*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1643447-Misguided
Rated: 18+ · Fiction · Drama · #1643447
This depicts a young woman in the middle of two important men in her life.
I wrote this story in college, which is why it isn't longer because we had a required min/max on page amount. Enjoy!





Misguided



“You can’t keep me here.”

The man positioned opposite of Alexis turned on his heels slowly, as if to avoid startling his prey. His verdant gaze pierced his objectors while enfolding his muscled arms across his chest, acknowledging he was acting as if he had all the time in the world, and, perhaps he did.

“You can leave anytime you wish. You know that.”

Alexis’s expression displayed wild desperation. Her hands clasped her ebony robe tight to her flesh as if protecting more than her nudity. She couldn’t fathom the last time she had decent clothes on and waking up this morning (or was it afternoon?) in a state of undress finally rubbed her the wrong way. “I don’t know what game you’re playing but I’m through.”

He laughed. “If memory serves me right, wasn’t it you, my dear, that proposed we play that very pleasurable game you invented last night?”

Alexis scowled as his laughter rose with intensity. “Hunter, I’m serious! I don’t know what day it is or even what time it is! I haven’t worn or seen my clothes for who knows how long and I’ve never in my life woken up when the sun was going down…I can’t keep doing this. It’s like your world doesn’t coincide with reality.”

“Everything you’ve done has been voluntary,” he reminded her. The edges of his voice were beginning to sour as his temper flared. “I have done nothing against your will and you know it.” Hunter closed the remaining distance between him and Alexis almost inhumanely quick and used her surprise to tear the robe from her grasp before drawing her naked body against him. “Do you know what I think, Alexis?”

With every breath he denied, it wavered across her lips due to the unnerving nearness of him. “What?” Alexis managed to squeak, her fear so high Hunter could just about taste it.

“I don’t think you want to leave. In fact, I’m going to give you a choice.” His arms flexed, pressing Alexis tighter against his chest. “You’ll find your clothes downstairs in the closet across from the great hall. You can take them and go if you’d like. However, there is a far better prize upstairs, in the seventh bedroom to your right. It will be on the dresser. I’ll come find you after you’ve made your decision.”

Alexis’s brows creased in confusion. “What’s upstairs?”

Hunter released her so abruptly she stumbled back and had to catch herself on the doorframe. “A ring.” He smiled and turned his back to her in obvious dismissal.

Alexis moved slowly at first through the first floor, contemplating her future with every precise movement. The difficulty in making a decision urged Alexis to want a drink for the first time. It’s a shame he doesn’t keep any alcohol in his house, she thought.

As she neared the staircase, her legs, having made up her mind for her, pressed her forward in a hurried manner. She desperately sought an exit after claiming her clothes from the closet and putting them on. Alexis reassured herself, I can’t keep running my life like this. It’s not normal!

The sunlight hurt her eyes when Alexis stepped out onto side deck. When was the last time she’d been outside? This question only increased her confidence about leaving, although once she was in her car, her body froze. Alexis’s thoughts reflected on the ring that would never find its owner. Her addiction to Hunter was beyond anything she’d ever experienced and a large part of her feared that it was too late to break it. She couldn’t live her life intoxicated by a man. Never again, she promised herself.

But as she urged her car from the driveway, Alexis looked back.



Alexis’s gaze swept across the entrails of the vast space that normally presented itself in utter disarray. Tonight, however, the oak wood bookcase had been tidied and shoved against the embrace of the southern wall rather than straying mischievously out beneath the sky lights that illuminated the center of the room. Twin leather couches enriched with ebony remain poised across from one another as if on the verge of battle over the sleek mahogany table at ease between them. A shiver lured bumps to rise upon her skin as she crossed the threshold further into the shadowed vicinity that embodied every aspect of the man whose essence claimed more than just this room, more than just this house.

Why am I back here? Alexis rubbed her hands up and down her arms in order to provide what little warmth she could. How does he still have me wrapped around his damn little finger? I hate him for that. And I hate this damn house of his. He needs something much smaller, something where he could more easily corner his prey because what else would he do besides make money and sleep with women?

She flicked her attention onto the raven-colored curtains that draped heavily to the floor; mirroring the tainted spirit that lied within him. The invited breeze wavered through the open windows failing to affect the curtains; instead it licked across the spacious rug that appeared to have been soaked in blood, cooling it off enough to drive Alexis’s feet upward in mild surprise before she pressed them down again in recent reassurance. It was in that moment that she fell victim to his piercing gaze and turned beneath the weight of it to face him with nervous anticipation. Dear God just let me stay mad at him.

