*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1671180-The-Exchange-Student-2
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by jblove
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Romance/Love · #1671180
Charlotte's life turns upside down as an exchange student stays with them for two weeks

Chapter 8          
         I went to Lily for comfort. She gave me a seemingly rehearsed pep talk and a Snickers bar she had smuggled into the party. I chewed sullenly on it for an abnormally long time. Lily sat with me, stroking my hair on occasion and smiling sadly at the rest of the people dancing. I felt bad. I didn’t want her not to have fun just because I wasn’t. I told her I was going to the bathroom. She said she’d go with me. I insisted she stay.
         I watched her head towards Cheries and Landon. I picked up my purse and approached the corridor that would lead me to the bathroom. I had to wait in front of the door for a few minutes; I thought I heard someone crying. I knocked on the door but there was no answer. Finally the door opened and a petite brunette came out, staring at the floor. I asked her if she was okay. She mumbled something inaudibly and walked off.
         I shut and locked the door behind me, and fixed my make up. I stared at myself in the mirror. As my reflection stared back at me, I wondered what life was like when no mirrors existed. One would never really know if they were beautiful or not, and perhaps it didn’t matter that much. Sure, you might catch your reflection in some lake, but one didn’t spend days of their lives comparing themselves with a photo-shopped model in a magazine. There’s something not right about that.
         And there I go again, off at a tangent. Then I thought about Sam, for about the millionth time that night. I tried to figure out exactly what had upset me so much. I mean, now that I thought about it, I hadn’t exactly been willing to kiss Paco but I would’ve. So if Sam hadn’t kissed me, Paco would have. But it wasn’t that. It was that—
         I heard a knock on the door. I quickly put my mascara back in my purse and unlocked the door. “Sorry, I was just—“ I said, as I walked out of the door. Sam was leaning against the further end of the wall.
         “Lily told me you’d be here,” he said, quietly. My face remained expressionless. “Look, Charlotte—”
         “Don’t,” I interrupted him. “I overreacted. I don’t know… I guess I… Uh, I just shouldn’t have expected more from you.”
         He walked towards me and took my empty hand. “No, don’t say that. I want to meet your expectations. Whatever those might be.”
         I half-smiled. “If only I knew.”
         He grinned back at me. “I’m sorry. I was a jerk.” His eyes were smolderingly blue. I sighed heavily.
         “You were, but it’s ok.” I hesitated, and then spoke. “But I also want to say sorry. I know that you’re leaving in 9 days so I don’t really know what I wanted from you.” He nodded but said nothing. Then I flicked my hair back and pepped up. “Let’s just keep this fun!” I let go of his hand. “You like me, “ and then grabbed his shirt, pulling him closer, “I like you.” He grinned. “Let’s just let whatever happens happen.”
         “Wow chica, this is a whole new side of you I had still to discover.” He placed his hands on my hips.
         “Well there are lot of things you don’t know about me,” I purred into his ear.
         “You’re right. Fortunately the night isn’t over yet.” As his hands held tightly onto the back of my dress, he slowly leaned towards me. I close my eyes and felt his wet lips on my cheek. As his lips parted, his hot breath made every inch of my body tingle with excitement.
         And before I knew it, he was gone.

Chapter 9
         As the hour approached 3, I took a cab home with Cameron and Lily, who both lived nearby. I was second to be dropped off. I hugged Cameron good-bye and checked my cell phone for the time. 3:13.
         My parents had left the key under the frog-like sculpture by the window, and I unlocked the door as quietly as possible. I put my coat on the hanger and headed straight for my room. I undressed, hanging my clothes over my chair, and put on my pajamas. I put on my slippers and quickly went to the bathroom to brush my teeth and remove my make up. Ever since that horrible eye infection, I’d been careful not to wait to take it off till the next day. After braiding my hair, I headed back to my room.
         I climbed into my bed and fell quickly and sweetly into slumber. Only moments later it seemed, I heard a faint knock on the door. My body stiffened, careful not to make a sound, listening to make sure I had heard right. I heard it again, that soft knock inaudible to the untrained ear. Luckily for whoever it was, my ear was simply masterful.
         I got up, slipping slowly into my slippers and hoped it wasn’t my mother or father. I opened the door and my wishful thinking had come true. I had not wanted the night to end as it did. He had promised the night wasn’t over. Yet at the party, I wasn’t able to see him anywhere. And before I knew it, it was time to go home. And he wasn’t with me.
         “Sam,” I whispered softly, a cheerful tone to my sleepy statement.
         “Hi,” he said, looking as gorgeous as ever with his hair more tousled than usual. “I’m sorry I woke you.”
         “Nah,” was all I managed to say. I suddenly became very self-conscious, as he stood fully dressed and I stood in my mini-shorts and tank top. But then again, his eyes never left mine.
         “I just wanted to wish you good night.”
My heart sunk. “Oh… thanks,” I said, trying to hide my disappointment. “Good night to you too,” I said sweetly. When he said no more, I started to close the door.
         “Wait, Char.” I opened the door wider again and my eyes urged him to continue. “I just… I just wanted to say that we did that all wrong.”
“Did wha—“ I started, but was interrupted by Sam’s soft lips on mine. As he gently kissed me, our bodies both too intensely excited to move, I felt my heart nearly beat out of my chest.  This felt right; it felt different. The moment, so peaceful and mellow, seemed to stretch on to an exhilarating length. His lips were careful not to overpower mine, and our noses caressed longingly. His lips lingered on mine for an instant longer before finally parting.
“That should have been our first kiss. That’s all.”
© Copyright 2010 jblove (jb2010 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1671180-The-Exchange-Student-2