*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1669099-The-Race-For-The-Ruby
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by bella
Rated: E · Fiction · Fantasy · #1669099
Jess Walker goes for a picnic in Delfino.Jess regains her memory and remembers her past.
Prologue

Robbie walked into the meadow. Standing by the rock near the stream was the water spirit, Iris.

Her face looked paler then usual and her cheerful smile had been replaced with a worried frown.

Robbie sighed. Would Iris ever give up?

“Any luck?” he asked.

He knew the answer but hoped that somehow he was wrong. After all, if the princess didn’t remember her past then Delfino and its’ people were doomed.

Iris turned away from the rock reluctantly and sighed.

“No. I’ve given her dreams and visions but she completely ignores them,” Iris said sadly.

“You’ve done everything you could possibly do, Iris.”

“She turns thirteen tomorrow. If she doesn’t remember anything by now, what will she remember by then?”

“She’s just a girl,” Robbie said defensively.

“She’s just a girl on whom the entire population of Delfino depend on. This is all...” Iris stopped abruptly.

She had left her sentence incomplete but Robbie knew what she wanted to say.

“It wasn’t your fault, Iris,” he said softly.

Iris didn’t respond. She turned and walked back to the rock. Robbie rolled his eyes.

“Iris...”he began.

“Wait in the village. Vicky will have to bring her to Delfino if she wants to take her powers.”

Robbie suppressed a shudder at the thought of the princess being harmed.

“What are you going to do now?” he asked with a sigh.

“I’m trying again. I’m going to show her the castle on the night that Vicky attacked.”

“And how will that help?” Robbie asked, raising an eyebrow.

“I’m hoping it will help her remember.”

“Good luck.”

Robbie walked out of the meadow. He had no alternative but to wait for the princess. It was a matter of life or death. He watched the setting sun as it sank lower over the horizon, marking the end of another day.

And possibly the end of Delfino.



Chapter 1-Party

After numerous dreams in this castle. I knew it as well as if it was my own home. But this didn’t feel like a dream. I could easily wake up from my dreams. Despite my best efforts, I was still in the castle. Whatever this was, it felt real and vaguely familiar. I looked around me. I was in the bedroom on the first floor. A few of my dreams took place in this room. Those dreams were pleasant unlike the others. Most of my dreams had monsters in them. The dreams that took place in this room usually involved me standing on the balcony. I always woke up before my dream could go any further. The room was gigantic. An old-fashioned canopy bed sat at the upper left side of the room. The walls, tiles and bedding were matching shades of pink. Across the bed was a dressing table. Next to the dressing table were two doors. I knew that one door led to a massive wardrobe and the other led to the bathroom.

I knew this place so well that for a minute, I thought that maybe I had been here before. It was possible. Vicky and Alan never told me much about my childhood. When I was seven years old, I fell off my bicycle and hit my head. I lost my memory.  All I could remember was waking up in a hospital with two strangers in front of me. The only proof of the accident was the scar on my wrist. Vicky had said that I had cut myself on a piece of glass on the road.  I knew that I shouldn’t doubt her but there were a few things I couldn’t understand:

Why was there only a scar on my wrist? Where was my bicycle? And why didn’t Vicky want me to know anything about my childhood?

My thoughts were interrupted by a yell.

“The castle is under attack!”

I ran to the window. The castle guards were trying unsuccessfully to ward off a group of monsters.

The monsters were seven feet tall and had four heads each. Their features resembled that of a dog but their blood-red eyes were like nothing I’d ever seen before.

No, I had seen those eyes before. But I couldn’t remember where. Like the castle, those eyes were hazily familiar.

My trip down memory lane was interrupted as I realised that the guards were being defeated. I watched in horror as the guards were slowly and brutally killed. I knew that it wouldn’t be long before it was my turn.

I ran out the room and down the stairs. A familiar humming was coming from the dining room. I knew the tune. Vicky hummed it every morning as she made breakfast.

I walked to the dining room. A man and woman sat on the floor. Their hands and feet were bound with rope. A woman stood in front of them. Her back was to me. The man and woman’s eyes widened in horror when they saw me. The woman in front of them spun around. I gasped. She was Vicky. I stumbled backwards into the coffee table and fell. The glass cut deep into my wrist and grazed my cheek. Blood began oozing from the cuts. At the sight of the blood, I lost consciousness.