         “You came,” he said, lacking almost complete emotion. Only the scarcest notion of pleasure preceded his guard through startling cerulean eyes. It was difficult to come to terms with herself on the fact that only those intimate with him would ever recognize that reserved expression.

         “You’re drunk,” Alexis stated rather absentmindedly. Under the surface she was actually hurt but would never confess that to him; doubting it would make much of a difference anyway.

         The glass of scotch remaining sturdy in his grasp caught her attention as the ice cubes rattled in audacious hostility toward her discomfort. Insulting Alexis’s discretion, the drink mocked her further by wetting the lips of its master, tasting what she has longed to, yet since been self-denied.

         Although Alexis could scarcely make out his naked arm that clutched the enemy in the form of liquid scotch, her mind, having memorized previous details, filled in what would otherwise be lost in the choking dusky light; skin taut and darkened naturally outside from hard labor that is the maker of solid muscle presented itself across his body. All of which was almost entirely hidden beneath a stark white t-shirt and ragged blue-jeans. Only the arms, head and feet were bare and the latter didn’t surprise her since the man himself would parade barefoot incessantly if not for the disagreeing social standard.

         “How is it,” he began with a phony slur, “that you always know?”

         It wasn’t exactly a stupid question considering that fact that he was the only drunk she ever knew or even heard of who held his liquor so well that he actually became sharper, wittier in fact, rather than the usual bumbling idiot.

“Do you have the pictures?” she said impatiently, choosing to ignore his question. “I want them all, including the copies.”

It was as if all of a sudden she was exhausted and wanted nothing more than to retreat back to her Toyota RAV4 parked in a manner that allowed her the best means of peeling out of there in case of an emergency. Unfortunately, this abrupt swarm of nerves didn’t exactly fall under the category of “emergency” and that was a shame.

         He watched Alexis rather than reply right away, which only increased her anxiety. She was determined to show almost no emotion and with clenching hands, tilted her chin slightly higher in utter defiance.

         “Not yet,” he countered dismissingly, smiling all the while. “I told you I’d call you when I had them ready.”

         Alexis’s brows creased in aggravation. “No, you said to give you a week. I gave you a week and a half.” She enfolded her arms over her chest in order to keep herself from strangling him with all of her might. “This shouldn’t be as difficult as you’re making it.”

         He shrugged as if he didn’t care who was right. “Sorry.” After swirling the contents of his glass, he stole another gulp of liquor only this time finishing off its contents with a satisfied smack of his lips.

         Alexis turned away in disgust. “Just drop them off in my mailbox, and I want every single picture.” Signaling that the conversation was over, she proceeded past him. Just before she slid out of reach his hand lunged forward like a whip. He grasped her left wrist with decisive strength, fingers tightening to prove their worth.

         Wide-eyed, Alexis desired to struggle yet instead remained completely still, poised with awaited breath for what came next, which, of course, couldn’t have been further from what she had imagined.

         He inched closer, face tilted downward to sustain his gaze fixated upon hers. His breath mingled with the air above her lips due to the nearness of their bodies and she tasted more than smelled the scotch that overwhelmed it.

“Luke,” he said tightly, “wouldn’t be upset?”

         Images of her fiancée flashed across her mind, shaking Alexis from her trance and she immediately jerked her arm from his clutch in order to shy away from his intoxicating presence.

         “Luke will be fine,” she assured in a stern manner. “He’s confident because I’m marrying him.. I’m not wasting my time with you any longer.”

With that, she tossed him a hardened glare before giving him her back and storming out of his house. When she was secure in the Toyota, she gripped the steering wheel so stiffly that her knuckles began to pale. Alexis didn’t immediately grope for her keys buried in her purse. She didn’t see any real reason to; not now that he was no longer around. But when he was…what was it about him that succeeded to shatter every ounce of control she possessed? Alexis’s breath lost its intensity as she suddenly thought, Luke was the obvious choice, afterall. He wasn’t cold, calculated or mysterious, which were qualities that a woman craved if she desired a one-night-stand. No woman with any sense would actually marry such a man. Luke wasn’t bred to be a thriving businessman, either, or taught to conceal his emotions during every waking moment. Surely those were good enough reasons for picking Luke.

Her hand trembled as she sought the ignition with the key and once it was discovered, twisted the metal forcefully, causing the engine to roar with irritation. She had nothing to be guilty about; nothing. Alexis refused to think about any man on the way home.



Luke was seated quietly at the kitchen table when she entered the room in unsettling fashion. A couple racks of ribs, the center of attention, lay untouched with a dish of cheesy mashed potatoes and one dish of sweet corn positioned diagonal from it. Twin scarlet candles towered above the assortment, even over the four glasses filled separately with wine and ice water. It all appeared so serene yet Alexis knew the atmosphere was ridden with tension.

