*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1666520-Just-another-job-
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 18+ · Fiction · Melodrama · #1666520
Women, camera, and a twist. First entry/writing. So be nice ... but honest. ;) Thanks!
If you’re in the mood for rundown buildings, a possible mugging, drugs and cheap sex you’re in the right part of town. Out here the dealers work hard and the girls work harder. They would make any dream you have come true – if you have enough dough to cover the costs. I knew my way around, and in a place like this that was critical.

As I walked through doors of the local motel the overpowering smell of stale drinks, smokes, and vomit filled the air. I have always wondered why anyone would want to meet here, I am sure it is possible to contract any number of diseases by just walking through the front doors. I had a purpose here, as I would suppose most do, but my purpose pays and I hate to leave clients waiting.

“You the director?” The desk clerk flash his toothless smile at me. I could have told him I was God and I doubt he would have objected, but that’s the common male response to this particular ensemble.

“Yes, are they here then?” I ask while paying the going hourly rate. Making sure to slip an extra twenty to ensure my presence here would not be remembered by any of those who might inquire. The ability to disappear into my surroundings was an essential asset to my profession.

“Room 208, it connects to them … the way you asked for” The clerk said while handing me the key and nodding his head to the stairs. After that he return to whatever it was he was doing before my little interruption. I guess that’s all the customer service the extra cash got me, but in this world it was all that could be expected.

I climbed the stairs the clerk indicated and went down the hall until I reached my room. As I entered, I placed the “Do Not Disturb” sign on the outside of the door. I didn’t believe a place like this would even employ maids, but you can never be too safe.

I started to set up shop and was thankful that the desk clerk had put the happy couple in the room I requested. In a place like this, no one even noticed a few extra holes in the wall. I was getting all the camera angles I needed, plus a few I didn’t. It turned out to be my lucky day, these subjects didn’t need any direction at all. Sometimes people make this job to easy, but it could just be that I love what I do!

After about 45 minutes of action shots, and I should interject an award here for endurance, they were finally ready to call it quits. They dressed and left the room without a word, I guess it was back to business as usual. I packed up my stuff, returned the key, and headed to the office.

I had the usual afternoon run of business calls to make and appointments to fill. The bills don’t pay themselves, you know. Later that evening, I reviewed my hotel footage, outlined the important parts, made some stills and called my client to discuss the details.

“Can you talk now?” I questioned, listening intently for the ok to continue, some matters were best not to be jumped into. And besides, when you are talking to the wife of a judge, you wanted to be sure all of your i’s were dotted and your t’s were crossed.

“Yes, I was at the motel today… How about you stop by tomorrow … 9:00 am works … my policy is cash only” and I hung up the phone. I have to admit I started seeing my financial situation improving by the second.

I made some copies, cleaned up my work space, placed the pertinent documents into the safe, and locked up for the night. Driving home I thought tomorrow might get a little touchy, but I made the choice to go this route and it this was just part of the job.

She was my first appointment of the day. I figured she would want the privacy, a women in her position would hardly want to be caught in my office. She was alone when she walked in. I had my roles to play, as I suspected, did she.

”Mrs. Powers, this way” I stated as I escorted her back to my office. “Please have a seat”. She sat, but even in this little office she commanded an aire of wealth and power.

“Let’s get to it detective … Do you have the footage showing my husband’s extramarital affairs?”

Right to the point, in my line of work I could respect that. I shot down the notion of small talk, thank God for small favors, and handed her the money shots I had taken the day before. I always find, when dealing with affairs, it is best to hit them hard and fast. I like to think it makes it easier to expect the information I present, good or bad.

When it has just been confirmed that a spouse has been cheating on you, a wide array of possible reactions can occur. Some people cry, or make excuses, in others you can almost see the plotting of revenge begin to occur; but none of these are was I saw on Mrs Powers face. I saw glee.

“Thank you detective … this is exactly what I need to take that cheating bastard to the cleaners…”
© Copyright 2010 carrtina (carrtina at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1666520-Just-another-job-