“Jessica!”

I woke up with a start. I was safe in my bedroom. I sighed in relief.

I ran a hand through my hair before I noticed the sticky red liquid coming out of it.

I examined my wrist. The scar that I had got from my accident was bleeding. I scowled. How on earth did that happen?

“Jessica, are you awake?” Vicky yelled up the stairs.

“Yes,” I yelled back.

I ran to the bathroom and began cleaning myself up. As I worked, I thought about my dream. Ever since the night I had woken up in the hospital, I had been having nightmares. They always were about the castle. They were usually pleasant but as time went on they began to get scarier.

I glanced at my reflection and gasped. There was blood smeared across my cheek. I sighed. I probably hit myself on something during the night. I began cleaning the new wound.

When I had finished I looked at myself. I had hoped that since it was my birthday I would find some perceptible difference but I looked the same. I had a beautiful tan complexion which always won my compliments. I hated my complexion. I had always wanted to be fair like my mother, Vicky. I had brown eyes and black hair. I had supposed that I got them from my dad since Vicky had black eyes and brown hair. I didn’t remember my dad. He had died when I was younger. Vicky had been dating Alan for quite a while now. She and Alan were taking me out for my thirteenth birthday. I cringed at the thought of a whole day with Alan. I took a deep breath and faced my reflection.

“Jessica Walker, you’re going to enjoy your day,” I said out aloud.

I shook my head. I was talking to myself; not a good sign. I turned away from the mirror. I needed to get ready before my reflection started talking back to me.



Vicky was waiting for me downstairs.

“Good morning, Jess. Happy birthday,” she said, flashing a broad smile.

“Thanks,” I said returning the smile.

Apparently Vicky hadn’t noticed that I had piled concealer on my face, in the hopes of hiding my scar. I didn’t want her to know about it. She would make a big deal out of nothing.

Vicky placed a plate of waffles in front of me. I looked up at her.

“I’m not hungry.”

“Jessica Walker, you did not have supper. I expect you to have breakfast or you’ll spend your birthday at home!”

Alan entered just as she finished her sentence. He stopped dead in his tracks.

“Your birthday is today?” he gasped.

“Alan, I reminded you,” Vicky scolded.

“Sorry. Happy birthday Jess.”

“Thanks.”

I picked up my fork and knife and began eating. Vicky smiled triumphantly. Alan smiled at us and started eating.

“Feeling any different, Jess?” Alan asked.

Although we had joked about me changing completely after turning thirteen, I felt like Alan was actually serious.

“Nope. I’m still that twelve-year old girl who hates eating,” I replied with a dramatic sigh.

“You’re thirteen,” Vicky corrected me with a laugh. I finished eating as quickly as I could. I was curious to see where we were going. I got up and left my plate in the sink. Alan followed my example. Vicky never washed the dishes until the end of the day. Strangely today she did. Soon after we left our plates in the sink she began washing the dishes.

“Your present is on the kitchen counter,” she said to me.

I raced to the counter and picked up the blue gift bag. I reached into the box. My hand enclosed around a long rectangular box. I pulled it out and opened it. Inside was a pink and silver charm watch.

“Wow. It’s beautiful. Thanks.”

“No problem.”

I quickly put the charm watch on. The charms were hearts of various sizes. At either end of the watch, a charm with the letter ‘J’ hung.

“Can we go?” I asked excitedly.

“Sure. I just need to help Alan with the bags.”

“Bags?”

Why did we need bags? We were just going out for the day.

“Yes. Didn’t I tell you? We’ll be gone for a while.”

“Oh. You didn’t. It’s okay. I’m just surprised.”

“You can wait outside. The car is open.”

I walked outside, hoping that my unhappiness wasn’t evident. I opened the door of Alan’s rusty old Toyota Corolla. I was pretty sure that the car was older then him. Maybe, it was even older than his grandfather.

After what seemed like an eternity, Vicky and Alan finally finished packing the bags. They got into the car and Alan started the engine. I began to feel slightly queasy. My excitement had quickly turned to fear. I had a terrible feeling about this.



