*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1669564-Young-Characters
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Article · Children's · #1669564
A document for use with writing characters of younger ages and making them believable.
Many people write stories with a diverse or varying age for their characters. However we don't usually accurately describe younger characters. We either go with the good kid or the brat when writing. But there range of how children act is much larger and varies by age. I will cover ages from around 0 to 11.

I am not an expert in this field, but having gone over several public informative articles on behavior of children from psychologists and behaviorists. After which I pieced together an article. I did this because I was more interested in realistic behavior for my characters of various ages. These are all observational. I have made no attempt to censor or idealize what happens at these stages of life.

I also try to keep descriptions short, since there is enough information to fill several large books. These are the averages and norms, and not at all comprehensive. I personally like to see these more as guidelines.

You may notice certain themes present themselves several times, and behavior changes radically year to year. This is normal (however strange it is).

Early Age
Children of these ages are usually side or supporting characters, since in my opinion they usually are not capable enough to be a main character, at least not an interesting one.

Before Age 2:
Children of this age are usually more props than characters. They have limited capacity for movement, and have low understanding. They usually have a fear of strangers, love exploring, and are subject to temper tantrums when they don't get their way.

Age 2:
Usually walks well. Children of this age are self centered, can be easily frustrated. Does not view others as "people". Resistant to change and limited ability to choose between alternatives. Children of this age plays with dolls, refers to themselves by name, and has a short attention span. Most cannot read.

Age 3:
Can run alright and stand on one foot, can put on shoes and stocks, and do up buttons. Conforms and more easy going than 2. More adventuresome, likes music. They like to play in groups of others and to "help" in small ways. They can take turns. They usually know their gender. Can tell simple stories, and wants to understand.

Age 4:
Usually energetic, can skip. Can dress self (cannot tie shoes). Can and will throw balls and similar. Very sure of themselves, usually negative destructive behavior, may be defiant. Highly social and enjoys group games such as tag, duck-duck-goose. Can be very talkative and asks many questions. Highly imaginative. Imaginary friends.

Age 5:
Hops and skips. Can dress without help (including shoes), good balance, may skate, girls are usually more developed than boys. Stable and well-adjusted, still home centered. Likes to follow the rules (finally), and likes responsibility, and to be important. Feels pride in accomplishments. Can read their own name, count to 10, knows colors, beginning to know fact from fiction, thus lying. Interested in environment. Usually in kindergarten.

School Age
These are the ages where things start to get more interesting. Since children are much more capable than in thier early years. You may start to see children as main characters around age 6 or 7.

Age 6:
First grade. Wants to be the best and first, and is very energetic. Cries easily and has difficulty being flexible (sounds similar). Usually still considers fantasy real. Start of learning to respect themselves and learns from their mistakes. Usually knows the alphabet and can read simple sentences with difficulty. Can do simple addition and subtraction.

Age 7:
Second grade. Beginning to reason and concentrate. Usually worry, and are self-critical, lack confidence. They dislike being singled out (even to be praised). They usually start understanding and respecting others, and develops a true sense of responsibility.

Age 8:
Third grade. Children of this age may possess a "Know-it-all" attitude. Capable of taking some responsibility for their actions. Actively seeking praise. May take on more than they can handle. Still very self-critical. Recognizes the needs of others. They usually start to learn to work with others and learns relationships between feelings and behaviors. They are usually learning more advanced mathematics, multiplication and division.

Age 9:
Forth grade. Children of this age are very active. May rebel against authority, and needs to be part of a group. However they usually seek independence as well. Can express wide range of emotion, and can empathize with others. They think independently, but are tied to peer standards (of what is good, bad, and so on). Still self-critical and lacking confidence.

Age 10:
Fifth grade. In contrast to previous year, children tend to be more obedient and good natured at this age. They possess a wide scope of interests, and are increasingly independent.. They tend to be more accepting of others and forms good personal relationships.

Age 11:
Sixth grade. Children are more self assertive at this age, and are very curious. However are moody and easily frustrated. They usually have strange sense of humor and can be very silly. They are restless and talks a great deal. May get into small tussles.

Phew. Well at the end it became harder to find information. Seems not many people are interested in children ages 6 to 12. But there you have it some general guidelines for writing behavior and abilities of children of various ages.
© Copyright 2010 シエス (chasesan at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1669564-Young-Characters