*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1666226-ESOL-in-India
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: · Article · Other · #1666226
TESOL in India
ESOL in India: The Basic Instructional Models.



ESOL and TESOL was, remains and shall remain one of the widest paradigms listed under learning platforms in the world. Thinking in a slightly country-specific parameter, one begins to see the difficulty of the Trainer when he or she is called upon fall back upon a  clear model of instruction or a clear standard of practice. Under the influence of the Common European Framework of Reference in language teaching, assessment and learning, one would have settled down to pre-set methodologies which had the scope of becoming dogma, thereby making it easier for a trainer to either confirm or parrot, according to one’s individual grasp of delivery and presentation skills. But the influx of multiple standards of assessment and certification, including WIDA and FLARE somewhat obscuring the standard and good old SIOP/CALLA Models, and with the clear entry of the American players and the NCLB Act of December 2001in the USA, the frameworks of practice and training strategy requires a massive restructuring. The first step to the same would be de-jargonisation and simplification of the B.I.M.(Basic Instructional Models/ Methodologies) in ESOL and TESOL.



Four models of instruction are which can be considered would be: Submersion; Immersion, Sheltered Immersion and Bilingual Education and their definitions. Included with each model is a "phrase" that will aide in remembering what each model represents. The advantages and disadvantages for each model are also categorized.



If one could be a little India specific as it not only happens to the author’s country of birth but also one where he has functioned in this field for a sustained period of time, and in diverse roles from Training Consultant  to Training Coordinator to Training Manager in the very field of TESOL, then one could state that it has been a sustaining observation that living in a nation constructed of many diverse cultures provides teachers many unique conditions to their already challenging world of education. This country, as it is known today, has one of the largest concentrations of English Language Learners hailing from diverse strata possessing diverse learning needs and abilities. Students that speak other languages are increasing in school systems. Teaching English for Speakers of Other Language (TESOL) is a very progressive field of education that attempts to meet the needs of these students in the all  setting. As in all education arenas, there are a huge variety of opinions of what works best to teach the English Language Learners (ELL).



There is an overshadowing amount of information concerning the debate of the pros and cons of bilingual education in India, while not a lot of explicit information describing the other currently implemented models. In addition, the approaches, programs and models are often all grouped together as " TESOL". After careful consideration, one may determine that there are four main models of instruction used specifically with the English Language Learner. The four models presented are: Submersion, Immersion, Structured Immersion, and Bilingual Education. When discussing the models of instruction, they all have the same goal, "the acquisition of English language skills so that the language-minority learner can succeed in English-only paradigms”.



However, there are three main factors that provide the distinctions between them: whether the first language is utilized in instruction; how long the student receives ESL support; and the training of the teachers. In addition, many issues often have a large impact on these three factors such as money, availability of ESOL trained teachers, availability of bilingual teachers, number of LEP students, and beliefs of the administration and public. With this in mind, one understands fully the controversies that follow this field and the instructional models that are utilized.



The four models of instruction are defined as follows:



Submersion: takes place in an environment in which only one language is used. The student is in a "sink-or-swim" situation. There is no attempt to aid the student in understanding the "new" language.





•        Students are provided many examples of the second language.



•        Student’s first language is never spoken and adequate amounts of individualized instruction are not given in second language.



•        It is cost effective for Training Organisations and no teacher training is needed.  Teachers may not be familiar with student’s language or culture.



•        Students may be treated as intellectually inferior because they do not speak, read and/or write adequately in second language as soon as expected.



•        Students may experience frustration, low motivation, and/or high anxiety due to the demanding content and instruction.



•        No modifications are made for students.







Immersion: takes place in an environment in which only one language is used; however, there are attempts made to adjust the learning experience for the student.





•        Students are provided many examples of second language.      Student’s first language is never spoken and adequate amounts of individualized instruction are not given in the second language.



•        Focus is on student’s construction of knowledge.         



•        Students may not understand the language enough to be able to construct knowledge.



•        Classroom discourse is adjusted to student’s needs, such as, simplified sentences, pictures, etc.         



•        Students may not understand classroom discourse as soon as expected .



•        It is cost effective for School Boards and minimal teacher training is needed.



•        Teachers may not receive the support they need for aiding the LEP student.



•        Students feel more comfortable in the Immersion classroom than the Submersion Classroom and may take more risks. 



•        Lack of models for 2nd language acquisition.



•        Students may be treated as intellectually inferior because they do not speak, read and/or write adequately in second language as soon as expected.







Structure(Sheltered) Immersion: is an environment in which students are taught lessons in a protected manner and are gradually mainstreamed totally in the regular classroom. ESOL pull-out classes are a method of structured immersion.





•        Students are provided many examples of second language in the regular classroom.      There are no native speakers of the target language in the pull-out classroom besides the teacher.



•        The focus is on content knowledge with support in the acquisition of the second language.       



•        Students may not be acquiring second language fast enough and fall behind in grade levels.



•        English is used, modified, and taught at a level appropriate to the class of English learner.       



•        Students may still need explanation and/or clarity provided in their first language.



•        The teacher is trained in ESOL and is familiar with the culture. However, they may not be fluent in the student’s language.



•        Students are gradually mainstreamed into the regular classroom.           



•        The students may be mainstreamed before they are ready.



•        The students may feel comfortable in the ESOL classroom and more willing to take risks.         



•        Students may be stigmatized for going to ESOL class in the "Pull-out" model.







Bilingual Education: is an environment in which all students are taught using a combination of first and second languages.











•        All students use their first language in order to learn their second.



•        Speakers of other languages are not provided for adequately.



•        Both groups of language users serve as models for each other.



•        Students may be become dependent on instruction in their first language and not try to understand content in the 2nd language.



•        The classroom teacher is proficient in both languages and will instruct knowledge in both languages.  Current classroom teachers would be required to learn and become fluent in a foreign language. This would take additional time and money.



•        The students all stay in one classroom and the stigma of the pull out class is not present.         



•        School boards must have trained individuals and resources in both languages.



•        Students are more successful in acquiring second language because literacy development is fostered in their first language. This provides for a stronger transfer of knowledge.     



•        Student’s self-esteem is fostered because it is a low risk environment and both languages and cultures are valued.             







In conclusion, we found that the four main models of English for Students of Other Languages (ESOL) instruction: used in India are: Submersion; Immersion; Structured/Sheltered Immersion; and Bilingual Education. All had advantages and disadvantages. The newest model internationally speaking and the one that is receiving the most attention is the Sheltered Immersion. Included in this category is the pull-out model, cluster program, ESOL Laboratory, etc. The most controversial model is the Bilingual Education model. It is a learner-centered approach that fosters the learner’s first language while teaching the second. Debates continue till date.



Factors that aid in deciding which model any TESOL Training Organisation decides to use include allocated money, availability of ESOL trained teachers, availability of bilingual teachers, number of LEP students, and beliefs of the administration and public. Many controversies surround this field of training as in every field of education. One would hope that the TESOL Training Organisation s would remember that our focus as educators should be on the Learner and how best we can educate them.
© Copyright 2010 satrajit.sanyal (sat.sanyal at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1666226-ESOL-in-India