Chapter 2 -Flashbacks

“Where are we off to?” I asked.

Alan glanced at Vicky. She seemed hesitant to answer.

“Delfino,” she replied.

She watched me cautiously. I could feel the blank incomprehension on my face.

“Should I know where that is?” I asked, after a while.

Vicky exhaled shakily and shook her head. Alan snorted in, what I assumed was, disbelief.

“What?” I asked.

“Nothing.”

I was used to Vicky and Alan hiding things from me so I didn’t pester them.

“What are we going to do in ‘Delfino’?”

“Picnic.”

“We might even go do a bit of shopping,” added Vicky.

Alan grunted. I didn’t think that he was too happy about the idea of a shopping trip. Alan guarded his money tighter than a dog guarded a bone.

I murmured in acknowledgement and leaned my head against the window. My sleepless nights were catching up on me.

I sighed again. A small nap wouldn’t hurt. I closed my eyes and fell asleep.



I wasn’t sure if I was dreaming or not. Whatever was happening to me was definitely not reality. I was in the hospital that I had woken up in, after my accident. I knew that this was the hospital because I could see myself on the bed. Vicky stood next to me. She was explaining my accident to me.

The scene switched to the dream I’d had that morning. I watched as I lost consciousness. I had no idea how it was possible that I could watch myself lose consciousness. It was crazy. My intuition flickered. Perhaps I was seeing my childhood?

The lady, who resembled Vicky, laughed. She picked me up and walked outside the castle door. She smiled at a guy resembling Alan.

“What are we doing with the Princess?” he asked her.

“We’re keeping her.”

“We’re raising her?” he asked with a smirk.

“Yes.”

“And Tara?”

“Tara will be taken care of by Fiona.”

I had no idea who Tara or Fiona was but I didn’t have time to think any further. The scene had shifted again.

There was a small girl playing with a dollhouse. She seemed oblivious to the slightly older boy watching her. After a while the girl looked up and saw the boy. She smiled.

“Hello,” said the girl sweetly.

“Hi,” the boy responded.

“Are you a new visitor in the Mansion?”

“Yes.”

“Do you want to play with me?”

The girl held out a toy car to the boy. He took it tentatively.

The dreams continued. They flashed by even more quickly. They all involved the little boy and girl. I was intrigued by the dreams. They were so vivid. The scene shifted again.

Now I was in a meadow. There was a small river with a rock near it. A girl, no older then I sat on the rock. Her skin was pale white and her eyes were blue. She had beautiful brown hair that flowed in stunning curls down to her waist.

“Jess, escape while you can. She won’t leave you!” said the girl.

The scene shifted again. More scenes flashed by even quicker than before. They all showed bits and pieces of my dreams. They appeared and disappeared in a few seconds.

In a single moment everything fell into place. Vicky and Alan’s evasiveness, my dreams and the strange cuts and bruises I had.

I woke up with a gasp. Vicky turned in her seat. I smiled weakly at her.

“I’m fine. It was just another nightmare,” I assured her.

But I was not fine. I had finally regained my memory. I was the Princess of Delfino. And I was in grave danger.

“Jessica, you don’t look okay,” Vicky said suspiciously.

“Nah. I’m cool,” I replied airily.

She looked convinced. I chewed on my lower lip. That was a close one. I was dead if she knew that I knew that truth. Literally dead.

Alan continued driving. I looked around me. I knew that the only way to Delfino was with a portal or a transportation spell.

I could see forests ahead. We were close to a village. My eyesight blurred and everything around me disappeared.



I was in a small room. I could see myself, at four years old, sitting on a plastic chair. The lady from my dream in the morning stood in front of me. Was she my teacher? I didn’t recognise her.

“Jess, you have to learn about Delfino,” she said.

“No. Why?”

“As a Princess it is your responsibility.”

“Then I don’t want to be a Princess, mummy.”

She was my mother!

“The first part of Delfino is the village, Lucknow.”

I awoke with a gasp. Vicky and Alan stood above me. They both looked worried. It was then that I realised I was lying on the floor.

“What happened?” I asked.

