*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1697827-A-Cry-for-Peace-Part-2
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Myth
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Action/Adventure · #1697827
One shinobi will come to realize war does not solve problems, but peace could.
Part 3: Live Free or Die

I slowly became aware of my surroundings as I returned to consciousness. I immediately noticed it was cold and damp wherever I was. It was very dark when my eyes had opened fully and I had to blink a few times before I was sure I actually had opened them. My vision eventually adjusted and I saw the world was horizontal. I was lying on my side. I sat up and then the world spun and I doubled over to make it stop. A minute later I sat up again, more slowly this time. I was finally able to take in my surroundings.
I was in a cell which explained why it was dark and damp. The walls were made of chipped and worn-down stones on three sides. The fourth wall was made of solid metal bars and had the cell door set in the middle. I looked down to see I was sitting on a board that was loosely chained to the wall by a chain on each end. I started to stand up when I felt a weight on each wrist. Then I finally noticed the shackles around my wrists and my eyes became wide. Why was I chained to the wall? Where was I? These questions swirled through my confused mind.
After a few minutes of silent thought a noise penetrated the dungeon cell I was in. The noise was two people talking amongst themselves. Soon these voices had forms and then actual bodies that appeared out of the dark corridor. They stopped in from of my cell and looked in at me, seeming to silently mock my dejected looking state. Now I could see they were imperial samurai.
One unlocked the door, stepped inside, and walked to stand in front of me. I looked up at him, hoping for an answer to my questions. The samurai saw my puzzled expression as he unlocked my shackles and replaced them with a new set that tightly restrained my hands and arms. He just shook his head and said nothing. Then he grabbed the short piece of chain hanging between the shackles and led me out of the cell.
The two samurai flanked me as I was led through a dizzying maze of passages. Eventually we came to two massive doors that were embellished with twin dragons on each door. We entered the huge chamber and walked down a detailed carpet to stand in front of a curtained box, similar to the one the daimyo had sat in, which sat on a platform. We stopped about twenty feet from the box and I was shocked at who I saw standing before me only ten feet away; Kyōretsu. He was standing there with a stoic face, but a victorious air hung around him.
My face clearly showed my desperate confusion. I could not understand what was going on. A robed man stood behind Kyōretsu and I realized he was an advisor, one who usually spoke for an important person…like the shogun. My heart dropped to my feet. I was shackled in front of the shogun and Kyōretsu was standing there like he had done nothing wrong. I wanted to cry out and ask what was going on, but I remained silent and waited for someone else to speak instead.
The advisor turned around to face us and Kyōretsu respectfully turned and bowed. I was forced to the floor in an extremely low bow reserved for those who were criminals and were at the mercy of everyone else. Being in such a position was rather unnerving, but I did not resist or question it. I would stay with my new decision to be peaceful. I wished with all my heart I could tell the shogun of my thoughts of peace. Maybe then all the hurt and pain that was caused by war, and I now realized corruption too, would cease.
Everyone in the room seemed to be eyeing and judging me because I felt their piercing stares. Nobody said anything for what felt like an eternity. Then the advisor shifted and I heard the sound of a scroll being taken from something and opened. I heard him take a breath and begin speaking to the small audience of the chamber.
“We will now judge the criminal Tsuyoikaze or the Igā clan who has been charged with the crime of murder. The victim of this murder was the southern daimyo of this region. The criminal was found in the daimyo’s’ personal chamber at his bedside, ready to kill him. Kyōretsu, the witness, bravely battled Tsuyoikaze and managed to slice his arm. However, this did not stop Tsuyoikaze from dragging the daimyo from his bed and stabbing him below the chest, a wound which was meant to give the victim a slower death. Kyōretsu managed to knock the criminal out with the hilt of his sword and went to seek the help of the daimyo’s faithful servants. They contained the criminal and brought him to the palace of the shogun for judgment. We will now discuss the punishment for the criminal.” The advisor read off the scroll and then called everyone to stand next to the shogun’s box except for one samurai who stayed by me.
My body had broken out into a cold sweat at the statements that were read off of the scroll. Almost all of them were false! It sounded like Kyōretsu had framed me for the assassination of the daimyo when it was him who did everything that was read off that scroll. The only true statements were that he had sliced my arm and knocked me out with his sword. I felt angry and betrayed and began to shake a bit before the samurai lightly thrust his foot into my side and I whimpered, ceasing to shake. My side became sore once again as I remembered Kyōretsu had punched me during the fight. My anger subsided as quickly as it came only to be replaced with anxiety.
As the group continued to discuss the punishment I let my mind wander and it went back to my latest realization of what contributed to the pain I has seen and felt so often recently: corruption. It was a truly terrible issue and it changed people beyond recognition. I had seen it in the servants of the slain daimyo and even in my own partner. It was like an endless hunger that infected people and controlled them. The servants were hungry for power and a higher status. They were willing to corrupt everyone around them and use them in their plot. Kyōretsu was hungry for honor and recognition in the clan. He became willing to do whatever it took to achieve his goal, even turn on his own teammate and accuse me when I showed opposition to his ideas and became weak in his eyes.
