who could speak formally.  I found formal speech useful, particularly when dealings amongst those of my own age, they try to sound intelligent and intimidating through what they believe to be eloquent speech.  Though Raide wasn't putting on a show he was surely defensive.
         “You are a Fay” He stated and raised a hand to cut off my protests. “I'm of inhuman nature myself, what humans ignorantly call a sprite.”
         Ah, a Sprite, that would surely explain his ill temper, and how he new of my origins.
         “What was stolen from me was a pendant, made of granite with Fay carvings, it's a family heirloom passed down from generation to generation.” He explained. “It was stolen by a human, a girl for whatever reason, I truly don't care I just want it back.”
         “And you cannot take it yourself because?” I asked studying him, my arch rival Raide De Luca, the 3rd generation Italian with olive skin, short stylishly messy black hair, and piercingly evergreen eyes had the girls swooning over him.  I had no doubt why the girl had stolen his pendant, either she was a scorned suitor or she was pining after him. The thought brought a smile to my face.  All these girls pine after the good looking foreigner yet they have no idea as to his true nature, and I'm not speaking of his Fay blood.
         “It's...complicated.” He said evasively avoiding my eyes.
         “I think I can keep up, I need to know everything if I am to help you De Luca.” I replied resisting the urge to roll my eyes at the “it's complicated” excuse. I had expected better from him.
         He sighed ruefully and ran his fingers through his hair. “The pendant, it is more than just a trinket or family heirloom,  it was a powerful talisman.  It keeps Fay power in check, amplifies, stores, and can, if the user is knowledgeable enough, can steal or sap power from other Fay.  But in the hands of a human, it will slowly drain their life force, the girl has maybe six months.  She will slowly grow weaker and weaker until.......she dies.”
         I gaped at him, hoping this was some sort of dark, sadistic joke meant to rattle me.  I hoped in vain.
         “You lost” I began, only barely managing to control my anger “an ancient and powerful artifact that could be deadly for this girl and you cannot get it yourself?” my voice rose at the end.
         “It's not as simple as yanking it off her neck.” he snapped, his eyes two pools of green fire.  “Once the talisman is in human possession, a Fay can only get it if the talisman is returned willingly.  Humans can steal is from us, as can other Fay, but when in human possession it is quite literally tied to their life force and only the human can untangle the bond by deciding to willingly relinquish it.” another rueful sigh.  “And the girl despises me so there is no way she'll hand the talisman over.  Charms and Fay magic will not work to persuade her to hand it over, not that its isn't in my ability” he assured me arrogantly, the bastard; “but it must be completely sincere, and pure willingness for it to work.  If I were to try to forcefully take it from her the talisman would repel me, scorch my skin, and cause me unbearable pain.”
         “Who is this girl that I have to befriend?”  I asked, resigned to having to pick up his mess.
         Apparently this question was funny because he smiled, a smile that no doubt dazzled other girls but only made me want to punch him. “You already are, the girl who stole my Talisman was your best friend, Antoinette Manganella.”
         I stopped breathing, my best friend was dying because this fool couldn't guard his Fay artifacts.  Resisting the urge to strangle him and wipe that devilish smile of his face I forced myself to take a breath.
         “How long?” I choked out, glaring at him. “How long has she had the talisman?”
         “Since last night.” Raide replied, eyebrow raised slightly at my reaction to his news.
         “Is there anything else I need to know Raide.” I asked pissed beyond belief.  'And if you say I don't know I swear to any greater power that's listening you will regret it deeply.  This is my best friend's life you cannot treat this matter as anything but life threatening.”
         “Fair enough.” He replied wiping the smile from his face, looking serious and professional. “The talisman is about this big.” he made a circle with his index and middle finger.  “And if you touch it, or attempt to take it from her you will be repelled, burned and it will leave a mark.”
         “How did she get it?” I asked, and momentarily reflected on the current irony of the situation, a few minutes ago he was the one nervous and snapping while I had been calm and sarcastic.  Oh how the tables have turned.
         “Last night I was with my parents shopping for a new couch,  while wandering around on my own I bumped into her.  We exchanged insults, I threw some offhanded comment about your little trio and she was furious.  We argued and without warning she reached out and snatched the talisman right off my neck.  She spat something about me being an ass and “how I only wish” blah, blah, blah. End of story.” He explained his fingers twitching.
         “You provoked her.” I stated standing up preparing to leave.
         “She over reacted. “ he replied rolling his eyes and leading me to the door.
         'I'm sure” I replied sarcasticly with a venomous smile.  “I'll make sure to return the talisman to your grandfather once I retrieve it.”
         And so I stepped out holding my clothes over my head, and using a quiet magyk to keep the rain from soaking me to the bone as I headed towards my friend.
         
© Copyright 2010 Alexandra Vazquez (nati_84 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1716211-Faerie-Interesting