“You fainted,” Alan replied.

“Oh.”

I struggled to my feet. Vicky helped me. I could see that she was trying to figure out what was wrong with me.

“Jess, are you okay?”

“Yes. I’m fine.”

“We could go to our hotel if you want,” Alan offered.

I shook my head vigorously. There was no way that I wanted to spend more time than absolutely necessary with them.

“Alright then. We’ll eat and then go shopping,” Vicky said.

“No! I mean, let’s go shopping now.”

I wanted to sneak out and I couldn’t do that if they were near me.

“I don’t know. You don’t look too good,” said Alan.

“I’m fine,” I insisted.

“Alright. Calm down. Alan, get the bags,” Vicky ordered.

“Now?”

Vicky glared at him. He meekly walked back to the car and began unpacking. Vicky turned to me.

“If you want to start shopping so soon, we’ll have to carry the bags with us. Do you mind?”

I smiled angelically. “No.”

“That’s great,” Vicky said, smiling back at me.

Alan walked over to us and handed me my bag. I noticed that he carried both his and Vicky’s bag. Talk about a pack mule.

“Thanks,” I said, slipping the backpack on.

For once, I was grateful that Vicky never bought suitcases. I looked ahead of me. From where I stood, I could make out the outline of a small, shabby village. A wide dirt path ran through the middle of the village. The path had three-sided sheds on either side of it. The sheds were all different sizes but they all contained items. Some had clothes, another food. At the end of the pathway, there were huts clustered in groups. It was like being in another world. A vaguely familiar yet still alien-like world.

Alan led the way with me and Vicky following. We mostly walked in silence although every now and then Alan pointed out various plants. I wasn’t aware that he was interested in plants. Actually I wasn’t aware that he was interested in anything besides Vicky.



Chapter 3-Robbie

Half an hour later, we were in the village. Alan was looking at socks while Vicky was buying fresh cows milk.

They were so busy with their ludicrous purchases that they didn’t realise that I had snuck away. I had no money on me but I did have a plan. I knew that there was a pawnshop in which my old doctor, Stacy, worked part-time in. I walked around until I found it. The pawn shop was made out of proper bricks and glass, unlike the other shops. It stood out in contrast with all the other buildings. I took a deep breath and walked inside. The shop was dimly lit by a single light, hanging from the ceiling. The light swung back and forth. The old lady behind the counter smiled warmly at me. I smiled back.

“Need any help?” the old lady enquired.

I wasn’t sure if this stranger was Dr.Stacy or not. I chewed on my lower lip, debating internally. Should I speak to this stranger or not? My gaze fell on my watch. I had an idea.

“Yes. I would like to sell my watch,” I said politely.

I opened my watch and handed it to the lady. She took it from me and examined it carefully.

“That’s a beautiful watch,” she commented.

She handed me some notes. I shoved them in my pocket without a second glance.

“I can give you R2500 for it. And since you’re new, I’ll give you a little trinket,” said the lady.

She handed me a necklace and book that seemed to have appeared out of nowhere. The necklace was gold with a beautiful emerald in the centre.

“Thanks,” I said to the lady. I looked up at her in surprise as something occurred to me. “How do you know that I’m new here?”

“Delfino is small. New people are easily recognisable,” she explained.

I nodded in acknowledgement and thanked her again for the book and necklace.

I walked out of the store. I wasn’t sure what to do next. I ambled about until I found a bench. I sat down, absently toying with my necklace. My gaze fell on the book. I opened it. The first page had writing in dark, bold black print:



Witches and Wizards are tales people ignore

They’re passed off as just fairytales and folklore

But in Delfino, these kind reside

Dividing into either a good or bad side



I didn’t understand the inscription but I didn’t bother. I had more important things to worry about. I needed to get out of the village. Vicky and Alan would have noticed my disappearance by now.

“Jess? Jess Walker?”

I turned around. A gorgeous guy stood in front of me. He looked to be about sixteen. He was tall and tan. His eyes were hazel brown and his jet black hair was gelled into spikes. He smiled at me.

“Yes?”

“I’m Robbie Lodge. I know your mum.”

Robbie! I kept my expression neutral.

