*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1683760-Lipstick-Shirts-and-Rainbows
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Romance/Love · #1683760
Jessica is tired of playing by the rules and is ready to discover who she really is.
Sitting looking out the window watching a bird hoping along the path and then suddenly taking off into flight soaring through the sky. It sounds funny but I actually felt jealous of it, able to go as it pleased; it was its own boss. While here am was stuck in a classroom with a bunch of mentally challenged morons whose idea of a mentally stimulating conversation involved using words which contained more than two syllables. Ok maybe I’m being slightly harsh but I don’t get along with my peers I just don’t fit in with them. It’s the same with my family and not just personality but looks. I’m the third eldest of six children. All my brothers and sister have fair skin and blonde straight hair. While I have dark wavy hair and tan skin, I would think I was adopted if it wasn’t for our eyes. We all have the brightest blue eyes. People always point it to me but it’s especially noticeable when we are all together.



I don’t really have too many friends in school. Ok that’s a lie I don’t have any. Well I had one, his name was Dean but he moved North last year said school wasn’t for him and life was too short and then one day he was gone. We email every now and then but that’s about it. I miss having him here. He could always make me laugh and the day never dragged in so much when he was around. He isn’t like any other guy I’ve ever known. He knows how to be a friend and that’s all I ever wanted him to be.

Anyway I’m still sitting in class and now my attention has went from the bird to the clock. Only a minute to go and I am free for summer. As the bell rings there is a stamped towards the door. I hang back as to avoid being trampled and then quickly make my way to the door down the hallway and out the front door.



Back at home we are all gathered around the table for dinner. The whole family is here. My mam and dad and all six children. My mam made everyone come as today was officially my last day of school it gets treated as a momentous occasion. “Welcome to the real world.” My father announces. That is at least the third time I have heard that since dinner began. “It’ll be off to University soon. Best time of you’re life. You’ll have a ball.” I just nodded. I wasn’t excited at all, I only applied to keep my parents happy. Truth was I didn’t know what I wanted. “Jessica Smyth.” My mam uttered. I hated it when she used my full name. It was as if my parents had deliberately tried to give me that most boring name they could think of between them.



“Is that all you are going to eat?”



“I told you I wasn’t hungry.”



“Maybe you’d like to cook your own food from now on. I’m getting sick of my effort going to waste.”



This was another one of my mothers usually routines that I wasn’t in the mood to listen for so I escaped up to my room at the first opportunity that presented itself. The reality of being stuck at home for an entire summer was starting to hit me and there was only one person I new who would listen to me complain. I signed into my computer and prayed that Dean was online, he was.

Jess756: My parents are actually driving me mad!



Deanthebean:  Hello to you too lol.  What’s new? Haven’t they always?



Jess756: They have reached a new level. Even for them



Deanthebean: Maybe if you weren’t such a push over it wouldn’t be so bad



Jess756: I am not a pushover. I just don’t want an argument



Deanthebean: Pushover!



Jess756: Ok maybe I am a bit of a pushover



Deanthebean: A bit?



Jess756: Don’t push it



Deanthebean: Lol. Moving on



Jess756: Swiftly lol



Deanthebean: How is the love life?



Jess756: When there is one I’ll let you know. Yours?



Deanthebean: I don’t have time for dating at the minute. Men are more hassle than they are worth



Jess756: All the good ones are taken lol



Deanthebean: Tell me about. Anyway when are you coming to visit me?



Jess756: You I my parents won’t let me. They don’t think it’s safe for me to travel alone. Better question when are you coming home?



Deanthebean: First stop letting you’re parents control everything you do. Second, safe to travel? I’m a bus journey away! Thirdly I have told you I am never ever going back there



Jess756: it’s going to be a long time before we can see each other again then isn’t it



Deanthebean: Looks that way.  I got to go here. Places to go, people to see. The freedom of being parent free!



Jess756: Rub it in



Deanthebean is Offline

© Copyright 2010 Elle De La Darling (eledeladarling at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1683760-Lipstick-Shirts-and-Rainbows