My thoughts chilled me and it was almost incomprehensible what I had discovered and experienced the past few weeks. So much had happened and it seemed like ages since we had left the village on that cold, misty morning. My revelation that war did nothing but harm people and the land and that peace was better for everyone had changed me beyond comprehension, but it also gave me strength and tranquility. Fear still rushed through my veins, but I felt that I could deal with whatever they chose to do to me.
As I wrapped up my thoughts and prepared myself I heard the group disperse back to their original positions. There was a tense silence in the air, but I sensed a victory as well. I was hoisted to my feet roughly and forced to look at the advisor as he spoke to me directly.
“Your punishment has been decided. You are to be executed for murdering the daimyo. As a last respect, are there any final words you wish to say?” He asked me while his eyes bore into mine, daring me to speak out against him and his conviction. I took a deep breath and responded.
“If it is alright with you and your majesty the shogun I have a few things I would to say before I leave this life.” I said; my voice calm and maybe a bit hopeful. The advisor nodded his consent. I swallowed and began speaking for I did not wish to make anyone here impatient.
“In the past few weeks I have come to a realization about war and corruption. I have experienced these issues and seen how they affect the world around me. War is brutal and only brings suffering to everyone, even the innocent who are not directly involved. Corruption was modeled in the form of the unfortunate daimyo’s servants who plotted to overthrow him but never got the chance to do it themselves. It was also modeled by my best friend who I was very shocked and upset by when he turned on me and came at me with his blade and bloodlust.” Kyōretsu looked like he was going to protest and rebuke me, but the advisor help up his hand to make him be silent and let me continue.
“It changed them, filled them with a never-ending hunger, and controlled them. What I’m trying to give to you is the idea that peace is the way to make this world better, not war because war is awful and it either breeds corruption or stemmed from it. Thank you for allowing me to say these things.” I finished and fell quiet. I lowered my head in acceptance of my fate. Nobody moved or spoke for a few minutes. Then the advisor motioned to one of the samurai and the samurai drew his sword.
Suddenly Kyōretsu turned to the advisor and asked him a question. The advisor seemed to consider it and then nodded his consent. Whatever appeal Kyōretsu had just made, it must have been good. He turned back to the samurai and me and slinked over. He reached back and unsheathed his own katana. The samurai looked at him and then at the advisor. The advisor nodded again and the samurai sheathed his own sword once again. Both of the samurai stepped back several feet. I now knew what Kyōretsu had asked; whether he could do the honor of executing me.
“Nice words you said about me. Too bad they didn’t get the hint.” He said softly, but in a taunting way. There was a smirk on his face. I frowned and regret seemed to glimmer in my eyes along with sadness.
“It’s a shame you couldn’t own up to your mistakes. You’re still my best friend anyways. I’m sorry I couldn’t get through to you.” I whispered in response. Kyōretsu looked at me, shocked, and then bared his teeth at me in rage. Then he stepped forward, grabbed the front of my shirt, and, with one swift thrust, plunged his sword in my chest just below the heart. It was the same wound I had been charged with dealing to the daimyo as the killing blow, but I knew. He was the one who had done it and he would get away with it again. Only, this time the victim was me, his best friend. Tears glistened in my eyes as I opened my mouth.
“Farewell Kyōretsu…may peace come to you…” I whispered, though it came out gargled from the blood welling up in my throat and running out of my mouth to slowly drip on the floor. I closed my mouth and a small smile formed on my lips. Regret still lingered in my eyes and the tears were running freely down my cheeks to mix with the blood. A spark of hope accompanied that regret though.
Kyōretsu pulled his sword out and I wobbled a bit before falling backwards. As I fell my life flashed before my eyes and I hoped everyone would hear my story and my idea. My decent ended and my body crashed into the floor limply. I thought my last goodbyes to all that I loved and cared for and then closed my eyes and let the darkness wash over me and drag me down. I would finally get to realize my idea. I would finally be at peace.


Epilogue

After Tsuyoikaze’s death, word spread quickly around the entire region about the daimyo’s death at what had happened at the shogun’s palace. When the villagers Tsuyoikaze had helped heard of his death and the news that came with it they were shocked. They did not believe that such a kind person would murder someone like that, even if he was a shinobi. They spread this belief and soon many villages had heard the idea of peace that Tsuyoikaze had longed to share and spread with everyone. Soon, representatives appealed to the daimyos and then the shogun for less warfare and more peace. Most daimyos saw this uprising as a rebellion against the shogun’s decision to kill the shinobi who started the ideas. They in turn appealed to the shogun for consent to oppress the villagers. The shogun consented after a time of silence and the daimyos sent samurai to subdue them. The villagers fought back at first but then withdrew when they reminded themselves of the idea that one shinobi had placed in their hearts; the idea of peace.
© Copyright 2010 Myth (mythkitten at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1697827-A-Cry-for-Peace-Part-2