“Right. I remember,” I said, smiling back at him.

Robbie scowled and took a step towards me. He gently touched my cheek. I felt my heart rate pick up. Great. Six years had passed and I still had a crush on him.

“What happened to your cheek?” he asked.

I had forgotten about the strange wound.

“I don’t really know,” I admitted.

“Iris,” he growled under his breath.



My vision blurred. I found myself in the meadow again. I was hiding behind a tree, for some reason. I was watching a girl. I recognised her as the girl from my dreams. She was the same girl I had seen in the meadow earlier on in the day. Suddenly she disappeared. I felt someone tap my shoulder. I spun around.

“Hi, Jessica,” the girl said warmly.

“Um...Hi. How do you know my name?”

The girl giggled. “Oh, everyone knows you and your sister, Cindy. I’m Iris, by the way.”



All too soon my flashback was over. I found myself on a small bed. Robbie stood at the side of the bed.

“Are you alright?” he asked.

“I think so.”

“I am really so sorry about that. Iris tends to overdo thing a little too much.” Robbie smiled to himself before continuing, “What do you remember so far?”

I took a deep breath. I had been hoping he wouldn’t ask me what I remembered but it was inevitable.

“My parents have disappeared. Vicky and Alan are after me. Iris is my best friend. You are supposed to be like my bodyguard or something.”

Robbie grimaced. I bit my lip. I had forgotten that his title as a bodyguard was a private joke between Iris and me.

“Cindy?” Robbie prompted.

“She’s my sister. Vicky has her.”

It amazed me how calmly I spoke. I was close to tears. I bent my head, letting my hair fall over my face. I rubbed my eyes where tears were beginning to fill.

“Everything’s going to be alright, Jess.”

“I know.”

“You don’t sound very convinced.”

“I’m not.”

“We aren’t sure of your parents’ location but Cindy is fine.”

I lifted my head. “Really?” I asked doubtfully.

Robbie smiled and nodded. I jumped down from the bed.

“You’re awake,” said a voice from the doorway.

I turned around. The lady who had sold me the necklace smiled at me. I smiled shyly back at her.

“Robbie, you need to leave the village. I’m sure Vicky and Alan will be looking for Jess.”

“What about you?” he asked.

“I’m not the one they want.”

“Right.”

Robbie gestured for me to follow him. He had my backpack slung over his shoulder.

I followed him to a small room. It was empty. There was another door in the corner. Robbie walked to the door and held it open. It was pitch black on the other side of the door.

“A portal door,” I murmured.

“Right.”

“Where are we going?” I asked.

“We’re going to the Lodge Mansion. Oh, and by the way, happy birthday.”

“Wow, Robbie. Your timing is remarkable,” I said mockingly.

“I know. Now go inside,” he ordered, gesturing to the door.

“I don’t know. It doesn’t look very safe,” I said doubtfully.

Robbie snorted. “Jessica, would I let anything hurt you?” he asked.

It was the first time that he had ever used my full name. I looked at the emptiness. I turned and looked back at Robbie. He sighed. I took a deep breath and walked into the darkness.



Chapter 4 -The Lodge Mansion

In a few seconds, it was over. I just walked through the door and found myself outside the mansion. The mansion was bigger then what I remembered. It was twice the size of our apartment back home. The garden was filled with a variety of beautiful flowers. It was a more lavish and modern version of the village.

“Wow,” I whispered.

Robbie smiled. We walked to the mansion. Robbie opened the door for me. I walked inside.

“Take a seat,” he said.

He pressed an intercom and spoke softly into it. I walked over to the lounge and perched on the edge of one of the leather couches. I heard footsteps approaching.

“What is it, Robbie?” demanded a harsh voice.

“Mr Lodge, come into the lounge,” Robbie said politely.

“This ought to be good,” said a sweet, high-pitched voice.

Robbie walked into the lounge with Mr Lodge and a girl behind him. Their eyes widened in shock when they saw me.

Mr Lodge looked older and more fragile then I remembered. The girl behind him was Iris. I smiled timidly at them. Iris smiled back at me. In a split second, she was standing in front of me.

“It really is you!” she cried, throwing her arms around me.

