*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1696081-Gwen-and-Hayden-in-The-Dream-Factory
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by G.E.M.
Rated: · Novella · Sci-fi · #1696081
The first part of a sci fi story of Gwen and Hayden enjoy :)
It was a perfectly normal day, Hayden was walking down the street thinking about how he hated the world, and everything in it when something unexpected happened: a girl came falling from the sky he ran a few feet, and caught her, put her down and continued walking. He didn’t expect a thank you, he never got one, though he saved people all the time, they were never grateful, just hateful. No matter what Hayden did he was run out of town. Humans, they’re all the same, stupid, careless, aggravating, and ungrateful. The girl just stood there speechless, still trying to figure out what had just happened.
If Hayden had payed attention he would have realized she was exceptionally beautiful. But, he just continued his way; hands in his pockets, scowling (as usual). With his hair fiery red, and spiky, and his piercing gray blue eyes as cold as ever.
Gwendelynn Faye paced up and down her house repeatedly, thinking the same thing she always thought is it just my imagination, or am I going crazy? Just for a moment something's there, I know it! But then, it's gone. Will history repeat itself? Will my childhood memories come back to haunt me? She tried to remember, but it was all fuzzy, and black she always blocked out bad memories....
She recounted the day’s events; got up, ate breakfast, brushed her teeth, and ran out the door to catch the bus. She rode into town and, a man grabbed her, and put her into his truck. Then everything was a blur, and the next thing she remembered was a cold, cruel laugh and being pushed off a 10 story building. She was sure she was dead, but she opened her eyes to find herself in a boy’s arms. He placed her down, and just walked away. I’m so stupid! Gwen scolded herself. I didn’t even thank him, I don’t even know his name, I just stood there like an idiot! Whatever, chances are I’ll never see him again, she thought. She was still shaking from all the adrenaline released from being pushed from a building. She stopped her pity party, and went to go make some tea. Little did she know it wouldn’t be too long at all until she saw him again.
The rest of the day went on quite dully compared to the morning’s events. She was still strong, she still had natural jet back hair; her pony tail was still perfectly straight and her green, green hair were just as penetrating as ever.
The next day Gwen woke up and thought it was going to be a totally normal day, but of course she was sadly mistaken…
She got ready, and rushed out the door, as usual. She ran to the bus stop, as usual, but there was something unusual; it was nothing. I mean that quite literally there was nothing there, at least no sound, no people, no cars, no bus stop, and no bus. Everything else was there like the sidewalk and the street, just no commotion as she was accustomed to. She stood there for not even a moment and blinked her eyes in surprise. When she opened her eyes there everything was as if it was never gone. Weird… she thought. I must be imagining things, I must be even more tired than I thought… before she could even finish that reasoning she felt a gun pointed at her head. “She is not happy, speak if you want to die,” the voice scraped through her, a chill went down her spine; then she couldn’t take it, everything went black.

Hayden was walking down the street when he saw a girl hit the ground…HARD. He ran over to see a man with a gun going threw her pockets. His Chicago smog gray-blue eyes blazed as red as his hair. Before the poor mugger knew what was happening Hayden grabbed his wrist, thrust him to the ground, and rushed to help the girl. The mugger to this very day can’t figure out what happened, and why he has large burns on his wrists.

