*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1679357-Dinner-by-the-Pier
Rated: E · Short Story · Emotional · #1679357
*A spare-of-the-moment thing: (LOL)
Dinner at the Pier



Her hair; curled tight and long, dark and full with a straight curved bang swooped slightly to the right and tucked behind her ear – dark brown skin, freshly manicured nails, and eyes that you could lose yourself in. Growing inpatient, she glanced at her cell phone which read 9:45 pm. She crossed her legs and leaned back in her chair wondering about all the excuses in the world and which one he’d use this time.



“Baby I was under hours this week so they kept me at work…” or maybe, “I was so tired when I got off work that I went home to take a quick nap and overslept.”



The 8:45 dinner with her boyfriend of 3 ½ years had run longer than she’d expected – without him. Dabbing her lips of bread crumbs, she tossed the napkin in her plate and began shuffling through her wallet for her credit card.



“Are you all finished Madame?” The waiter repositioned the towel over his forearm and smiled.

“Yes, Thank you,” she handed him her card and slid her chair away from the table in effort to depart the restaurant.



How ironic that so many couples had chosen this night for a beautiful romantic dinner by the pier. Holding hands across the table, laughs, smiles, stares that read, “I love you.” She glanced down at her bare left hand…



“Here you go Madame,” the waiter returned her credit card.



“Thank You,” she sighed and as always walked strong and confidently towards the exit only to return to her apartment, dress down, and crawl into bed next to her snoring no-show.

© Copyright 2010 K.L.Bougard (bougardkiana at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1679357-Dinner-by-the-Pier