*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1702389-One-Week-after-the-Beginning-of-the-End
Rated: ASR · Other · Contest Entry · #1702389
A dialogue-only story about the aftermath of an apocalypse, set in a bus station
Greyhound westbound 1621 Penn Station to Chicago now loading. Only ticketed and pre-approved passengers are invited to assemble in boarding area 19B.

"God, I wish I were getting on that bus."

"Yes, well, they're announcing another round of lucky winners in a few minutes or so. Maybe we'll have better fortune then."

"I really want to get home. Or at least headed in that direction. I never thought I'd want to get on a plane as much as I do right now. Not that that's possible any more."

"We all feel the same, sweetheart. Have you heard the latest?"

"Yeah, they think the bombing was done by a Southern Sonoran extremist group. Hard to miss with GNN blaring 24/7 in here. I still think it was the TPPs. Mostly I'm so sick of hearing about how little they know. Other than how many are dead and how the fallout keeps spreading, that is. It's the same thing over and over and over."

"Yes, it's more than a little depressing. Between that, the market crash, and the MIA president, there's really not much good news."

"And that's when the comm channels aren't entirely down."

"I'm not sure I wouldn't rather have them down. There is so little reassuring news. Say, we've been siting here together for three days now, and I still don't know your name."

"True."

"Well, I'm William Owens. You can call me Bill."

In five minutes, Greyhound will be reading the next list of passengers to secure a seat on the westbound bus leaving tomorrow. Please have your tickets available and listen closely for your number. If you hear your number, wait patiently and calmly for further instructions.

"What do they think we are, idiots?"

"Well, there have been riots. Even here."

"Yeah. Right. The world is full of idiots. I just want to get out of here."

"You and everyone else. The whole world is trying to flee westward. The country is going to tip over from the weight shift. Do you remember how it was right after 9/11? Everyone was so...supportive of each other. Patriotic. It was like the whole nation came together."

"Yeah, well this isn't that. And no, I don't remember it anyway. It was before I was born."

"It was lovely. Everyone put up flags. Families came together. Neighbors helped each other."

"Well, if you haven't noticed, the world has gone a long way down since then."

"Unfortunately, this time it seems like people are more intent on their own self interests."

Greyhound is now pleased to announce the next list of passengers for westbound 1621 Penn Station to Chicago leaving tomorrow at 13:30. If you hear your number, please remain seated. The following numbers are cleared for passage...67822, 95611....

"Oh my god, Bill, I'm going home!"


© Copyright 2010 kendall (kendallwest at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1702389-One-Week-after-the-Beginning-of-the-End