Without even looking at her face Hayden lifted her up and rushed her to the hospital. When Gwen came to she saw she was in this mysterious guardian angel’s arms again and yelled “YOU!” her shout startled him so much he nearly dropped her in surprise.
“Are you Ok?” Hayden asked in a tone that implied he really didn’t care.
“Thanks to you!” Gwen gasped. There was a few moments of silence before Gwen whispered “Thank you” Although he pretended not to hear her, he did. He set her down by the hospital and left without another word. Gwen for the second time in her life was speechless. She got up brushing the gravel off herself, and headed to work. She was going to be late for work…again. By the time she had run the 12 blocks to her workplace she was 43 minutes late, and her boss was ticked! Her boss was a compassionless man with a mustache as big as his temper tantrums. He proceeded to scold her like a two year old raving, and ranting on about who knows what, but she wasn’t listening. Deep in thought Gwen realized how exceedingly dull her life was, (up until yesterday of course). Suddenly Gwen turned her boss and said “Shut up!” and walked straight out the door. She hailed a taxi and ordered the cabi to drive her home. As always the cab got caught in rush hour traffic while gazing out the window thinking about what she’d do with her life she saw the same boy who rescued her twice. She screamed “STOP!” which was rather unnecessary since they were not moving. She payed the cabi what was due, and jumped out of the cab. The Taxi driver thought she was crazy, and was glad to be rid of her quite frankly.
Gwen had no idea what she was doing, but she knew one thing she wanted to properly thank him for saving her life twice in the same week.
“Hey you!” she yelled in between pants. Hayden was smirking to himself about how she couldn’t even cross the street without getting out of breath. And yet he also got a feeling of de ja vou; that he’s met her before (not just saving her life 2x), but she had known her forever ago: in another world, but he ignored it. “What’s your name?”
“What’s it to you?” He answered avoiding the question.
“You’ve just saved my life twice I wanted to properly thank you!” Gwen replied smiling. Hayden continued to walk down the street. “Oh you’re not getting away this time!!”
“Watch me” he simply stated. Gwen followed him with annoyance and interest in this strange savior. He turned and corner, and still she did not relent in her pursuit. “Hey kid, just stay away from me, you’ll only get hurt. I’m just a freak.” Barked Hayden sick of his clingy stalker.
“What are you talking about? You’re a hero!” Gwen replied. All of a sudden he stopped turned around, and without a word his hands burst into flames.
“Get it?”
“I don’t care, you’re still a hero!” Gwen answered not intimidated a bit.
“Just go away!” Hayden yelled.
“Fine I will then!” Gwen glowered at him, turned her back on him and stamped away. All of a sudden she froze in fear, and screamed bloody murder.
“Oh what is it now?” Hayden grunted loosing what little was left of his patience.
“It’s a bug! A REALLY big bug!” cried Gwen. Completely uncaring (thinking she was overreacting like a school girl) Hayden shook his head.
“So?” he asked not understanding that she was not exaggerating.
“It’s a REALLY REALLY BIG BUG!!!” she said with fear overflowing into her voice, and her shaky hands. Still thinking nothing of it Hayden turned around and exclaimed,
“OH MY GOSH THAT’S AN EGANTIC BUG!” cried Hayden disgusted such a creature roamed the Earth.
“I told you!” Gwen replied backing into the wall of a brick building.
“WHY ARE WE YELLING???” shouted Hayden.
“Oh… I’m not really sure…” she said slightly embarrassed. All of a sudden the huge “bug” grew at least twenty times its original size to the horror of the watching duo. The bug looked like an egantic beetle at least the size of the empire state building. It shot out its sticky arms and grabbed Hayden. He threw fire balls at the beetle it did nothing but enrage the beast. Then Hayden went limp, Gwen watched in despair as her hero was now becoming prey. He bright green puppy dog eyes transformed into slits and glinted in the sunlight. Suddenly her training of the martial arts came flooding back to her. She scolded herself for being a 2nd degree black belt in Uechi Ryu and watching like a sitting duck. She came in with a flying sidekick, and took out its legs. It screamed, not like a person, but more like a siren, and microphone feedback scratching a chalkboard times a hundred. Flinching only for a moment Gwen came in with more kicks greatly wounding the monstrous beetle. One final strike and the beetle dropped Hayden. With a perfect dive Gwen caught Hayden. Now regaining conciseness Hayden helped. They made quick work of the bug once they teamed up.
By this point Hayden was starting to see Gwen in a whole other light, not some defenseless girl who gets into trouble, and stalks him but a not-so-wimpy girl. He did not show it besides telling her his name. They looked around and saw the city in havoc. People screaming, girls whimpering in corners, and men in the fetal position calling for their mothers. But, nothing was there to cause this. No murderers, no clowns or any other horrible things plaguing the streets. But, even so Hayden was even feeling the effects; a sudden wave of emotion hit him. So cold, so alone, so helpless… The streets reeked of fear.
“What the heck is going on?” Gwen screamed through the chaos.
“I don’t know” said Hayden coldly. “but I’m gonna find out!” He started pacing the streets, and jumping up and down in a most peculiar way. Suddenly he whipped around and said “What’s you greatest fear?”
“Why?” She growled feeling childish.
“Just answer!”
“Well…” Gwen started blushing, “I don’t like… well bugs…”
“And what appeared? A BIG BUG” Hayden spoke with wisdom. “And what can make grown men cry? What will bring children to their knees? Fear. Look around you? Fear us rampaging the city! Everything has come to a halt because of man's fears. It's obvious what's going on, someone's messing with our minds.”
“If that's true, wouldn't it be working on everyone?” Gwen asked.
“I'd assume so...”
“Then what's your fear? Nothing seems to be happening to you...” Gwen stated ½ being nosy, and ½ suspicious of his reasoning.