The only indication that Luke had even stirred was the visual that proved the contents of his wine glass was empty. His back was to her and Alexis caught herself studying the dusky golden locks of hair on his head and inadvertently comparing it to the darkened russet coloring of the other man in order to delay the impending argument. She wanted nothing more than to retreat upstairs, especially knowing that he was about to guilt-trip her into submission.

“Alexis,” Luke said with a tone of disappointment. 

“Hey,” she said cautiously. Alexis sauntered across the tiled floor and forced herself to sit for the duration of what was to come. Fingering her wine glass, she waited with her head down and eyes rolled upward in attempt to appear as apologetic and innocent as possible. 

Luke sighed. “I’m afraid to ask where you were. I’m afraid I already know the answer.” His hazel irises seized hers in mute melancholy, encompassing Alexis’s heart with increasing guilt that seemed to gnaw at it without end.

“I’m sorry, Luke. I just dropped by to get my things.”

“And that’s supposed to reassure me?” he said. “It’s never that simple with Hunter; we both know that.”

Alexis swallowed hard. “I don’t know what you want me to say.”

Luke, no longer able to control his temper, vaulted from his chair. Almost in protest, it kissed the floor with boisterous outrage. “Damnit, Alexis! What do you think I want you to say?” He seized the edges of the table and rattled it with emphasis. “Tell me you’re not fucking him!”

Insulted, Alexis leapt to her feet to mimic her fiancée. “I’m not!”

“How am I supposed to believe that?”

“Are you telling me you don’t trust me?”

Luke shook his head as if suddenly at a loss for words. “I don’t know,” he said. “I’m tired of biting my tongue about this situation. If you’re marrying me then I don’t see a reason for you to see Hunter ever again. Period.”

Alexis blinked, breathless and without thought. It took her a moment to recover and just as she was opening her mouth to respond, the phone began ringing in urgent plea. At first, no one moved for a few heartbeats but with Luke concentrating on burning a hole through the center of his plate just by staring, Alexis was the one to answer it.

“Who was it?” Luke said through gritted teeth as soon as Alexis hung up.

The tension in her body was enough to further unnerve her fiancée. “Hunter. He’s outside.”

“What?” Luke straightened up immediately as his eyes scanned Alexis’s face for humor or falsity, which, unfortunately, was absent of anything but truth.

“He’s dropping off something of mine I left at his place when we were dating, if you can call it that.”

“Tonight? Why?”

“I told him he could,” Alexis said. She felt a tremor of regret race up her spine as she squared off with Luke. Although she felt horrible that the object of their fight was standing on their front stoop, Alexis couldn’t help but experience some gratitude in that it might all be over before tomorrow.

As soon as the doorbell rang, Luke stalked to the foyer and parted the door from its frame with one swift jerk. Hunter had his back to him while peering out across the front lawn in seemingly incoherent thought. “You piece of shit,” Luke said, seizing Hunter’s attention and jarring him from his trance.

Hunter turned with a smile. “Hello, Luke. I haven’t seen you in awhile.”

“Shut up.” Luke stepped forward in Hunter’s face, insulting his boundaries and was hindered only by the fact that he was inches shorter than his opponent and had to slightly look up.

Hunter didn’t seem the least bit intimidated, and in fact, appeared to be highly amused by the situation. Alexis, on the contrary, did not find it as entertaining as Hunter did. She shoved her way in between the two men and glared at Hunter. “Do you have my things?”

“Right here,” he said, tapping his fingers on the faded orange package that was on the porch railing. “But I want to talk to you first.”

“Fuck you!” Luke interrupted.

Hunter shifted his attention to the other male. “I don’t have to. Alexis has been doing the honors.”

Alexis’s eyes widened with absolute terror. Her face exploded into a series of angry and sickened expressions that Hunter ignored. Instead, his gaze was glued to Luke’s whose mouth twitched slightly to reveal his innocence.

It was all Hunter needed. “Don’t tell me you didn’t know,” he said with fake concern.

Luke glanced at his fiancé to confirm his worst nightmare. Her doused cheeks and horrified irises revealed the truth, which he didn’t want to believe. All this time she had been sleeping with the enemy behind his back and the intimate details that haunted his mind caused his stomach to lurch.

What happened next was a blur.

Luke launched himself at Hunter in severe rage, his fists moving on their own accord without much thought on his end. Out of five swings, only one made contact. Hunter blocked all but the stray punch that had slammed into his stomach, hard. Alexis, who had been in the way and was cast aside by Hunter right before the outburst, shrieked for them to stop. Neither of them heard her, but Hunter’s first and last offensive attack ceased all confrontation the moment his fist struck Luke’s cheekbone, sending him reeling in a 360 degree motion before collapsing to his knees.