I frowned. She was just across the room. How did she get to me so fast?

“It’s a skill. You’ll pick it up soon,” she assured me.

“What?” I asked confused.

“I can read your mind. Since I’m your guardian, we have a strong connection,” Iris said.

“You look different,” I said.

“I finally got my powers so I transformed,” she explained.

“That’s great,” I said in a dead tone.

“How do you remember now after so long?” asked Mr Lodge.

I briefly filled him in on my nightmares and the lady in the pawnshop. He laughed.

“That must have been Stacy,” he said.

“Stacy? Doctor Stacy? She looks so old,” I cried.

“She’s always been old. You’ve only just noticed,” Iris replied.

“And the nightmares?” I asked even though I knew the answer.

“They might have been from me,” Iris said with a shrug.

“Might? I haven’t had a peaceful sleep for years!”

“You weren’t listening to me. You’re still as stubborn as before.”

“Right. So you decided to abuse her,” Robbie said

“Get over it,” Iris snapped.

“Do you know where Cindy is?” I asked, trying to break up the fight.

“We’ve got her in hiding. You never know who’s a traitor in Delfino. Vicky has an immense army,” said Iris.

I snorted. Vicky couldn’t be that frightening. I lived with her for six years. I knew what she was capable of. And that wasn’t much.

“If Vicky was so dangerous, she should have killed us at the first chance she got,” I said.

“She’s actually after your powers. If she can kill you when you’ve got your powers then she’ll get your powers.”

“I have powers?”

“Yes. You’re a witch. In a few days, you’ll get your powers,” Iris explained.

“Doesn’t Vicky have her own powers?” I asked with a laugh.

Robbie shook his head soberly. I frowned. How did Vicky plan on killing me if I had powers and she didn’t?

“She breeds monsters. She’s hoping that one of her creations could kill you,” Iris explained.

I nodded calmly. I was too exhausted, after all that had happened, to show any type of emotion.

“I’ll show you to your room since you’re tired,” Iris added.

“Iris, stop doing that. It’s annoying,” I complained.

“Sorry. By the way we’re going shopping tomorrow. You really need some new clothes,” she said, eyeing me in my jeans warily. I rolled my eyes.

Robbie handed my backpack back to me.

“Sweet dreams,” he said with a smile.

“That depends on me,” Iris said proudly.

He glared at her. She stuck her tongue out at him. I smiled. Iris was so childish.

“I’m not,” she cried indignantly.

“Whatever.”

Iris led me upstairs and opened the first door.

My room was painted cream with a pink duvet set. The curtains were a matching pink. Across the bed was a dressing table like the ones you saw in old movies. There was a small table next to the bed. The table held an intercom and a photo of me when I was younger. At the end of the room, next to the window, was a door leading to the balcony.

I was amazed at the size of the room.

“The bathroom is there,” Iris said gesturing to my left.

“What’s that?” I asked, pointing.

In the corner of the room there was another door. It looked plainer then the bathroom door.

“It’s your wardrobe. You can borrow some of those clothes if you want. They’re mine but you’ll be filling it tomorrow,” Iris said.

I nodded, mutely.

“Anyway, good night. Pleasant dreams,” she said with a smile.

She turned and walked out the room. I grabbed the first pyjamas I could find and changed quickly.

It wasn’t long before I fell asleep.

I had expected a peaceful dreamless sleep but I soon found myself in the same meadow as before.

There were 3 crystals in front of me. One was green, one was red and the third crystal had no colour. They all glittered in the sunlight. I stepped towards the crystals but they disappeared. The green crystal was the only crystal that remained. It rose up in the air. I noticed that it had a gold chain attached to it. It looked just like the chain Stacy had given me.

I woke up abruptly. I groaned. Was a decent night of sleep too much to ask for? I dragged myself out of bed and walked to the window. I looked out the window. It was still dark outside. From where I stood I could see what looked like a forest. I made a mental note to ask Iris about it tomorrow. I yawned. I was still so tired

I stomped back to my bed and sat down. I didn’t know how or when but eventually I fell asleep again.
© Copyright 2010 bella (bellashanice at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1669099-The-Race-For-The-Ruby