Hayden's pale face turned red, his blazing eyes turned to ice under his long shaggy hair. He quickly snapped out of it. “Now is not the time, nor the place-ANYWAYS! What's causing this? And how do I stop it?” Now pacing furiously racking his brain for an answer.
A sudden hush fell over the city for a moment, then a voice boomed throughout the land. “Citizens!” it said. “That was just a taste of what my machine can do, if thats setting one-”
Hayden wasn't listening.
“Whatever's doing this would need some kind of transmitter” Hayden confidently said.
“Like a radio station? An abandoned one no one's been in for years?” Gwen asked.
“Yes, exactly, but where would we find a place like that?' Hayden asked with frusteration.

“Like the one right down the street...” Gwen said starting to run down the street, “Come on! Stop looking at me like I have spinach in my teeth and LET'S GO!”
Gwen, and Hayden ran to the old radio station. They found it wide open, and filled with cobwebs. Gwen immediately hopped over the front desk.
“What are you doing?” Hayden asked.
“Looking for a... there we go! Directory/” Gwen replied. “Assuming this is being transmitted as far as possible I'd assume it's here!” Gwen concluded pointing to a spot on the map. Gwen showed Hayden her findings. She explained “It's the biggest room! Let's go! It's in the 3rd basement.” Quickly Gwen and Hayden ran down the hallway to a rickety wooden stairwell. The stairs were not in good shape. Many were saturated to the point of not being usable, or eaten by termites, and unable to bear weight, some were completely missing.

“I'll go first” Hayden shrugged. “I'll see what's safe, and tell you where to step k?” HE began his dissent stumbling with every stair groaning on his way down. Eventually he made it down a flight. “Did you get all that?” Hayden called up.
“I think so” Gwen hollered down as she glided down noiselessly. “Maybe I should go first this time...” Gwen pompously suggested.
“Fine.” he grumbled. They continued going down, and everything was going fine until a board snapped with Gwen on it. Mere moments before Gwen plummeted into who knows what Hayden grabbed her and lifted her back onto the stairs. From there on Hayden led... They made it to the 3rd basement, and nothing was there but an empty hallway leading to nothing the only thing there was a cement floor with a single purple shag carpet in the center of the hall. One small circular spot.
“This makes no sense!” cried Gwen “there HAS to be SOMETHING here” she stated crossing the room, but the moment she stepped on the carpet she found there was something in the hall, a large hole... which she fell down.
“Great, here we go!” hollered Hayden diving into the carpet. Both of them landed with a thud, and a small migraine. After rubbing their temples they looked around and saw a room with a transmission in progress. Looking in the window they saw a wild looking man ranting into a microphone, and a bizarre-looking machine behind him. “Of course!” Hayden whispered “An endofidgigahepa machine! I should have known!”
© Copyright 2010 G.E.M. (perseusiscool at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1696081-Gwen-and-Hayden-in-The-Dream-Factory