Alexis flinched, preparing herself to go to Luke’s aid when all of a sudden he climbed to his feet on his own accord. He did not turn around on his way back in the house, but he did pause in the doorway. “Don’t come back. I don’t want to see your face again.”

Luke’s brutal door slam caused Alexis to jump, but Hunter remained motionless, eyes cast over Alexis in disproval as he sought to catch his breath. “It’s done now. You know that.”

Alexis shook her head as if to stop him from saying more. “No, it’s not. It can’t be. Not like this.”

Hunter didn’t reply. He didn’t need to because she already knew it was over. He reached for Alexis, palm up with the package visibly in hand. Alexis eyed it carefully at first before taking it at last. It was as if every emotion that had whittled away hence returned to her and she couldn’t stop the torrential waterfall of tears.

Hunter continued to be silent a short while, causing Alexis to visibly shift with unease. Her fingertips itched, but she refused to open the envelope knowing the dirty images that were stacked inside had contributed to her ruined relationship with Luke. Not because Hunter used them to blackmail her shortly after she and Luke began dating, but because she had gone along with it. Oh, of course she’d fought with Hunter, begged, even attempted to bargain, all of which were acts done in vain, yet deep down inside she had flourished beneath his dominance.

“Alexis, look at me.” When she made eye contact, Hunter continued very slowly, asserting himself over her. “That’s not the only reason I came over here tonight. I wanted to give you something else.”

He withdrew a diamond ring from his pocket but did not offer it to her at first.

“Hunter…” she said in utter disbelief. “Why are you giving me this? Why now? Luke…”

“I couldn’t bring myself to do it,” he explained as he peered at her apprehensively. Always cool and collected, this new behavior mystified Alexis and caused her stomach to tighten with discomfort. “When you turned my proposal down, I was stunned. I couldn’t fathom why you said no when every woman before you would have given me nothing but yes if I had proposed to them. I was so confident,” he continued with a bitter smile, “that I could make you my wife. After all, you were the only woman I ever proposed to.”

Alexis swallowed, uncertain to where this was heading. A part of her was thrilled, however, because she’d never heard anything remotely close to this from Hunter about their past. She had constantly guessed about how she’d hurt him, not hurt him; heard his distant laughter as if he’d meant for all of it to be a joke and she had believed he wanted to marry her.

“I’m sorry, Alexis, that the moment I realized how much I loved you was the day you left me. I wanted you back. Bad. But it wasn’t until you started dating Luke six months later that I became obsessed. I finally understood that I could lose you for good.” Hunter leaned his muscular frame toward Alexis to say, “I didn’t realize until now that I was never going to lose you.”

Alexis had to think for a minute about what he was saying. “No, not even you are that confident in yourself. Besides, you’re the one that told Luke. You ruined it.”

Hunter squeezed her left hand firmly as he drew it to him. His fingers clasped over the offender’s metal and he rolled it as if declaring dominance and power. “Yes, but you’re the one who came to me time and time again behind Luke’s back. And there’s no question about it- this needs to come off,” he stated matter-of-fact.

“I came to you because you blackmailed me with these!” She rattled the envelope with the inappropriate pictures inside. 

“You could have gone to the police, or hell, even your unsuspecting boyfriend any time.” His gaze pierced hers without fault as he began to twist Luke’s engagement ring from her finger knowing he had won the argument. 

“Stop!” Alexis yanked her hand back and cradled it to her as she reflected upon what was said. She had meant to put that all behind her and never let Luke find out the truth. Now it was too late. He might not even take her back. Everything was happening so fast that she didn’t have the time, nor the heart to alter her decision.



When Alexis stepped through the front door several hours later, Luke was in the kitchen, sagged on the floor between the island and the cabinets below the sink. She was timid approaching him because of what he had said earlier and because his face was flushed with anger and grief.

Alexis felt as if her nerves were going to tear her ribs asunder along with every other bone in her body. She drew a deep breath that ended up shallow and dissipated but she pressed on having no other option. “Luke,” Alexis choked. When it appeared he wasn’t going to look up, she went on. “Luke, I can’t tell you how sorry I am the way I’ve treated you. I know nothing I can say or do now will take away anything I’ve done but I want to tell you that I’ll be out of your life for good. I’m getting my things and I’m leaving. You’ll never have to see me again just like you wanted.”

         Before she turned to leave, Luke’s voice rose from his position on the floor. “Just tell me one thing: Did you ever stop loving him?”

         With their eyes locked, Alexis released all of her tension and said, “No. I never did.”

© Copyright 2010 kimberlyelizabeth (kimberlymu23 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1643447-Misguided