*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1691263-Love-on-the-Air-waves
Rated: E · Short Story · Experience · #1691263
We tend to believe in something which is not there and yet live with that hope.
Love on the Air-waves

She had loved being on the ‘Radio’ – playing music, receiving a feedback from listeners and enjoying the fan mail.
Vega had carved a niche for herself. She played a lot of rock music and that set her apart from the herd. Most of her listeners were male – teenagers, students, adults – they related to the music she played.

The Radio Jockey in her realized there had been no message from one regular listener - Harry. The next morning, the first email read, ‘Hi, you made my evening by playing R.E.M. ‘Sorry, couldn’t message you. Was ill. BTW, can we be friends? - Harry.

The mails continued.

Vega enjoyed the mails Harry sent her. They lived in the same city one of the most linear cities of India – at two different extremes. He would faithfully tune in to every single show of hers, write to her the songs which he had enjoyed listening the most. However, she was sure of one thing – they would probably never meet.

Then one day – ‘Hi, guess what? I’m States.’ She was numb. Though they had never met his constant messages which seemed so genuine had stirred enough emotions in her and she was upset at this mail.

Harry maintained a constant communication. He would send her greeting cards on every occasion and never missed Vega’s birthday. It always brought a smile to her face. Months later, - “I miss your sweet voice and your radio shows. BTW, I got married”. Something inside her died – perhaps it was love, perhaps trust in a human being. “When did this happen” was all that she could ask him in the mail? The answer did not matter now.

Vega moved on with her life and so did Harry. The mails continued.

Eight years down the line, Harry was visible on ‘gtalk’. “Are you married yet?” ‘No’ she said. He typed “I always felt people have let you down in life”. ‘Really?, Why’? She asked. “I could sense it in your voice. I’d like to meet you, just once, even if only for five minutes”.
‘If it is meant to be, we will or else we will never’. ……

A few months ago Harry was in the city on a holiday, for one entire month. He told her so on gtalk. He was a Dad now. She was hoping he would ask her to meet up with him – for those five minutes.

When she saw him next on ‘gtalk’ – he was back in the United States.

Zone of Silence
© Copyright 2010 silentrocker (canta at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1691263-Love-on-the-Air-waves